Re: [probe_control] Probe on VHS

  • Michael Hendry
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 22, 2003
      Good point. The box looks faded. I think it has
      deteriorated over time. I will check the manufacturer
      when I get home, perhaps a cheaper manufacturer took
      over? I will also check the recording speed.

      Thanks for the info.
      Mike

      --- probecontrol@... wrote:
      > Mike wrote: I have to warn you that the quality is
      > terrible.
      > I have to use manual tracking, keep adjusting, and
      > it still
      > looks bad. I might try it on different VCRs.
      > ------------------------
      > Hey, Mike--
      >
      > This surprises me. My copy plays flawlessly, and
      > always
      > has. Are they still recording it on SP speed, or is
      > it now
      > recorded in a substandard LP or SLP speed?
      >
      > I don't doubt what you're saying at ALL. I'm just
      > wondering
      > if the copies are suffering from age (sitting in the
      >
      > warehouse after probably being produced YEARS ago)?
      >
      > Hmmmmmmmmm.
      >
      > Jim Alexander
      > probecontrol@...

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • franklinberke
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 22, 2003
        Hi Everybody

        Mike, I hope your copy of the Probe pilot is intact. I had a bit of
        distortion at times with my copy while watching it on a SONY VCR. I
        watched my copy for the first time after finally receiving it in
        February. I had quite a wait as I mentioned back then in message
        # 1911.

        I watched the pilot episode again last week on a GO-VIDEO dual deck
        VCR that has Automatic Tracking. This time the tape displayed
        reasonably well throughout. Maybe the automatic tracking makes the
        difference in terms of viewing quality.

        I am also mentioning the GO-VIDEO dual deck VCR for another reason I
        am preparing to copy the pilot episode for a friend of mine who is
        really excited about Search. I mentioned a few months ago that he
        might join the group, but he never took me up on my suggestion. But
        he was over my house last weekend, and we watched `Countdown to
        Panic'. Needless to say he was reeeeeeaaaalllly excited seeing
        Search again after 30 years.

        I don't know if anyone has any experience with a GO-VIDEO dual deck
        VCR, but I am trying to do some amateur copying and virtual splicing
        using the VCR, and I am having a little difficulty with the splicing.

        My impetus to do some splicing was prompted by the absence of the
        phone call scene between Lockwood, Cameron, and Dr. Laurent that
        whould have appeared right after the introductory credits rolled in
        the beginning of the show. I noticed the absence immediately because
        I reviewed my Search pilot recorded many years ago off local TV prior
        to watching the Unicorn tape for the first time back in February.
        Now I would like to be able to seamlessly copy the scene back when I
        copy the Unicorn tape for both my friend and myself.

        Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

        Franklin
      • pdcsnr@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 22, 2003
          Franklin what Go-Video do you have?
          The 3110 and after have a remote that can be used directly fo the seemless
          editing. I have one but only one side is working right now.

          Paul

        • Michael Hendry
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 23, 2003
            Thanks, Jim.

            I did check some things. It is Unicorn Video, like
            Franklin said, and is at SP, so I don't think
            anything's changed. The box isn't faded, just a big
            blow up of a low res video grab, so doesn't look so
            good.

            My VCR does have auto-tracking, and is a relatively
            new JVC SVHS. The Unicorn Video Presents intro looks
            pretty cheap, and it's not too uncommon for me to have
            to override the autotracking on cheap tapes (for this
            and previous machines). The phone conversation scene
            is not in it, good luck dubbing.

            Aside from tracking, the outdoor scenes (mainly blue
            and green) look ok, more video noise than usual. The
            probe control scenes, which are heavily red, are
            awful. Video tape inherently has problems with red,
            these are magnified greatly.

            What I'm going to do is call Movies Unlimited (which
            is in my hometown, as it turns out), and see if they
            are willing to order me another copy (I'll explain the
            information you've all given me--thanks). Then we'll
            see if this is one bad tape, or it's the end of the
            road for anything produced on the cheap.

            I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the help.
            Mike

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • probecontrol@sigecom.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 23, 2003
              >... What I'm going to do is call Movies Unlimited, and see
              if they are willing to order me another copy. Then we'll see
              if this is one bad tape, or it's the end of the road for
              anything produced on the cheap. I'll keep you posted. Thanks
              for all the help.
              -----------------------
              Good luck, Mike! If we can be of any more help, then just
              ask!

              Jim
            • franklinberke
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 26, 2003
                Hi Paul

                I have the 3110, but the remote causes the source tape to do a
                little rewind for a few seconds before copying each time I position
                the source tape and then pause it. I am hoping that marking scenes
                for future copying will do the trick.

                Franklin
              • oceangate2110
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 30, 2003
                  --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "franklinberke"
                  <franklinberke@y...> wrote:
                  > Hi Paul
                  >
                  > I have the 3110, but the remote causes the source tape to do a
                  > little rewind for a few seconds before copying each time I position
                  > the source tape and then pause it. I am hoping that marking scenes
                  > for future copying will do the trick.
                  >
                  > Franklin

                  Hi:

                  Do you have any copies of Probe or Search you would like to
                  sell? I would be very interested.

                  Thanks,

                  George Pugh