RE: [probe_control] The Prisoner, etc

  • Marta Dawes
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 8, 2004
      I very much agree. I didn't see the initial airing, but caught it on a
      local independent in the early 80's and loved it. I've probably got the
      same badly edited version you do, but this is one film that should be
      out on DVD, uncut. They put so much garbage out and ignore worthy films
      like this.

      Marta

      http://www.steveandmarta.com

      Home of "The Graveyards of Omaha" and

      "The New Twilight Zone" websites (Alan Brennert's new book is featured
      on the site!)

      "Experience should teach us to be on our guard to protect liberty when
      government's purpose are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally
      alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The
      greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment of men of
      zeal, well meaning but without understanding."

      Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis's great statement from Olmstead v.
      United States
      <http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=277&invol

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 8, 2004
        In a message dated 3/8/2004 5:27:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        mvscreen@... writes:

        > At the time I made my pitch to the brass at Fox, the
        > X-FILES was about to be canceled and they were
        > actively looking for a supernatural suspense series to
        > replace it on the schedule. I thought that an updated
        > SPECTRE (with younger actors in the leads and the
        > additon of a regular female character) would have fit
        > the bill nicely. They disagreed and so the property
        > sits.

        This is where I come to Poltergeist The Legacy. This series began on
        Showtime. It is now seen on SCIFI Sat 3:00 am in reruns.

        It had some elements of SEARCH too. There is a secluded room within The
        Legacy mansion for the staffs' computers and research equipment. I can go on with
        much else.

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 8, 2004
          --- In probe_control, yorktowncmdr@a... wrote:
          > A few years ago I've met with Gene Roddenberry jr, and I've had a
          chance to ask questions about "Spectre" and the antecedent to "Earth
          Final Conflict."
          > Quite simply Paramount was seriously considering resurrecting "Star
          Trek." GR simply couldn't pass up the offer.

          To everyone: Good discussion thread going here, congratulations to
          all. Even though we're branching off into different areas, "Search"
          is still in the Venn Diagram. :-)

          David is correct about Trek. It was shortly after the time "Spectre"
          aired in May 1977 that the (up to then) flip-flopping efforts to
          get "Star Trek" back on TV or in the movies got serious. It was to
          be "Star Trek Phase II" or similar. May 1977 was also the
          month "Star Wars" premiered, which caused the TV plans to be shelved
          in favor of what became "ST - The Motion Picture."

          Actingman is correct about DVD extras. Some shows that scream for
          extras often don't have any, and fluffy little shows often burst at
          the seams with extras, more than you want in many cases. Speaking of
          which, I've heard that the recent "Rocky" DVD includes a tribute to
          Burgess Meredith. Has anyone seen this? I doubt there is a Search
          reference, but it should give insight into his tremendous acting
          career.

          Marta, it would be interesting to see a "Spectre" DVD, but I don't
          think Fox even released a pro tape. The European version has been
          aired on Fox Cable, which had the recut opening credits and slightly
          racier footage toward the end. Gig Young, writer Samuel A. Peeples,
          and producer Gordon Scott are unfortunately no longer with us, but
          Robert Culp, Majel Barrett, John Cameron (music) and some of the
          others could probably contribute an interview or commentary.

          Mike's observation that some legal problem caused "Search" to be
          classed as "overseas only" may be the reason the episodes haven't
          been seen in the U.S. since 1973. Probably the only thing we can do
          from here on out is to encourage someone to air the "Search" pilot
          movie once in awhile, which is available in syndication. Letters to
          Turner's Time-Warner connected TNT may still be a good place to start.

          --Don H.
        • Mike Valerio
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 9, 2004
            Don:

            Five minutes ago, I bought a copy of Weverka's SPECTRE
            novelization online...for a dollar.

            Guess there's not a lot of SPECTRE fans out there
            after all.... :-)

            - MV
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 9, 2004
              --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, Mike Valerio wrote:
              > Five minutes ago, I bought a copy of Weverka's SPECTRE
              > novelization online...for a dollar.
              > Guess there's not a lot of SPECTRE fans out there
              > after all.... :-)

              Hi Mike: Thanks for the news. It just goes to show what you can
              find on eBay. :-) Let us know if the book has anything of note
              different from the teleplay.

              By the way, I always get a good reaction to my colorful 16mm
              Fujiprint of SPECTRE at sci-fi conventions. People come up after
              it's over and ask questions about it. It was a hit with David
              Winning, it was one of the few prints of anything he'd ever seen at a
              con that wasn't faded to radish red.

              It plays effectively on a big screen with the sound cranked up and an
              audience gathered around. However, whenever I see SPECTRE on video,
              especially on a portable TV, it just sorta lays there.

              --Don H.
            • Martin Parrott
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 9, 2004
                I don't suppose there are any copies of SPECTRE out there for sale, are
                there? I have never seen it and all this buzz has me curious about it. I may
                have missed this info in an earlier part of this thread. If so, sorry, point
                me to it.

                Martin Parrott
                > > Five minutes ago, I bought a copy of Weverka's SPECTRE
                > > novelization online...for a dollar.
                > > Guess there's not a lot of SPECTRE fans out there
                > > after all.... :-)
                >
                > Hi Mike: Thanks for the news. It just goes to show what you can
                > find on eBay. :-) Let us know if the book has anything of note
                > different from the teleplay.
                >
                > By the way, I always get a good reaction to my colorful 16mm
                > Fujiprint of SPECTRE at sci-fi conventions. People come up after
                > it's over and ask questions about it. It was a hit with David
                > Winning, it was one of the few prints of anything he'd ever seen at a
                > con that wasn't faded to radish red.
                >
                > It plays effectively on a big screen with the sound cranked up and an
                > audience gathered around. However, whenever I see SPECTRE on video,
                > especially on a portable TV, it just sorta lays there.
                >
                > --Don H.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • bfiler2002000
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 9, 2004
                  --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Parrott"
                  <parrottm@h...> wrote:
                  > I don't suppose there are any copies of SPECTRE out there for
                  sale, are
                  > there? I have never seen it and all this buzz has me curious about
                  it. I may
                  > have missed this info in an earlier part of this thread. If so,
                  sorry, point
                  > me to it.
                  >
                  > Martin Parrott

                  Well, Martin, as somebody else said, it's truly amazing the things
                  you can find on Ebay. Why not go there, type in SPECTRE, and see what
                  pops up? I've been truly amazed at the items I have found relating
                  to THE DELPHI BUREAU over the past several months, I have been able
                  to find (and win) several promotional photos, though sadly, I still
                  have yet to find the photo I'm really anxious to find, tnat I had
                  years ago, and I haven't had much luck on SEARCH. Typing in SEARCH
                  or PROBE has been bringing zero results. Any ideas as to what other
                  words I could try? Leslie Stevens? Hugh O'Brian?

                • franklinberke
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 10, 2004
                    Hi Martin

                    I was intrigued when I first saw it broadcast on network TV probably
                    over 10 years ago, and I taped it then. I'll have to go through my
                    tapes to see if I still have it as well as to see what condition it's
                    in.

                    So I'll let you know; It will probably be sometime next week before I
                    have some free time to check though.

                    Take care.

                    Franklin

                    <parrottm@h...> wrote:
                    > I don't suppose there are any copies of SPECTRE out there for sale,
                    are
                    > there? I have never seen it and all this buzz has me curious about
                    it. I may
                    > have missed this info in an earlier part of this thread. If so,
                    sorry, point
                    > me to it.
                    >
                    > Martin Parrott
                  • Bruce Moffatt
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 11, 2004
                      If anybody on the list is looking for a copy of Spectre or Genesis II in
                      PAL format, I have them both on tape. Having said that, they are
                      extremely poor quality and quite old tapes recorded off free to air TV
                      back in the 80s or early 90s.

                      I'll dig the tapes up and if the quality will stand up for duping I can
                      help interested parties out.

                      Franklin if your NTSC copy is in good shape I'd love to get a copy of
                      it. I believe the edit for the US was different to the international
                      version.

                      Spectre had great (unfortunately unrealised) potential as a series I
                      think. It's a pity that it, Genesis II and Questor (does anybody have
                      that on tape?) have gone by the wayside in the transfer of so many old
                      and classic TV films to DVD

                      Cheers
                      Bruce Moffatt
                    • franklinberke
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 19, 2004
                        Hi Bruce

                        --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Moffatt" <b9robot@o...>
                        wrote:
                        > If anybody on the list is looking for a copy of Spectre or Genesis
                        II in
                        > PAL format, I have them both on tape. Having said that, they are
                        > extremely poor quality and quite old tapes recorded off free to air
                        TV
                        > back in the 80s or early 90s.
                        >
                        > I'll dig the tapes up and if the quality will stand up for duping I
                        can
                        > help interested parties out.
                        >
                        > Franklin if your NTSC copy is in good shape I'd love to get a copy
                        of
                        > it. I believe the edit for the US was different to the international
                        > version.
                        .
                        .
                        .
                        > Cheers
                        > Bruce Moffatt

                        I found and watched my copy a few nights ago. After watching it,
                        I realized that I recorded it over fifteen years ago, but
                        Unfortunately I suffered from the same difficulty you did with poor
                        TV reception. My copy is watchable enough for me to keep, but some
                        of the darker scenes are impossible to make out.

                        I recalled that I was saving my copy until it would be re-
                        broadcast, and then I would have another shot at getting a better
                        recording. I only recorded it because it sounded interesting in the
                        first place, and the interplay between Robert Culp and Gig Young
                        still confirms how much of a keeper it is for myself.

                        I edited out the commercials as best I could back then, and its
                        running time on my tape was approximately 90 minutes. As for your
                        question about editing, I'll tell you more about that when I respond
                        to Lady Talara's post # 2558

                        I did a search on the Internet for the video and found it offered
                        for sale at the following URL...

                        ww.robertsvideos.com/browse.php3?alpha=&catid=177&incr=1&page=36

                        Take care.

                        Franklin