OT: Blank VHS Tape Brands

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2003
      For many, many years (and more than a couple thousand VHS tapes), I swore by
      TDK videocassettes, Don.

      But what you say about 'other brands' are certainly true as well. Are there
      OTHER good tape/CD/DVD-R manufacturers besides TDK? Absolutely.

      And for all I know, the TDK tapes have lessened in quality over the years.
      Remember when Sony used to be a verrrrrry respected name in electronics?
      I'm not gonna tell you how long my last Sony VCR lasted before it crapped
      out.

      Okay. I will. Three months. ;)

      Also... recently, the TDK brand has become more difficult to purchase
      locally... and practically impossible to purchase in 10 or 12-packs (which
      is how I used to buy them, and how I buy most of my tape these days). So
      I've switched to Sony brand. And they seem to be pretty good (though I've
      gotten more 'clunkers' than I ever did with the TDK's). Nothing's more
      infuriating than watching 6 hours of video that you recorded onto a new
      tape, months previously, that contains drop-outs, tape tears, and hits.
      <<shudder>>

      Anyway, that's my Two Cents.

      Jim Alexander
      probecontrol@...

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 27, 2003
        Hi Jim: Thanks for your two cents' worth, it is appreciated. :-)

        Then again, a few years from now this discussion will likely become
        more moot. While I doubt VHS will disappear completely anytime soon,
        have you noticed how much DVD has taken over in the various video
        stores and rental places?

        Some stores are in the process of phasing out a lot of VHS material
        in favor of DVDs and DVD recorders. If the price of the recorders
        keeps going down, it will make more sense anyway. I understand DVDs
        will last much, much longer than VHS tapes, upwards of 50 years and
        more, plus you can do thousands of plays on one DVD.

        I spoke to someone who used to work with CNN a few years ago and they
        said they had to throw out some of their early videotape archive at
        one point because the tapes had deteriorated quicker than they had
        anticipated. Some say that videotapes only last between 15 and 20
        years or upwards of 100 runs through the player's video heads.
        Whichever comes first.

        --Don

      • pdcsnr@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 28, 2003
          In a message dated 8/27/2003 11:24:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          dghprobe3@... writes:

          > Some stores are in the process of phasing out a lot of VHS material
          > in favor of DVDs and DVD recorders. If the price of the recorders
          > keeps going down, it will make more sense anyway. I understand DVDs
          > will last much, much longer than VHS tapes, upwards of 50 years and
          > more, plus you can do thousands of plays on one DVD.

          I heard that someone mentioned that VHS tapes would be almost impossible to
          get by years end. I find that difficult to believe although I do recognize the
          fact that they are going to go the way of the Beta or 8 track machine. The
          cd/dvd technology is just so far superior to the VHS tape that it will
          eventually take over the market and outdate the tapeing trends.
          About the tapes. I have used several types Sony and TDK do the best job
          for me. I've had problems with color on some of the cheaper tapes e.g. Memorex,

          Paul