Leslie Stevens & 'L. Clark Stevens'

  • dghprobe3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2003
      http://www.davidjschow.com/limits/ol_players.html

      In the link above, author David J. Schow mentions that SEARCH creator Leslie
      Stevens is also sometimes known by his pen name "L. Clark Stevens."

      There is a book credited to L. Clark Stevens, it is "EST: The Steersman
      Handbook" (Bantam, 1971, $1.50). Note that this was about the same time the
      "Probe" pilot movie was being produced.

      http://www.uiowa.edu/~cyberlaw/tpfl/tpflch11.html

      Here is a quote from Stevens, as given by Nicholas Johnson in his "Test
      Pattern for Living":

      http://www.uiowa.edu/~cyberlaw/tpfl/tpflch06.html

      "Each individual will find self-expression. All of life will become
      personal, artistic expression of one kind or another. The domestic arts will be the
      center of creation: building, gardening, cooking, decorating, entertaining;
      living well. Crafts will flourish such as weaving, sewing, pottery, woodwork,
      stonework, ironwork, etc."
      --L. Clark Stevens

      More info, plus a more complete title:

      Title: Est: The Steersman Handbook: Charts of the Coming Decade of Conflict
      Author: Stevens, L. Clark
      Publisher: Bantam
      Year Published: 1970
      Book ID (sku): 0018095

      Does anyone else have more information on this book? It sounds interesting
      and probably would give us some insights on Leslie Stevens' ideas about SEARCH.

      --Don

    • bfiler2002000
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2003
        I have no information on what this book is either, but I can make
        a rough guess as to what it is talking about. At the time SEARCH
        was on, there was a sort of self-help therapy type of a thing called
        est, which stood for Erhard Seminars Training (some people said it
        was a cult), which was very popular. It had a lot of adherents among
        the "beautiful people" (read: actors, actresses, the showbiz
        community, the jet set, etc.) It's just a surmise here, but I would
        guess that Leslie Stevens was probably a follower or adherent of it.

        I'll try and do an Internet search and get back to you later with
        what I can find, if anything, about it. Might be interesting to
        see what...if any.. influence it might have had on SEARCH. Of
        course, we still love it regardless, but it might be an interesting
        insight into the times.

        - In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, dghprobe3@a... wrote:

        > http://www.davidjschow.com/limits/ol_players.html
        >
        > In the link above, author David J. Schow mentions that SEARCH
        creator Leslie
        > Stevens is also sometimes known by his pen name "L. Clark Stevens."
        >
        > There is a book credited to L. Clark Stevens, it is "EST: The
        Steersman
        > Handbook" (Bantam, 1971, $1.50). Note that this was about the
        same time the
        > "Probe" pilot movie was being produced.
        >
        > http://www.uiowa.edu/~cyberlaw/tpfl/tpflch11.html
        >
        > Here is a quote from Stevens, as given by Nicholas Johnson in
        his "Test
        > Pattern for Living":
        >
        > http://www.uiowa.edu/~cyberlaw/tpfl/tpflch06.html
        >
        > "Each individual will find self-expression. All of life will
        become
        > personal, artistic expression of one kind or another. The domestic
        arts will be the
        > center of creation: building, gardening, cooking, decorating,
        entertaining;
        > living well. Crafts will flourish such as weaving, sewing,
        pottery, woodwork,
        > stonework, ironwork, etc."
        > --L. Clark Stevens
        >
        > More info, plus a more complete title:
        >
        > Title: Est: The Steersman Handbook: Charts of the Coming Decade of
        Conflict
        > Author: Stevens, L. Clark
        > Publisher: Bantam
        > Year Published: 1970
        > Book ID (sku): 0018095
        >
        > Does anyone else have more information on this book? It sounds
        interesting
        > and probably would give us some insights on Leslie Stevens' ideas
        about SEARCH.

        > --Don

      • bfiler2002000
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2003
          -- Hi, I'm back, with a couple of Web sites which should give a good
          overview of est:
          http://skepdic.com/est.html

          http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/est-draft.html

          They're interesting but I couldn't really see a connection to
          SEARCH right offhand.

          If anyone is interested in buying a copy of this book, abebooks.com,
          which specializes in rare and out-of-print books, has a few copies.
          If you buy one, maybe you can let us know if there's anything that
          seems to relate to Stevens' ideas on SEARCH...

          - In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "bfiler2002000" <Aloma@v...>