Albert Popwell

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 14, 2004
      Hello Jim

      Albert Popwell played one of the Matthew & Melvin Johnson brothers that
      Cleo called upon for back-up in both films & it was quite a significant
      part.

      Both films went out on video budget a couple years ago over here, although
      by then I already owned the first film - & you're right about the title of
      the second. Incidentally, both films had novelisations made of them written
      by Ron Goulart. It's theme music comes up on the Blacksploitation theme
      music CDs although it also had its own screenmusic CD. (JJ Johndson
      composer. Warner Bros: 93924-48090-2).

      Gotta go

      Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
      http://www.computercrowsnestbooks.co.uk
      THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
      THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

      AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats

      Yahoo ranks SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

      DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/

      Google PageRanks SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

      Alexa ranks SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://www.alexa.com/browse/general?catid=56670&mode=general

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2010
        Geoff wrote:
        >... Of the Search Control, the late great Albert Popwell was probably the most significant roles afterwards with marked diversity. I mean, he was in each of the Dirty Harry films, mostly as villains but a cop in the last one as well as appearing in the Cleopatra Jones movies. He was so clean-cut in Search.

        He likely enjoyed playing the non-bank robber/non-pimp roles that the the last DIRTY HARRY film and SEARCH offered. ;)

        As most of you know, it was to Popwell that Eastwood was speaking when he uttered his 'immortal' "Do you feel lucky... punk?" line.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maBJzJgYjto

        When I spoke to Ginny Golden (now Navarro), she said the cast referred to him as 'Poppy.' I could tell in her voice that she had a special affection for him.

      • parrottm76262
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2010
          I always enjoyed Popwell's roles. He had the ability to 'sell' his acting so effortlessly.

          Martin from Texas