Re: [probe_control] Re: Editing

  • C. Dixon
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
      --- Morningstar <amstar@...> wrote:
      > I am just about to stop watching broadcast
      > television all together.
      > Right now I am watching only about six shows, and
      > half of them are
      > "Law & Order" and "CSI."

      I think I am right up there with you! I ordered cable
      for my kids, and had hoped that the extra channels
      would carry something interesting, unusual or just
      plain entertaining.
      The most fun I have is watching the cat when we have
      Animal Planet on. Since he actually watches it
      (especially the "Animal Cops" series) HE is more
      entertaining than the tube is.
      Maybe part of the problem is that writers today have
      been turned out of "puppy mills" (no pun from the
      cat). They have been taught to write inside the
      bubble, and all the shows seem to be similar in a lot
      of ways. Watch "Smallville", "90210", "Buffy" and
      anything that has people on it from Fox, you will see
      what I mean.
      "Enterprise" was a show I had high hopes for, and I am
      greatly dissapointed with it. It's the same stuff,
      different day. The plots evolve the same way, the crew
      reacts to situations the same way, etc.
      Here was a vehicle that could have capitalized (sic?)
      on Capt. Pike, or Robert T. April, all Kirk
      predecessors. The books are good, and have unusual
      ideas, they could have carried the way for a great
      series, kept the older audience and still had some
      CHARM for the younger generation.
      The last series I was rabid about was Babylon 5. It
      was sinister, well written, wasn't gimmick oriented
      (they used nukes for goodness sakes, in battle) and
      had good plot twists.
      24 never caught my eye, I watch CSI (not the Miami one
      tho')and Monk when I get a chance, and the news.
      My Mom has a theory, that all the good songs, good
      plots and books have been written. All the original
      themes are done with, and modern novels, shows and
      music are simply variations on a theme.
      There, off the soap box.
      End Run
      Chris

    • cmaurelius
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
        - My
        > ex-wife had her eyes opened when she watched her favorite film--MY FAIR
        > LADY--for the first time in widescreen. She saw people, dancers, whole
        > performances... that she'd never knew existed... and was an advocate of
        > letterboxing from that moment on.
        >
        > But I digress. My point is... it's about education. People just
        don't KNOW
        > what they're missing.

        Exactly. I had forgotten how well filmed "The Outlaw Josie Wales" was
        until I saw the letter boxed edition on a big TV. Wow. Old Clint does
        have a "romantic" eye for scenery!
      • Morningstar
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
          Well, the problem is not really the writing, although it is part of
          the problem. The real problem is the producers and networks. I don't
          mean that as an insult, but a reality.

          For instance, Fox took a gamble on "American Idol." It was a copy of a
          show that did well in Great Britain called "Pop Idol." Now, it is all
          "American Idol" all the time. "Survivor" started in Great Britain, now
          it is the cornerstone of CBS.

          While I like "CSI: Miami" it is an off shoot of "CSI." The same goes
          for "Law & Order." Producers and networks go with what works. When
          something is successful, the networks say "Get me a reality show. Get
          me a crime show. Get me a lawyer show." It has been this way forever.

          Back in the late eighties, remember "Space Rangers?" That came about
          because "Star Trek: The Next Generation" was making money. So, get me
          some science fiction show. However, few people know how to write good
          science fiction. Science fiction, as we know, is for a higher minded
          person. We are comfortable with technology, so when we watch Lockwood
          do something, he has to be right scientifically. It might be similar
          when a policeman following the laws, or a lawyer doing his business in
          court. But, while most people know some of the law, fewer know about
          science.

          A girlfriend of mine made a comment that in "Star Trek: The Voyage
          Home" that the director and producers took pride in the intelligence
          of their audience by showing the Enterprise with the registry
          NCC-1701-A, and not having it specifically mentioned by the actors.

          You mentioned "Babylon 5." I really liked that show. It was great. I
          liked the writing, and the way the characters had backgrounds and
          foibles. I think that J. Michael Staczinsky is a great writer.

          Again, however, people have screwed up. For some reason J. Michael
          Straczinsky left "Jeremiah." Why would producers do things to drive
          someone as creative as him?

          "Beauty and the Beast" was also a well written show. I have spoken to
          George R. R. Martin and found him to be quite clever. Again, it is the
          writing that carries a show.

          With this new change in television production, with dvd and television
          on demand, perhaps this will be the turning point for creativity. ABC
          screwed up with "Monk." They let it slip through their fingers, and
          now it is a hit on USA.

          Again, it is the different that is a hit. Producers don't like to take
          chances. They would rather have a mediocre show that lasts than have a
          glorious failure.

          Just my nickel.

          --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "C. Dixon" <cmaurelius@y...> wrote:

          > --- Morningstar <amstar@c...> wrote:
          > > I am just about to stop watching broadcast
          > > television all together.
          > > Right now I am watching only about six shows, and
          > > half of them are
          > > "Law & Order" and "CSI."
          > >
          > I think I am right up there with you! I ordered cable
          > for my kids, and had hoped that the extra channels
          > would carry something interesting, unusual or just
          > plain entertaining.
          > The most fun I have is watching the cat when we have
          > Animal Planet on. Since he actually watches it
          > (especially the "Animal Cops" series) HE is more
          > entertaining than the tube is.
          > Maybe part of the problem is that writers today have
          > been turned out of "puppy mills" (no pun from the
          > cat). They have been taught to write inside the
          > bubble, and all the shows seem to be similar in a lot
          > of ways. Watch "Smallville", "90210", "Buffy" and
          > anything that has people on it from Fox, you will see
          > what I mean.
          > "Enterprise" was a show I had high hopes for, and I am
          > greatly dissapointed with it. It's the same stuff,
          > different day. The plots evolve the same way, the crew
          > reacts to situations the same way, etc.
          > Here was a vehicle that could have capitalized (sic?)
          > on Capt. Pike, or Robert T. April, all Kirk
          > predecessors. The books are good, and have unusual
          > ideas, they could have carried the way for a great
          > series, kept the older audience and still had some
          > CHARM for the younger generation.
          > The last series I was rabid about was Babylon 5. It
          > was sinister, well written, wasn't gimmick oriented
          > (they used nukes for goodness sakes, in battle) and
          > had good plot twists.
          > 24 never caught my eye, I watch CSI (not the Miami one
          > tho')and Monk when I get a chance, and the news.
          > My Mom has a theory, that all the good songs, good
          > plots and books have been written. All the original
          > themes are done with, and modern novels, shows and
          > music are simply variations on a theme.
          > There, off the soap box.
          > End Run
          > Chris

        • Mike Valerio
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
            networks....again, it is the writing that carries a
            show. <<<<

            No, it�s the audience. The audience carries the show.

            It�s not the writing that carries AMERICAN IDOL or
            SURVIVOR. There�s no writing in those shows.

            Next season, we�re going to have four LAW & ORDER
            shows and three CSI shows on the air.

            Why? Because of the writing? No, because people tune
            in.

            CBS just yanked CENTURY CITY off the air after a
            couple of airings.

            Why? Because the writing was bad?

            No. Because nobody watched it.

            TV is an instrument of pure capitalism. The
            marketplace rules. Every single minute of every single
            day, the TV business holds an election and the
            audience is offered the opportunity to vote with their
            remotes.

            If enough people tune in, the show stays on. If they
            don�t, it doesn�t.

            You can blame producers and networks for mediocre,
            redundant product if you like. But as a television
            professional of nearly 25 years, I�m telling you
            that�s narrow and misguided thinking.

            Taco Bell doesn�t stay in business because they make
            great Mexican food. They stay in business because huge
            numbers of people eat there. If people stopped eating
            at Taco Bell tomorrow, the company would have two
            choices: Change the product or go out of business. But
            as long as people keep showing up to chow down at Taco
            Bell, there�s no reason for the folks in charge to
            change a single thing.

            TV works exactly same way.

            You�ll get smarter shows when people stop supporting
            the dumb ones�and their carbon copies.

            - MV
          • C. Dixon
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
              Hi, Yes, I remember Space Rangers. I own the 6
              episodes. The pilot had hope, but something wierd
              happens. Literally 6 producers, 6 writers and 6 pilots
              happened.
              A good idea gone bad through mismanagement.
              Funny thing, I had fonder memories of it than it
              actually deserved. I still like 'em for the period
              peice, but they really ARE BAD :)
              Has anyone ever notised that Lost in space was more
              serious in the first season than the other years?
              The black and whites are great!

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
                --- In probe_control, "Morningstar" wrote:
                > And, I have been watching "Lost in Space" every Wednesday. The
                > episodes are good, but Fox screwed up this collection. I am only
                > through the third episode, but they messed up the intro on episode
                > 2, "The Derelict." Plus, there is no commentary or any other extras.

                Hi Morningstar: On "The Derelict," I guess you mean that episode
                begins immediately with the opening credits, then goes to the
                program. (This is the only episode which does that.)

                My understanding is that the episode aired that way on network and in
                syndication. EVERY syndicated showing I've seen has aired that way.
                Looking at the episode "teaser," for some reason it runs some 12
                minutes or more, much longer than the average LIS teaser. It's
                actually more like a teaser and Act 1 combined.

                My belief is that somehow it was determined that the opening credits
                came too late into that particular episode. After all, this was only
                the second episode, and a new show's identification with the audience
                may have been the deciding factor in where the opening credits were
                placed. That's just a guess. :-)

                I strongly doubt that Fox intentionally messed with the episode. The
                idea of digitizing to DVD is to do straight conversions of the
                original 35mm prints as the network aired them.

                I understand the cliffhangers are intact, but do the LIS episodes
                contain the mid-episode bumpers, "LIS will return after station
                identification," "LIS has been brought to you by," etc.?

                --Don H.
              • Morningstar
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 7, 2004
                  Well, point taken. However, longevity on television and longevity in
                  our collective intelligence are two different things.

                  Interesting that you use the Taco Bell analogy. I have used that and
                  McDonalds in making comparisons of quality and authenticity.

                  Granted, "Babylon 5" is a much better show than "Roseanne." However,
                  which will be around in ten years? What about twenty? Great shows have
                  died a quick death because of the numbers game. But, do you disagree
                  that there is not a market for original ideas in the movies and
                  television?

                  --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, Mike Valerio <mvscreen@s...> wrote:
                  > networks....again, it is the writing that carries a
                  > show. <<<<
                  >
                  > No, it's the audience. The audience carries the show.
                  >
                  > It's not the writing that carries AMERICAN IDOL or
                  > SURVIVOR. There's no writing in those shows.
                  >
                  > Next season, we're going to have four LAW & ORDER
                  > shows and three CSI shows on the air.
                  >
                  > Why? Because of the writing? No, because people tune
                  > in.
                  >
                  > CBS just yanked CENTURY CITY off the air after a
                  > couple of airings.
                  >
                  > Why? Because the writing was bad?
                  >
                  > No. Because nobody watched it.
                  >
                  > TV is an instrument of pure capitalism. The
                  > marketplace rules. Every single minute of every single
                  > day, the TV business holds an election and the
                  > audience is offered the opportunity to vote with their
                  > remotes.
                  >
                  > If enough people tune in, the show stays on. If they
                  > don't, it doesn't.
                  >
                  > You can blame producers and networks for mediocre,
                  > redundant product if you like. But as a television
                  > professional of nearly 25 years, I'm telling you
                  > that's narrow and misguided thinking.
                  >
                  > Taco Bell doesn't stay in business because they make
                  > great Mexican food. They stay in business because huge
                  > numbers of people eat there. If people stopped eating
                  > at Taco Bell tomorrow, the company would have two
                  > choices: Change the product or go out of business. But
                  > as long as people keep showing up to chow down at Taco
                  > Bell, there's no reason for the folks in charge to
                  > change a single thing.
                  >
                  > TV works exactly same way.
                  >
                  > You'll get smarter shows when people stop supporting
                  > the dumb ones…and their carbon copies.
                  >
                  > - MV
                • Morningstar
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 7, 2004
                    "Lost in Space" tried to be science fiction. One thing that happened
                    was that Johnathon Harris wanted to change the character of Dr. Smith.
                    If he remained a bad guy, he would be dumped off the show. But, by
                    making him "childlike" he became lovable. That way, the character
                    would have longevity.

                    As the show became more popular, and Dr. Smith, Will, and the Robot
                    became star characters, the story moved to more of a "children's show"
                    instead of a family show.

                    As competition from that little show on NBC, they wanted to get into
                    more adventures. That is one of the reasons that they were in space in
                    the third season.

                    The best part of "Lost in Space" was the moral element. It was "the
                    family Robinson" which is why it has maintained its fans for forty years.

                    "Star Trek" was science, and "Lost in Space" was fiction. 8)

                  • Morningstar
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 7, 2004
                      That should be the case. However, the original prints could have been
                      done in sections, for original broadcast and sectioned for commercial
                      insertions.

                      The format should have been deternimed, since the format is set by the
                      networks, and this was produced for CBS. But, I don't discount your
                      theory.