Re: OT: VHS to DVD

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2003
      Hi Jim: Thanks for your two cents' worth, it is appreciated. :-)

      Then again, a few years from now this discussion will likely become
      more moot. While I doubt VHS will disappear completely anytime soon,
      have you noticed how much DVD has taken over in the various video
      stores and rental places?

      Some stores are in the process of phasing out a lot of VHS material
      in favor of DVDs and DVD recorders. If the price of the recorders
      keeps going down, it will make more sense anyway. I understand DVDs
      will last much, much longer than VHS tapes, upwards of 50 years and
      more, plus you can do thousands of plays on one DVD.

      I spoke to someone who used to work with CNN a few years ago and they
      said they had to throw out some of their early videotape archive at
      one point because the tapes had deteriorated quicker than they had
      anticipated. Some say that videotapes only last between 15 and 20
      years or upwards of 100 runs through the player's video heads.
      Whichever comes first.

      --Don

    • pdcsnr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 28, 2003
        In a message dated 8/27/2003 11:24:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        dghprobe3@... writes:

        > Some stores are in the process of phasing out a lot of VHS material
        > in favor of DVDs and DVD recorders. If the price of the recorders
        > keeps going down, it will make more sense anyway. I understand DVDs
        > will last much, much longer than VHS tapes, upwards of 50 years and
        > more, plus you can do thousands of plays on one DVD.

        I heard that someone mentioned that VHS tapes would be almost impossible to
        get by years end. I find that difficult to believe although I do recognize the
        fact that they are going to go the way of the Beta or 8 track machine. The
        cd/dvd technology is just so far superior to the VHS tape that it will
        eventually take over the market and outdate the tapeing trends.
        About the tapes. I have used several types Sony and TDK do the best job
        for me. I've had problems with color on some of the cheaper tapes e.g. Memorex,

        Paul