OT: Question for Mike about Fox

  • actingman@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2004
      Mike, I too am enjoying your insights on various parts of the industry.

      You may be too far removed from Fox in time (sometimes the powers do change often) or you may just not have had any contact with this end of things, but my question involves Fox's judgement in DVD releases.

      People in Irwin Allen fandom are glad to finally have the first season of Lost In Space on DVD, but they are confused and ticked off that it took so long to get any of his series released...and even then Fox seems to be acting like they expect the whole thing to fail...which it hasn't.

      I added to the discussion the following in trying to figure it out (and I most definitly welcome correction and disagreement): To Fox's surprise, their best selling tv series on DVD (I read or heard this) is The Family Guy. They are even thinking of putting it back into production, so if nothing else, they will have more episodes to release on DVD. You would figure that MASH would sell well...so they are releasing them with no frills whatsoever (which is fine with me). They release the Mary Tyler Moore show with very fancy packaging and a nice booklet, and commentaries and a disk full of extras...and it doesn't sell well enough (I am guessing for the cost of making it) and so there may not be any more seasons released (and my household wanted all seven seasons released.)

      Now MASH and MTM are both quality shows...but my instinct says MASH would most likely sell better then MTM...so MASH would be a better release to gamble higher costs with newly produced extras.

      Also, I pointed out that A&E is releasing a whole library of cult shows...some that have not been seen in this country in decades...and I am assuming successfully, since they continue to release them.

      So I am wondering, if you have any insights into Fox's thinking regarding DVD releases. Are they having a hard time figuring it out? The same way they can't figure out the value of SPECTRE?

      It's funny how things cycle. I remember reading that someone looking back to the 70's, and how Paramount year after year could not make up their minds to do, and then what to do with, Star Trek, said that in the time it took them to do the first Trek, Fox would have already done 5 or 6 movies.

      Again...thanks for the thoughtful observations.
    • William Simon
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8, 2004
        I, along with a lot of other people, are waiting for
        Fox to do something with all three seasons of
        MILLENNIUM. X FILES seems to be selling well. Why
        not MILLENNIUM?

        --- actingman@... wrote:
        > So I am wondering, if you have any insights into
        > Fox's thinking regarding DVD releases. Are they
        > having a hard time figuring it out? The same way
        > they can't figure out the value of SPECTRE?

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Mike Valerio
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 9, 2004
          I'm sorry, but I don't have any hard answers to your
          DVD questions. I work on the production and broadcast
          side of the business, and my experience in the home
          video end is limited.

          You might want to keep this in mind: Most new
          technology is embraced first by young people. Older
          folks take a while to cozy up to new tech. Thus, more
          young people own DVD players than old people.

          THE FAMILY GUY demographic lines right up with the DVD
          demographic. Same demographic. The MARY TYLER MOORE
          SHOW demographic is composed of the parents and
          grandparents of the FAMILY GUY audience, a lot less of
          whom actually own DVD players.

          - MV