Probe on VHS

  • probecontrol@sigecom.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 22, 2003
      Mike wrote: I have to warn you that the quality is terrible.
      I have to use manual tracking, keep adjusting, and it still
      looks bad. I might try it on different VCRs.
      ------------------------
      Hey, Mike--

      This surprises me. My copy plays flawlessly, and always
      has. Are they still recording it on SP speed, or is it now
      recorded in a substandard LP or SLP speed?

      I don't doubt what you're saying at ALL. I'm just wondering
      if the copies are suffering from age (sitting in the
      warehouse after probably being produced YEARS ago)?

      Hmmmmmmmmm.

      Jim Alexander
      probecontrol@...
    • Michael Hendry
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 22, 2003
        Good point. The box looks faded. I think it has
        deteriorated over time. I will check the manufacturer
        when I get home, perhaps a cheaper manufacturer took
        over? I will also check the recording speed.

        Thanks for the info.
        Mike

        --- probecontrol@... wrote:
        > Mike wrote: I have to warn you that the quality is
        > terrible.
        > I have to use manual tracking, keep adjusting, and
        > it still
        > looks bad. I might try it on different VCRs.
        > ------------------------
        > Hey, Mike--
        >
        > This surprises me. My copy plays flawlessly, and
        > always
        > has. Are they still recording it on SP speed, or is
        > it now
        > recorded in a substandard LP or SLP speed?
        >
        > I don't doubt what you're saying at ALL. I'm just
        > wondering
        > if the copies are suffering from age (sitting in the
        >
        > warehouse after probably being produced YEARS ago)?
        >
        > Hmmmmmmmmm.
        >
        > Jim Alexander
        > probecontrol@...

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • franklinberke
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 22, 2003
          Hi Everybody

          Mike, I hope your copy of the Probe pilot is intact. I had a bit of
          distortion at times with my copy while watching it on a SONY VCR. I
          watched my copy for the first time after finally receiving it in
          February. I had quite a wait as I mentioned back then in message
          # 1911.

          I watched the pilot episode again last week on a GO-VIDEO dual deck
          VCR that has Automatic Tracking. This time the tape displayed
          reasonably well throughout. Maybe the automatic tracking makes the
          difference in terms of viewing quality.

          I am also mentioning the GO-VIDEO dual deck VCR for another reason I
          am preparing to copy the pilot episode for a friend of mine who is
          really excited about Search. I mentioned a few months ago that he
          might join the group, but he never took me up on my suggestion. But
          he was over my house last weekend, and we watched `Countdown to
          Panic'. Needless to say he was reeeeeeaaaalllly excited seeing
          Search again after 30 years.

          I don't know if anyone has any experience with a GO-VIDEO dual deck
          VCR, but I am trying to do some amateur copying and virtual splicing
          using the VCR, and I am having a little difficulty with the splicing.

          My impetus to do some splicing was prompted by the absence of the
          phone call scene between Lockwood, Cameron, and Dr. Laurent that
          whould have appeared right after the introductory credits rolled in
          the beginning of the show. I noticed the absence immediately because
          I reviewed my Search pilot recorded many years ago off local TV prior
          to watching the Unicorn tape for the first time back in February.
          Now I would like to be able to seamlessly copy the scene back when I
          copy the Unicorn tape for both my friend and myself.

          Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

          Franklin
        • pdcsnr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 22, 2003
            Franklin what Go-Video do you have?
            The 3110 and after have a remote that can be used directly fo the seemless
            editing. I have one but only one side is working right now.

            Paul

          • Michael Hendry
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 23, 2003
              Thanks, Jim.

              I did check some things. It is Unicorn Video, like
              Franklin said, and is at SP, so I don't think
              anything's changed. The box isn't faded, just a big
              blow up of a low res video grab, so doesn't look so
              good.

              My VCR does have auto-tracking, and is a relatively
              new JVC SVHS. The Unicorn Video Presents intro looks
              pretty cheap, and it's not too uncommon for me to have
              to override the autotracking on cheap tapes (for this
              and previous machines). The phone conversation scene
              is not in it, good luck dubbing.

              Aside from tracking, the outdoor scenes (mainly blue
              and green) look ok, more video noise than usual. The
              probe control scenes, which are heavily red, are
              awful. Video tape inherently has problems with red,
              these are magnified greatly.

              What I'm going to do is call Movies Unlimited (which
              is in my hometown, as it turns out), and see if they
              are willing to order me another copy (I'll explain the
              information you've all given me--thanks). Then we'll
              see if this is one bad tape, or it's the end of the
              road for anything produced on the cheap.

              I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the help.
              Mike

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • probecontrol@sigecom.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 23, 2003
                >... What I'm going to do is call Movies Unlimited, and see
                if they are willing to order me another copy. Then we'll see
                if this is one bad tape, or it's the end of the road for
                anything produced on the cheap. I'll keep you posted. Thanks
                for all the help.
                -----------------------
                Good luck, Mike! If we can be of any more help, then just
                ask!

                Jim
              • franklinberke
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 26, 2003
                  Hi Paul

                  I have the 3110, but the remote causes the source tape to do a
                  little rewind for a few seconds before copying each time I position
                  the source tape and then pause it. I am hoping that marking scenes
                  for future copying will do the trick.

                  Franklin
                • oceangate2110
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 30, 2003
                    --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "franklinberke"
                    <franklinberke@y...> wrote:
                    > Hi Paul
                    >
                    > I have the 3110, but the remote causes the source tape to do a
                    > little rewind for a few seconds before copying each time I position
                    > the source tape and then pause it. I am hoping that marking scenes
                    > for future copying will do the trick.
                    >
                    > Franklin

                    Hi:

                    Do you have any copies of Probe or Search you would like to
                    sell? I would be very interested.

                    Thanks,

                    George Pugh