NBC Promo Posted

  • actingman_jc
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2003
      Jim Alexander got a hold of, and sent to me, a copy of the Wednesday
      night line up for NBC Week, 1972...which of course mentions Search.

      I have encoded it and put it on the web site www.probecontrol.com
      It is in the Publicity section.

      Or click this link to get the mpg file directly:
      http://probecontrol.com/Quicktime/nbcweek.mpg

      As usual, I encoded at the best resolution my equipment will allow, so
      the file size is 10mb...so I recomend that you download the file first
      before playing it.
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2003
        probecontrol@...
        > Jim Alexander got a hold of, and sent to me, a copy of the Wednesday
        > night line up for NBC Week, 1972...which of course mentions Search.
        >
        > I have encoded it and put it on the web site www.probecontrol.com
        > It is in the Publicity section.
        >
        > Or click this link to get the mpg file directly:
        > http://probecontrol.com/Quicktime/nbcweek.mpg
        >
        > As usual, I encoded at the best resolution my equipment will allow, so
        > the file size is 10mb...so I recomend that you download the file first
        > before playing it.

      • Marta Dawes
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
          That was way, way cool. :-) Thanks for sharing it with everyone. It
          was great to see a "Banacek" promo on there, too!

          One thing it did remind me of was how much we used to anticipate the new
          seasons in those days, and how much I loved those promos. I've still
          got a Fall Preview TV Guide, the most awaited publication of the year,
          in my stashed adolescent stuff somewhere, and it might even be from
          1972. TV just doesn't have that allure anymore. It still had an air of
          quality then.

          Marta

          http://www.steveandmarta.com

          Home of "The Graveyards of Omaha" and

          "The New Twilight Zone" websites (Alan Brennert's new book is featured
          on the site!)

          "Experience should teach us to be on our guard to protect liberty when
          government's purpose are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally
          alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The
          greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment of men of
          zeal, well meaning but without understanding."

          Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis's great statement from Olmstead v.
          United States
          <http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=277&invol

          Jim Alexander got a hold of, and sent to me, a copy of the Wednesday
          night line up for NBC Week, 1972...which of course mentions Search.

          I have encoded it and put it on the web site www.probecontrol.com
          It is in the Publicity section.

          Or click this link to get the mpg file directly:
          http://probecontrol.com/Quicktime/nbcweek.mpg

          As usual, I encoded at the best resolution my equipment will allow, so
          the file size is 10mb...so I recomend that you download the file first
          before playing it.

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • crayresearch2001
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2003
            Great find Jim! I couldn't help but laugh at how this stuff keeps
            turning up from time to time. Noticed: James Farentino's Captain Kirk
            Wrestling moves, don't think they'd help much in a real fight though.
            Definitely remember the "Cool Million" slender font. That scene with
            Lockwood running like hell is also used in the opening credits, a few
            frames later on. Don't think it was part of any Lockwood episode I
            saw.

            I found this Search webpage and did a search of the archives to see
            if it had been mentioned before, to no avail so here it is :)

            http://www.bigredhair.com/search/

            Don-2
          • dmanmetz@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 3, 2003
              Actually, the scene were Lockwood is running happens towards the end of "Moonrock" after Lockwood steals the moonrock back and is running from a cave to get to his jeep. In my opinion, it's one of the best episodes Search has to offer. Thanks for the link alternate Search site. That was really cool.

              Chris
            • Martin Parrott
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 10, 2004
                I got a big shock tonight after watching the Probe pilot episode I
                received from Movies Unlimited. I have watched it a few times in the
                past, but I always stopped it and rewound the tape when the episode
                ended. Tonight I left the room and let it run knowing the player would
                automatically rewind the tape when it reached the end. I came back into
                the room a few minutes later and was presented with a totally different
                movie which was at the end of the tape. Without being too explicit, let
                us just say I would never have bought the movie being played on my VHS
                machine.

                Now to my question, is this just a fluke or does anyone else have a
                'bonus' feature at the end of their episode?

                I would be tempted to try to return this garbage and get my money back,
                but I have had the tape for over a year and I am sure the company would
                just say 'oops, sorry for the inconvenience'.

                Thanks all,
                Martin
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 10, 2004
                  --- In probe_control, Martin Parrott wrote:
                  > Now to my question, is this just a fluke or does anyone else have a
                  > 'bonus' feature at the end of their episode?

                  Hi Martin: A few years ago I recall an article in our local paper
                  about a local video rental place, a customer complained about the
                  same sort of thing. A movie would play, sometimes a children's
                  title, then after that movie ended a different, more x-rated movie
                  would show up afterwards.

                  It seems that originally there was a different raunchier movie on
                  your tape in the first instance, and Unicorn somehow acquired or used
                  that tape for their stock. They put "Probe" over the earlier movie,
                  but didn't take care that the tape recorded all the way to the end,
                  which would have gotten rid of the previous movie.

                  Apparently this happens at times, but I don't think all the tapes
                  of "Probe" are exactly the same. Be interesting to get feedback from
                  other members of the list who have a copy of the Unicorn tape.

                  You could possibly return your tape of "Probe" to Unicorn Video, but
                  since the title is out of print, they wouldn't have a new one to
                  return to you.

                  One solution: Cover the "don't erase" tab of your VHS tape with some
                  masking tape, then tune your satellite receiver to Channel "0" for a
                  black screen, or to a test pattern image and dub that over the
                  offending remaining portion of the other movie. Be careful not to
                  dub over any part of "Probe." When finished, remove the masking tape
                  so as to not accidentally erase your tape of "Probe" at any time in
                  the future.

                  --Don
                • DAVID AGOSTA
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 10, 2004
                    HELLO...MY NAME IS DAVID ....AND I AM A MEMBER OF THE SAME GROUP AS YOU ARE. LOVE THE OLD PROBE CONTROL STUFF......BUT I CAN NOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME FIND ANYTHING.....LIKE DVD'S. COULD YOU DIRECT ME WHERE I COULD FIND ONE OR TWO COPYIES??? I LIVE HERE IN N.Y.....DESPITE THIS NOT ONE THING CAN BE FOUND. COULD YOU HELP?......THANKS DAVID!

                    dghprobe3 <dghprobe3@...> wrote:
                    --- In probe_control, Martin Parrott wrote:
                    > Now to my question, is this just a fluke or does anyone else have a
                    > 'bonus' feature at the end of their episode?

                    Hi Martin: A few years ago I recall an article in our local paper
                    about a local video rental place, a customer complained about the
                    same sort of thing. A movie would play, sometimes a children's
                    title, then after that movie ended a different, more x-rated movie
                    would show up afterwards.

                    It seems that originally there was a different raunchier movie on
                    your tape in the first instance, and Unicorn somehow acquired or used
                    that tape for their stock. They put "Probe" over the earlier movie,
                    but didn't take care that the tape recorded all the way to the end,
                    which would have gotten rid of the previous movie.

                    Apparently this happens at times, but I don't think all the tapes
                    of "Probe" are exactly the same. Be interesting to get feedback from
                    other members of the list who have a copy of the Unicorn tape.

                    You could possibly return your tape of "Probe" to Unicorn Video, but
                    since the title is out of print, they wouldn't have a new one to
                    return to you.

                    One solution: Cover the "don't erase" tab of your VHS tape with some
                    masking tape, then tune your satellite receiver to Channel "0" for a
                    black screen, or to a test pattern image and dub that over the
                    offending remaining portion of the other movie. Be careful not to
                    dub over any part of "Probe." When finished, remove the masking tape
                    so as to not accidentally erase your tape of "Probe" at any time in
                    the future.

                    --Don

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  • Martin Parrott
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 10, 2004
                      Don,
                      Good suggestion. What I think I will also do is capture the Probe
                      episode in raw format and convert the humongous avi file to DVD format,
                      then burn it on DVD-R. I will then have a copy that should last longer
                      than the VHS. I have been playing around with custom settings in my MPEG
                      software to remove VHS noise and fix the saturation problems anyway, so
                      I will probably end up with a better looking copy than the original.

                      It just burns me up the duplication companies are not more careful.

                      I will do what you said as well as I would like to keep the VHS tape and
                      sleeve just as a 'safe' collectible. :)

                      Martin

                      dghprobe3 wrote:

                      > One solution: Cover the "don't erase" tab of your VHS tape with some
                      > masking tape, then tune your satellite receiver to Channel "0" for a
                      > black screen, or to a test pattern image and dub that over the
                      > offending remaining portion of the other movie. Be careful not to
                      > dub over any part of "Probe." When finished, remove the masking tape
                      > so as to not accidentally erase your tape of "Probe" at any time in
                      > the future.
                      >
                      > --Don
                    • Michael Beacom
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 17, 2004
                        RE: DVD's - you have touched on one of the main mysteries surrounding Search: Why isn't Warner Brothers exploiting it and releasing it?
                        No DVD exists to my knowledge. Fortunately several members of this group have taped copies dating back to the advent of home video, when the pilot movie was reshown by several of the larger television stations involved in cable, and some have copies from overseas broadcast.

                        Check with the moderator, they can put you in touch with the people who can get you copies of the what episodes have been salvaged.

                        I am waiting for the day when they find out who at Warner Bro's or elsewhere could make our collective dream of video re-release or rebroadcast a possibility, so we know where to apply the pressure to make it come about.

                        Michael B
                        mjbeacom@...

                        dghprobe3 <dghprobe3@...> wrote:
                        --- In probe_control, Martin Parrott wrote:
                        > Now to my question, is this just a fluke or does anyone else have a
                        > 'bonus' feature at the end of their episode?

                        Hi Martin: A few years ago I recall an article in our local paper
                        about a local video rental place, a customer complained about the
                        same sort of thing. A movie would play, sometimes a children's
                        title, then after that movie ended a different, more x-rated movie
                        would show up afterwards.

                        It seems that originally there was a different raunchier movie on
                        your tape in the first instance, and Unicorn somehow acquired or used
                        that tape for their stock. They put "Probe" over the earlier movie,
                        but didn't take care that the tape recorded all the way to the end,
                        which would have gotten rid of the previous movie.

                        Apparently this happens at times, but I don't think all the tapes
                        of "Probe" are exactly the same. Be interesting to get feedback from
                        other members of the list who have a copy of the Unicorn tape.

                        You could possibly return your tape of "Probe" to Unicorn Video, but
                        since the title is out of print, they wouldn't have a new one to
                        return to you.

                        One solution: Cover the "don't erase" tab of your VHS tape with some
                        masking tape, then tune your satellite receiver to Channel "0" for a
                        black screen, or to a test pattern image and dub that over the
                        offending remaining portion of the other movie. Be careful not to
                        dub over any part of "Probe." When finished, remove the masking tape
                        so as to not accidentally erase your tape of "Probe" at any time in
                        the future.

                        --Don

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor