Re: [probe_control] Somewhat OT: Tape Brands

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28, 2003
      Hello everyone
      Just a quirky remark. As much as I appreciate the long term value of DVD
      recording, it won't survive fire any better than video tape. It also suffers
      the same problem if the technology can't operate it. Remember Virdon with
      that disk in the Planet Of The Apes TV series.

      Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.com or
      http://www.computercrowsnestbooks.com
      THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
      THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

      AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats

      Yahoo ranks SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

      DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/

      Google PageRanks SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

      Alexa ranks SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://www.alexa.com/browse/general?catid=56670&mode=general

      http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2003
        Hello everyone
        Hello Morningstar
        Question: Every time I've ever tried to do a screen grab from a DVD film
        frame, all I get is a black picture. Any recommendations on software of how
        to do it properly.

        As to getting Search episodes onto DVD. I'm running a new LG DVD
        multi-recorder (details on e-buyer.com) on my computer since my old one
        packed in. If you want to transfer onto DVD you still have to use Nero
        Burning ROM to do it. The real problem is still getting the videos into a
        computer to transfer out. I have a suspicion that even when its done, they'd
        only be watchable on a computer rather than a standard DVD player although
        I'm sure one of you would know better.
        I take it you're pretty new to the chat & not a long-term lurker or you'd
        know we acquired probably the best copies of 'Search' from Australia.
        'Search' hasn't been shown in the UK since the early 70s although the
        'Probe' pilot gets shown a couple times each decade.

        The problem of getting a proper release of 'Search' on video or DVD is
        convincing Warner they could make their money back & I don't think that is
        likely to happen any time soon simply cos the show hasn't had any viewing
        figures since the 70s.

        I can sympathise with the problems with various video tapes though. It's
        often better to find a tape compatible to the video recorder you're using
        then hoping your usual brand will do the trick. As video tapes are only made
        by a few manufacturers, chances are a generic - not I hasten cheapies that
        probably hail from the Middle East - tape comes from the same company. It's
        done in the food industry with generic foodstuffs in the same way & all
        you're paying extra for is the brand or tradename...well, at least in the
        UK.

        By the by, what is the price of combined Video/DVD recordable players in
        the US?? Over here, they're still around the �400 mark (around $300 I
        guess). Until they drop down to a reasonable price or DVD-R players are
        plentiful then video tape will still be around.

        Gotta go

        Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.com or
        http://www.computercrowsnestbooks.com
        THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
        THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

        AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
        http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats

        Yahoo ranks SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
        http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

        DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
        http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/

        Google PageRanks SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
        http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

        Alexa ranks SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
        http://www.alexa.com/browse/general?catid=56670&mode=general

        http://www.msn.co.uk/internetaccess
      • Marta Dawes
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2003
          PowerDVD works wonderfully for getting screen grabs. They're high
          quality .bmp's that look professional.

          Marta

          http://www.steveandmarta.com

          Home of "The Graveyards of Omaha" and

          "The New Twilight Zone" (Alan Brennert's new book is featured on the
          site!) websites

[...]

          WE DON’T CHOOSE OUR RANK POSITIONS, OTHERS PUT US THERE:-

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 30, 2003
            I believe several of us on the list are transferring "Search" episodes
            to DVD using standalone burners. I know that I've done several, since
            we've got a Panasonic and a Philips DVD recorder. Using a PC DVD burner
            took quite a bit of work and the standalones are much faster, while
            giving a superior picture (at least as good as the episodes themselves
            are).

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2003
              As for the dvd recorder, I guess that it depends on your software. You
              should be able to format it as a dvd, or as some other form, such as
              vcd. Some commercial players, including JVC (which I have).

              Since there are many things that are coming out on dvd (S.W.A.T.,
              Barretta, Charlie's Angels, etc.) and I don't see why "Search"
              couldn't be one of those. In fact, with a little research, we could
              help Warner or whomever with the supplemental material, not to mention
              marketing.

              As for the videotapes, you can look at the specifications from a
              number of videophile magazines, but when it comes to money versus
              quality, the bulk name brands are probably good enough. Videotape was
              never meant to be permanent, so that is the breaks.

              Tony

              --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff Willmetts"