Re: Probe on VHS

  • franklinberke
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 22, 2003
      Hi Everybody

      Mike, I hope your copy of the Probe pilot is intact. I had a bit of
      distortion at times with my copy while watching it on a SONY VCR. I
      watched my copy for the first time after finally receiving it in
      February. I had quite a wait as I mentioned back then in message
      # 1911.

      I watched the pilot episode again last week on a GO-VIDEO dual deck
      VCR that has Automatic Tracking. This time the tape displayed
      reasonably well throughout. Maybe the automatic tracking makes the
      difference in terms of viewing quality.

      I am also mentioning the GO-VIDEO dual deck VCR for another reason I
      am preparing to copy the pilot episode for a friend of mine who is
      really excited about Search. I mentioned a few months ago that he
      might join the group, but he never took me up on my suggestion. But
      he was over my house last weekend, and we watched `Countdown to
      Panic'. Needless to say he was reeeeeeaaaalllly excited seeing
      Search again after 30 years.

      I don't know if anyone has any experience with a GO-VIDEO dual deck
      VCR, but I am trying to do some amateur copying and virtual splicing
      using the VCR, and I am having a little difficulty with the splicing.

      My impetus to do some splicing was prompted by the absence of the
      phone call scene between Lockwood, Cameron, and Dr. Laurent that
      whould have appeared right after the introductory credits rolled in
      the beginning of the show. I noticed the absence immediately because
      I reviewed my Search pilot recorded many years ago off local TV prior
      to watching the Unicorn tape for the first time back in February.
      Now I would like to be able to seamlessly copy the scene back when I
      copy the Unicorn tape for both my friend and myself.

      Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

      Franklin
    • pdcsnr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 22, 2003
        Franklin what Go-Video do you have?
        The 3110 and after have a remote that can be used directly fo the seemless
        editing. I have one but only one side is working right now.

        Paul

      • Michael Hendry
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 23, 2003
          Thanks, Jim.

          I did check some things. It is Unicorn Video, like
          Franklin said, and is at SP, so I don't think
          anything's changed. The box isn't faded, just a big
          blow up of a low res video grab, so doesn't look so
          good.

          My VCR does have auto-tracking, and is a relatively
          new JVC SVHS. The Unicorn Video Presents intro looks
          pretty cheap, and it's not too uncommon for me to have
          to override the autotracking on cheap tapes (for this
          and previous machines). The phone conversation scene
          is not in it, good luck dubbing.

          Aside from tracking, the outdoor scenes (mainly blue
          and green) look ok, more video noise than usual. The
          probe control scenes, which are heavily red, are
          awful. Video tape inherently has problems with red,
          these are magnified greatly.

          What I'm going to do is call Movies Unlimited (which
          is in my hometown, as it turns out), and see if they
          are willing to order me another copy (I'll explain the
          information you've all given me--thanks). Then we'll
          see if this is one bad tape, or it's the end of the
          road for anything produced on the cheap.

          I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the help.
          Mike

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • probecontrol@sigecom.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 23, 2003
            >... What I'm going to do is call Movies Unlimited, and see
            if they are willing to order me another copy. Then we'll see
            if this is one bad tape, or it's the end of the road for
            anything produced on the cheap. I'll keep you posted. Thanks
            for all the help.
            -----------------------
            Good luck, Mike! If we can be of any more help, then just
            ask!

            Jim
          • franklinberke
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 26, 2003
              Hi Paul

              I have the 3110, but the remote causes the source tape to do a
              little rewind for a few seconds before copying each time I position
              the source tape and then pause it. I am hoping that marking scenes
              for future copying will do the trick.

              Franklin
            • oceangate2110
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 30, 2003
                --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "franklinberke"
                <franklinberke@y...> wrote:
                > Hi Paul
                >
                > I have the 3110, but the remote causes the source tape to do a
                > little rewind for a few seconds before copying each time I position
                > the source tape and then pause it. I am hoping that marking scenes
                > for future copying will do the trick.
                >
                > Franklin

                Hi:

                Do you have any copies of Probe or Search you would like to
                sell? I would be very interested.

                Thanks,

                George Pugh