RE: [probe_control] A new "Search" Show?

  • Jack Bagley
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 6 4:39 AM
      --- Skip Brown <skipster61@...> wrote:
      > I have written and "shopped" a two-hour pilot episode for an updated
      > version of SEARCH, but because no one can determine who owns the rights
      > (the Stevens' estate vs. Warner), most of my contacts have considered
      > the project lukewarm, at best. They like my idea, and the
      > revisualization of the concept, but are afraid to be legally tied by
      > working with it.
      >

      > Their suggestion: write for established T.V. series, wait until SEARCH
      > is available under current copyright laws, and buy the rights myself.
      >

      > Sure. Anyone got some money to invest in the rights of an old TV series?

      Well, *I* certainly would invest in it!!! (Not much, mark you -- I don't have
      that much -- but anything would help, I'm sure.)

      Any possibility of getting a copy of that script to read? I'd love it!

      Jack

      =====
      Jack

      Check out the finest in independent science fiction novels at Fine Line Publishing:
      http://www.Fine-Linepc.com/AC.html
      http://www.Fine-Linepc.com/TWLB.html

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • actingman_jc
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 6 11:43 AM
        We would be most interested to hear what your research revealed...or
        didn't reveal, and how you went about it.

        One of our list members a few years back told us she had checked into
        it and learned Warners owned the show in perpetuity (no idea if that
        is spelled correctly).

        It would be interesting to know why your efforts led to a different,
        inconclusive answer.

        --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Skip Brown" <skipster61@e...>

        *****SNIP*****
      • yorktowncmdr@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 6 3:44 PM
          How much of the series does Hugh O'Brien hold to this day?
        • Skip Brown
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 7 8:47 AM
            He doesn't own any rights to the show. Last I heard he was trying to see
            who did.

            Skip

            How much of the series does Hugh O'Brien hold to this day?

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245221.2994078.4377227.2244331/D=egroupweb/S=1705
            456829:HM/A=1484259/R=0/*http:/click.atdmt.com/COL/go/yhxxxchm00200120co
            l/direct/01/&time=1046994290903162>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245221.2994078.4377227.2244331/D=egrou
            pmail/S=:HM/A=1484259/rand=359542462>

          • Skip Brown
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 7 9:03 AM
              In a post in this group from last year, 9-1-2002, I shared some of my
              findings about the Copyright of the early SEARCH episodes. Circular
              22 from the U.S. Copyright office explains in detail about
              ownerships, rights, etc. under present and then present laws.
              Some of my research is found within that post.

              I will check with my "innies" to find out where they derived their
              info.

              Thanks!
              Skip

              --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "actingman_jc" <actingman@m...>
              wrote:
              > We would be most interested to hear what your research
              revealed...or
              > didn't reveal, and how you went about it.
              >
              > One of our list members a few years back told us she had checked
              into
              > it and learned Warners owned the show in perpetuity (no idea if
              that
              > is spelled correctly).
              >
              > It would be interesting to know why your efforts led to a
              different,
              > inconclusive answer.
              >

              > --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Skip Brown"
              <skipster61@e...>
              > wrote:
              > > I have written and "shopped" a two-hour pilot episode for an
              > updated
              > > version of SEARCH, but because no one can determine who owns the
              > rights
              > > (the Stevens' estate vs. Warner),
              >
              > *****SNIP*****
            • Skip Brown
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 7 9:07 AM
                I would more than happy to send you a copy, but please understand, I
                can't post it online for my own protection. Even if I did it as
                so-called "Fan fic" I might botch my opportunity to get it seen by the
                right people.

                What I may do is post an early, and drastically revised version, just to
                see what "the gang" thinks.

                Thanks!

                Skip

                > I have written and "shopped" a two-hour pilot episode for an updated
                > version of SEARCH, but because no one can determine who owns the
                rights
                > (the Stevens' estate vs. Warner), most of my contacts have considered
                > the project lukewarm, at best. They like my idea, and the
                > revisualization of the concept, but are afraid to be legally tied by
                > working with it.
                >

                > Their suggestion: write for established T.V. series, wait until SEARCH
                > is available under current copyright laws, and buy the rights myself.
                >

                > Sure. Anyone got some money to invest in the rights of an old TV
                series?

                Well, *I* certainly would invest in it!!! (Not much, mark you -- I
                don't have
                that much -- but anything would help, I'm sure.)

                Any possibility of getting a copy of that script to read? I'd love it!

                Jack

                =====
                Jack

                Check out the finest in independent science fiction novels at Fine Line
                Publishing:
                http://www.Fine-Linepc.com/AC.html
                http://www.Fine-Linepc.com/TWLB.html

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                456829:HM/A=1482387/R=0/*http:/ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd=RND|SITEID
                %0d%0a=1046954364%3eM=247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17054
                56829:HM/A=1482387/R=1>

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=egrou
                pmail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=729124273>

              • Mike Valerio
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 7 12:16 PM
                  I had the opportunity to work with Leslie Stevens for
                  precisely one day back in 1988 he was producing THE
                  HIGHWAYMAN in Arizona for Glen Larson. I initiated a
                  brief but lively conversation with him regarding
                  SEARCH. He told me that (at that time) Warner Bros.
                  controlled all rights to the series and that though he
                  �would love to bring it back because it really was
                  ahead of its time�, all of the control belonged to Warners...
                • actingman_jc
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 7 1:15 PM
                    I have a certain sympathy with people who remake or reimage previous
                    works. On the one hand it's nice if they seek out the opinions of
                    the fans of the original work, but at the same time the artist has to
                    make their own decisions, since it is their project.

                    In the Galactica relm, the fans are railing against the proposed
                    changes, casting, etc on the remake.

                    And reading about the rejected Time Tunnel pilot recently produced at
                    Fox, I have my own questions as to what they intended if it had gone
                    to series.

                    So if you want to have a spirited generic discussion on the subject,
                    I don't think the heat will go too high.

                    I say generic because, of course, as Skip knows, he has to have his
                    stuff registered, copyrighted, etc. so some moron at Yahoo can't
                    claim down the road that they own the content of his produced show
                    when one of us mentions an idea that he had already come up with on
                    his own that was used in the show. David Gerrold wrote about a
                    similar incident happening to him once during the animated Star Trek.

                    wrote:
                    > What I may do is post an early, and drastically revised version,
                    just to
                    > see what "the gang" thinks.
                    >

                    > Thanks!
                    >
                    > Skip
                  • actingman_jc
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 7 1:19 PM
                      Mike, we would GREATLY appreciate you giving us a full run-down on
                      what he said during that conversation. In all these years, this is
                      only the second time I have heard any quotes from him regarding the
                      series. The first was when a list member found a quote from him in
                      some publication where he said something to the effect that some of
                      the early episodes were good when the concept was allowed to
                      work...or something like that.

                      --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, Mike Valerio <mvscreen@s...>
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 7 1:22 PM
                        Thanks JC. There's a tear rolling from my eye. (sniff).

                        :-)

                        Skip

                        wrote:
                        > What I may do is post an early, and drastically revised version,
                        just to
                        > see what "the gang" thinks.
                        >

                        > Thanks!
                        >
                        > Skip

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                        456829:HM/A=1482387/R=0/*http:/ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd=1047071751
                        %3eM=247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705456829:HM/A=148238
                        7/R=1=1047071751%3eM=247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=170545
                        6829:HM/A=1482387/R=2>

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=egrou
                        pmail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=826878522>

                      • yorktowncmdr@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 7 2:59 PM
                          I can cite an example with Harlan Ellison in the 70s too. He pitched a
                          series to Paramount called Brillo featuring a robot assisting a cop in calls
                          and cases. Paramount rejected the concept quickly, but a year or so later
                          Future Cop materialized as a series. Ellison was one of those rare cases who
                          sued the studio and won.

                          Writers have the right (no pun intended) to protect their intellectual
                          properties.
                        • Mike Valerio
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 7 5:58 PM
                            actingman:

                            I don't know that I have a whole lot more to report on
                            my SEARCH-chat with Leslie Stevens because (A) the
                            conversation occurred over 15 years ago and (B) we
                            were focusing on the business at hand (shooting promos
                            with Sam Jones and Jacko for THE HIGHWAYMAN), so this
                            brief conversation was definitely more on the order of
                            an aside. Having said that, here�s what I recall:

                            At some point during our day together, I said to
                            Leslie something like: "Do you know what series of
                            yours I really loved?" He smiled and said in a hammy,
                            faux-spooky voice: "THE OUTER LIMITS!"

                            I replied that, sure, I enoyed THE OUTER LIMITS...but
                            what I really loved was SEARCH. At that point, Leslie
                            broke into a broad grin, beaming and slapping his
                            hands together, exclaiming: "Oh, wasn't that a good
                            show?" I told him that it was a GREAT show and then
                            proceeded to run down all the things I liked about it.
                            Leslie was obviously eating it up, smiling and nodding
                            his head with genuine appreciation...he clearly did
                            not have conversations about SEARCH every day. I told
                            him that I had great time watching the series and
                            asked him if it "was fun to work on". He sort of
                            laughed and said: "Yeah, it was fun..." Then, he
                            looked around THE HIGHWAYMAN set and said, "Fun and,
                            well, you know...", waving his hands in the direction
                            of the lights, camera, crew and huge HIGHWAYMAN truck.
                            (I took this to mean "fun, but a lot or work and
                            stress, too..."). Leslie then said something like: "We
                            had some good things in that show and I'm trying to
                            get some of that in this one, too. You know, the
                            gadgets and the high-tech things". I asked him if he
                            ever considered bringing SEARCH back as a feature
                            film. That's when he said that he "would love to bring
                            it back because it really was ahead of its time", but
                            that Warners owned and controlled the property. I
                            sensed at that moment that he seemed to be getting a
                            little...I dunno...wistful? melancholy? bitter?...I
                            don't know, but I felt like I should wrap it up, so I
                            said: "Well, I loved the show and I thank you for
                            making it". His mood shifted again and he brightened
                            up. He patted me on the shoulder and said "Thank you.
                            I'm glad you liked it" and, then, we went back to the
                            business of getting Sam Jones and Jacko on film.

                            That's about as much detail as I can recall. - MV

                            wrote:
                            > I had the opportunity to work with Leslie Stevens
                            for
                            > precisely one day back in 1988 he was producing THE
                            > HIGHWAYMAN in Arizona for Glen Larson. I initiated a
                            > brief but lively conversation with him regarding
                            > SEARCH. He told me that (at that time) Warner Bros.
                            > controlled all rights to the series and that though
                            he
                            > "would love to bring it back because it really was
                            > ahead of its time", all of the control belonged to
                            Warners...
                          • Marc Dubé
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 7 8:58 PM
                              There is no question that bringing back a show like "Search" and
                              making it appealing to today's audience would be a daunting task.
                              Compare "Star Trek" from the 60's to "The Next Generation" form the
                              80's. Gene Roddenberry did not try to bring back the same show, he
                              created a much more detailed universe with all new characters, yet
                              still retained the "Star Trek" essence of the 60's version. Although
                              both shows were quite different, "Generations" took off with a life
                              of its own and became equally loved be the fans. In fact I thing
                              that "Generations" added much more depth to the "Star Trek" Universe
                              and in my opinion was actually better than the 60's version. I think
                              the same could apply to a new "Search". I personally would not
                              expect to bring back the same characters of the seventies played by
                              different actors of today. I think, a new more detailed "Search"
                              universe with new characters could be created and still somehow
                              retain the same appeal of the old show. Unlike "Star Trek" were Gene
                              Roddenberry was responsible for it's return, Leslie Stevens
                              unfortunately is no longer with us, perhaps only his vision could
                              have done justice to a new "Search".
                            • Skip Brown
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 8 6:31 AM
                                I agree that Star Trek:TNG is probably the best of all the Star Trek
                                incarnations, but frankly, it started off on very poor legs. Compare
                                Next Generation episodes from the first season, like "The Naked Now"
                                with third season episodes like "Yesterday's Enterprise" and you will
                                see a lot of growth and maturity. With a few exceptions, like Tracy
                                Torme's "The Big Goodbye" most of the first season episodes were
                                shallow, stilted, and cold. The show always looked good (hats off to
                                Mike Okuda and his team) but it didn't always "feel" good.

                                I am a very strong believer in character driven series. When there is
                                too much emphasis on the theme, or gadgets, you lose the audience.
                                Viewers want and need a sense of "belonging" to a program by way of
                                getting to know, and feeling close to its characters. If the characters
                                are not likeable, complex, and "real" the audience doesn't buy into
                                program. SEARCH started off with that sensibility. Good, well rounded
                                characters in unique settings.

                                And with all the gadgetry at their disposal, how many times do we see
                                our heroes relying on their own gifts or abilities? A lot! That's what
                                made the show watch able: Characters who were written with depth,
                                feeling, and personality.

                                I firmly believe that Leslie Steven's original concept for SEARCH is the
                                best version of the show. Not just because of his vision, but also his
                                attention to the characters, and their development as real people. Any
                                revisitation with the series, would fail if it didn't retain that
                                central equation.

                                Skip

                              • actingman_jc
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 8 11:18 AM
                                  Thank you.

                                  I appreciate the circumstances under which you were able to grab a
                                  quick chat with Mr. Stevens about Search...and reporting it here gave
                                  us all a chance to have that quick moment with him.
                                • Mike Valerio
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 8 11:51 AM
                                    No problem. Naturally, I wish I�d spoken with Leslie
                                    Stevens at length about SEARCH, but, at that moment,
                                    he was clearly focused on the future (such as it
                                    was...THE HIGHWAYMAN) and not the past.

                                    I will say that my biggest regret about the
                                    conversation is that I did not think to ask Mr.
                                    Stevens about the influence that the espionage
                                    thriller THE CHAIRMAN may have had on him and his
                                    creation and development of the PROBE/SEARCH concept.

                                    In that 1969 film, Gregory Peck plays John Hathaway,
                                    an American spy sent to Red China to liberate the
                                    formula for a newly developed agricultural enzyme.
                                    Prior to the mission, Peck is equipped with the �Q-23
                                    transmitter�, an aspirin-sized broadcasting device
                                    that�s been inplanted in the �mastoid sinus� of his
                                    skull (near his ear). This micro-transmitter not only
                                    broadcasts (via satellite) Hathaway�s voice (and, by
                                    extension, all of his conversations), but also
                                    monitors his physical status. A team of telemetry
                                    specialists back at �Operation Minotaur� (a manned,
                                    computer-consoled operations center that�s bigger than
                                    the World Securities� Probe Control, but smaller than
                                    NASA�s Mission Control) monitor their agent�s pulse
                                    rate, adrenaline level, arterial activity and other
                                    physiology under hard-driving operations head Shelby
                                    (Arthur Hiller) and his British, Streeter-like
                                    watchdog (Alan Dobie).

                                    There is no camera component to Minotaur's
                                    transmitter, but Hathaway�s movements are visually
                                    tracked by a GPS-style map display screen. The Q-23
                                    (when opened up in a close-up) looks remarkably like
                                    the World Securities scanner (minus the lens).

                                    THE CHAIRMAN was directed by J. Lee Thompson and
                                    produced by Arthur P Jacobs (both vets of 20th Century
                                    Fox�s PLANET OF THE APES film series) and written by
                                    Ben Maddow, based on the novel by Jay Richard Kennedy.

                                    I have seen the film a number of times and there�s
                                    little doubt in my mind that THE CHAIRMAN (released by
                                    Fox to theaters three years before PROBE aired on NBC)
                                    was a major influence/inspiration for PROBE/SEARCH.
                                    Again, had I thought to ask Leslie Stevens about it
                                    when I had the chance, I�d know for sure...

                                    - MV
                                  • yorktowncmdr@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 8 2:55 PM
                                      > I will say that my biggest regret about the
                                      > conversation is that I did not think to ask Mr.
                                      > Stevens about the influence that the espionage
                                      > thriller THE CHAIRMAN may have had on him and his
                                      > creation and development of the PROBE/SEARCH concept.

                                      That was exactly my though when I first saw The Chairman in December 1973.
                                      This was a few months after NBC canceled SEARCH. It was the beginning of my
                                      winter break from school (I was a high school sophomore at the time and
                                      smitten with a pretty face).

                                      It was ironic on one matter. My mom detested SEARCH, but she liked this
                                      movie. It wasn't as technical and as risque for her tastes. It probably
                                      helped because Gregory Peck starred in it.

                                      > In that 1969 film, Gregory Peck plays John Hathaway,
                                      > an American spy sent to Red China to liberate the
                                      > formula for a newly developed agricultural enzyme.

                                      In high school biology we were covering elementary biochemistry. This movie
                                      was putting my newfound knowledge on amino acids, peptides, proteins, and
                                      enzymes to use.

                                      > Prior to the mission, Peck is equipped with the “Q-23
                                      > transmitter”, an aspirin-sized broadcasting device
                                      > that’s been inplanted in the “mastoid sinus” of his
                                      > skull (near his ear). This micro-transmitter not only
                                      > broadcasts (via satellite) Hathaway’s voice (and, by
                                      > extension, all of his conversations), but also
                                      > monitors his physical status. A team of telemetry
                                      > specialists back at “Operation Minotaur” (a manned,
                                      > computer-consoled operations center that’s bigger than
                                      > the World Securities’ Probe Control, but smaller than
                                      > NASA’s Mission Control) monitor their agent’s pulse
                                      > rate, adrenaline level, arterial activity and other
                                      > physiology under hard-driving operations head Shelby
                                      > (Arthur Hiller) and his British, Streeter-like
                                      > watchdog (Alan Dobie).

                                      I would like to think this was an NSA installation or operation. No names
                                      were used though.

                                      > There is no camera component to Minotaur's
                                      > transmitter, but Hathaway’s movements are visually
                                      > tracked by a GPS-style map display screen. The Q-23
                                      > (when opened up in a close-up) looks remarkably like
                                      > the World Securities scanner (minus the lens).

                                      Indeed. It was very reminiscent of the Probe scanner. Though, we never knew
                                      what the Probe receiver implant looked like.

                                      > THE CHAIRMAN was directed by J. Lee Thompson and
                                      > produced by Arthur P Jacobs (both vets of 20th Century
                                      > Fox’s PLANET OF THE APES film series) and written by
                                      > Ben Maddow, based on the novel by Jay Richard Kennedy.

                                      This was a case where I liked the movie much more than the book. It took me
                                      several years later to find the Kennedy novel. Personally, I found it
                                      disappointing for lack of character depth, and its profusion of
                                      tastelessness. The movie had some humor to it, and the suspense was
                                      enormous. I must say that the escape to Mongolia and Shelby's mag tape run
                                      kept me on the edge of my seat. I really thought that Gregory Peck would not
                                      make it out of Red China.

                                      Among the other screen credit includes the music by Jerry Goldsmith (Planet of
                                      the Apes, Patton, The Omen, and many others). Other actors featured include
                                      Keye Luke and Zienia Merton (Space: 1999 as Sandra in Main Mission - She was
                                      not such a nice girl in this movie).

                                      > I have seen the film a number of times

                                      I myself have lost track over the years.

                                      > and there’s
                                      > little doubt in my mind that THE CHAIRMAN (released by
                                      > Fox to theaters three years before PROBE aired on NBC)
                                      > was a major influence/inspiration for PROBE/SEARCH.
                                      > Again, had I thought to ask Leslie Stevens about it
                                      > when I had the chance, I’d know for sure...
                                      >
                                      > - MV

                                      Many thanks for this posting. I always look for an excuse to talk about The
                                      Chairman.

                                      End Run

                                      David

                                      World Securities Analyst
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 8 5:09 PM
                                        --- In probe_control, yorktowncmdr@a... wrote:
                                        > Indeed. It was very reminiscent of the Probe scanner. Though, we
                                        > never knew what the Probe receiver implant looked like...

                                        Hi David: Not to pick on you or anything because I enjoyed reading
                                        your post about "The Chairman." But SEARCH did show us what the
                                        audio implant receiver looked like. Remember "Let Us Prey" after
                                        Danzig's surgeon removed it from Bianco? They cleverly cut to a
                                        close up of what appeared to be a regular watch battery of the time.
                                        Gotta save on that budget, you know. :-)

                                        --Don
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 8 5:18 PM
                                          --- In probe_control, Mike Valerio wrote:
                                          > Leslie was obviously eating it up, smiling and nodding
                                          > his head with genuine appreciation...he clearly did
                                          > not have conversations about SEARCH every day. I told
                                          > him that I had great time watching the series and
                                          > asked him if it "was fun to work on". He sort of
                                          > laughed and said: "Yeah, it was fun..."

                                          Hi Mike: Thank you VERY much for sharing your story about Leslie
                                          Stevens. It squares with the other stories we have heard so far.
                                          Apparently when PROBE/SEARCH started, it was indeed a lot of fun.
                                          But trouble entered later, culminating in Stevens leaving the day-to-
                                          day production of the series for various reasons.

                                          --Don H.
                                        • Mike Valerio
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Mar 8 5:40 PM
                                            David:

                                            I had the opposite viewing experience with THE
                                            CHAIRMAN and SEARCH. I saw THE CHAIRMAN in a movie
                                            theater with my parents during its initial 1969
                                            release (I was 11 years old) and I just loved it. I
                                            didn't understand a lot of it, but, as you say,
                                            there�s some pretty exciting sequences in it (and some
                                            great stylized editing and nonlinear storytelling).
                                            Three years later, when I watched the PROBE movie on
                                            NBC, I immediately recognized its link to THE CHAIRMAN
                                            and SEARCH suddenly became my new favorite show.

                                            Back in those days, there was a lot of �borrowing�
                                            from feature films for �inspiration� in the creation
                                            of TV series. BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID begat
                                            ALIAS SMITH AND JONES. IT TAKES A THIEF begat TO CATCH
                                            A THIEF. COOGAN�S BLUFF begat McCLOUD. THE STING begat
                                            SWITCH. The king of this sort of thing was Glen
                                            Larson, who was so notorious for his idea--hijacking
                                            that he was dubbed �Glen Larceny�. Larson and Leslie
                                            Stevens were contemporaries and colleagues, working on
                                            THE VIRGINIAN and McCLOUD together. After STAR WARS
                                            hit big, Larson and Stevens were on the airwaves with
                                            BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and BUCK ROGERS. Of course, one
                                            year after THE TWILIGHT ZONE debuted, Leslie Stevens
                                            �created� THE OUTER LIMITS. Mr. Stevens told me that
                                            �without THE ROAD WARRIOR, there would be no
                                            HIGHWAYMAN�. Put it all together and I have no problem
                                            believing that Mr. Stevens saw THE CHAIRMAN and
                                            thought: �You know, that would make a great TV
                                            series...�

                                            As for THE CHAIRMAN itself, it still pops up
                                            semi-regularly on both Cinemax and TBS. I, too, own
                                            the book. I�ve yet to read it, but it�s sitting on the
                                            same shelf as Weverka�s SEARCH and MOONROCK... - MV