RE: [probe_control] A new "Search" Show?

  • Skip Brown
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 5 11:19 PM
      I have written and "shopped" a two-hour pilot episode for an updated
      version of SEARCH, but because no one can determine who owns the rights
      (the Stevens' estate vs. Warner), most of my contacts have considered
      the project lukewarm, at best. They like my idea, and the
      revisualization of the concept, but are afraid to be legally tied by
      working with it.

      Their suggestion: write for established T.V. series, wait until SEARCH
      is available under current copyright laws, and buy the rights myself.

      Sure. Anyone got some money to invest in the rights of an old TV series?

      Skip

    • Jack Bagley
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 6 4:39 AM
        --- Skip Brown <skipster61@...> wrote:
        > I have written and "shopped" a two-hour pilot episode for an updated
        > version of SEARCH, but because no one can determine who owns the rights
        > (the Stevens' estate vs. Warner), most of my contacts have considered
        > the project lukewarm, at best. They like my idea, and the
        > revisualization of the concept, but are afraid to be legally tied by
        > working with it.
        >

        > Their suggestion: write for established T.V. series, wait until SEARCH
        > is available under current copyright laws, and buy the rights myself.
        >

        > Sure. Anyone got some money to invest in the rights of an old TV series?

        Well, *I* certainly would invest in it!!! (Not much, mark you -- I don't have
        that much -- but anything would help, I'm sure.)

        Any possibility of getting a copy of that script to read? I'd love it!

        Jack

        =====
        Jack

        Check out the finest in independent science fiction novels at Fine Line Publishing:
        http://www.Fine-Linepc.com/AC.html
        http://www.Fine-Linepc.com/TWLB.html

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • actingman_jc
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 6 11:43 AM
          We would be most interested to hear what your research revealed...or
          didn't reveal, and how you went about it.

          One of our list members a few years back told us she had checked into
          it and learned Warners owned the show in perpetuity (no idea if that
          is spelled correctly).

          It would be interesting to know why your efforts led to a different,
          inconclusive answer.

          --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Skip Brown" <skipster61@e...>

          *****SNIP*****
        • yorktowncmdr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 6 3:44 PM
            How much of the series does Hugh O'Brien hold to this day?
          • Skip Brown
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 7 8:47 AM
              He doesn't own any rights to the show. Last I heard he was trying to see
              who did.

              Skip

              How much of the series does Hugh O'Brien hold to this day?

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245221.2994078.4377227.2244331/D=egroupweb/S=1705
              456829:HM/A=1484259/R=0/*http:/click.atdmt.com/COL/go/yhxxxchm00200120co
              l/direct/01/&time=1046994290903162>

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245221.2994078.4377227.2244331/D=egrou
              pmail/S=:HM/A=1484259/rand=359542462>

            • Skip Brown
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 7 9:03 AM
                In a post in this group from last year, 9-1-2002, I shared some of my
                findings about the Copyright of the early SEARCH episodes. Circular
                22 from the U.S. Copyright office explains in detail about
                ownerships, rights, etc. under present and then present laws.
                Some of my research is found within that post.

                I will check with my "innies" to find out where they derived their
                info.

                Thanks!
                Skip

                --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "actingman_jc" <actingman@m...>
                wrote:
                > We would be most interested to hear what your research
                revealed...or
                > didn't reveal, and how you went about it.
                >
                > One of our list members a few years back told us she had checked
                into
                > it and learned Warners owned the show in perpetuity (no idea if
                that
                > is spelled correctly).
                >
                > It would be interesting to know why your efforts led to a
                different,
                > inconclusive answer.
                >

                > --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Skip Brown"
                <skipster61@e...>
                > wrote:
                > > I have written and "shopped" a two-hour pilot episode for an
                > updated
                > > version of SEARCH, but because no one can determine who owns the
                > rights
                > > (the Stevens' estate vs. Warner),
                >
                > *****SNIP*****
              • Skip Brown
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 7 9:07 AM
                  I would more than happy to send you a copy, but please understand, I
                  can't post it online for my own protection. Even if I did it as
                  so-called "Fan fic" I might botch my opportunity to get it seen by the
                  right people.

                  What I may do is post an early, and drastically revised version, just to
                  see what "the gang" thinks.

                  Thanks!

                  Skip

                  > I have written and "shopped" a two-hour pilot episode for an updated
                  > version of SEARCH, but because no one can determine who owns the
                  rights
                  > (the Stevens' estate vs. Warner), most of my contacts have considered
                  > the project lukewarm, at best. They like my idea, and the
                  > revisualization of the concept, but are afraid to be legally tied by
                  > working with it.
                  >

                  > Their suggestion: write for established T.V. series, wait until SEARCH
                  > is available under current copyright laws, and buy the rights myself.
                  >

                  > Sure. Anyone got some money to invest in the rights of an old TV
                  series?

                  Well, *I* certainly would invest in it!!! (Not much, mark you -- I
                  don't have
                  that much -- but anything would help, I'm sure.)

                  Any possibility of getting a copy of that script to read? I'd love it!

                  Jack

                  =====
                  Jack

                  Check out the finest in independent science fiction novels at Fine Line
                  Publishing:
                  http://www.Fine-Linepc.com/AC.html
                  http://www.Fine-Linepc.com/TWLB.html

                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                  456829:HM/A=1482387/R=0/*http:/ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd=RND|SITEID
                  %0d%0a=1046954364%3eM=247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17054
                  56829:HM/A=1482387/R=1>

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=egrou
                  pmail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=729124273>

                • Mike Valerio
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 7 12:16 PM
                    I had the opportunity to work with Leslie Stevens for
                    precisely one day back in 1988 he was producing THE
                    HIGHWAYMAN in Arizona for Glen Larson. I initiated a
                    brief but lively conversation with him regarding
                    SEARCH. He told me that (at that time) Warner Bros.
                    controlled all rights to the series and that though he
                    �would love to bring it back because it really was
                    ahead of its time�, all of the control belonged to Warners...
                  • actingman_jc
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 7 1:15 PM
                      I have a certain sympathy with people who remake or reimage previous
                      works. On the one hand it's nice if they seek out the opinions of
                      the fans of the original work, but at the same time the artist has to
                      make their own decisions, since it is their project.

                      In the Galactica relm, the fans are railing against the proposed
                      changes, casting, etc on the remake.

                      And reading about the rejected Time Tunnel pilot recently produced at
                      Fox, I have my own questions as to what they intended if it had gone
                      to series.

                      So if you want to have a spirited generic discussion on the subject,
                      I don't think the heat will go too high.

                      I say generic because, of course, as Skip knows, he has to have his
                      stuff registered, copyrighted, etc. so some moron at Yahoo can't
                      claim down the road that they own the content of his produced show
                      when one of us mentions an idea that he had already come up with on
                      his own that was used in the show. David Gerrold wrote about a
                      similar incident happening to him once during the animated Star Trek.

                      wrote:
                      > What I may do is post an early, and drastically revised version,
                      just to
                      > see what "the gang" thinks.
                      >

                      > Thanks!
                      >
                      > Skip
                    • actingman_jc
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 7 1:19 PM
                        Mike, we would GREATLY appreciate you giving us a full run-down on
                        what he said during that conversation. In all these years, this is
                        only the second time I have heard any quotes from him regarding the
                        series. The first was when a list member found a quote from him in
                        some publication where he said something to the effect that some of
                        the early episodes were good when the concept was allowed to
                        work...or something like that.

                        --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, Mike Valerio <mvscreen@s...>
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 7 1:22 PM
                          Thanks JC. There's a tear rolling from my eye. (sniff).

                          :-)

                          Skip

                          wrote:
                          > What I may do is post an early, and drastically revised version,
                          just to
                          > see what "the gang" thinks.
                          >

                          > Thanks!
                          >
                          > Skip

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                          456829:HM/A=1482387/R=0/*http:/ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd=1047071751
                          %3eM=247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705456829:HM/A=148238
                          7/R=1=1047071751%3eM=247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=170545
                          6829:HM/A=1482387/R=2>

                          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=egrou
                          pmail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=826878522>

                        • yorktowncmdr@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 7 2:59 PM
                            I can cite an example with Harlan Ellison in the 70s too. He pitched a
                            series to Paramount called Brillo featuring a robot assisting a cop in calls
                            and cases. Paramount rejected the concept quickly, but a year or so later
                            Future Cop materialized as a series. Ellison was one of those rare cases who
                            sued the studio and won.

                            Writers have the right (no pun intended) to protect their intellectual
                            properties.
                          • Mike Valerio
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 7 5:58 PM
                              actingman:

                              I don't know that I have a whole lot more to report on
                              my SEARCH-chat with Leslie Stevens because (A) the
                              conversation occurred over 15 years ago and (B) we
                              were focusing on the business at hand (shooting promos
                              with Sam Jones and Jacko for THE HIGHWAYMAN), so this
                              brief conversation was definitely more on the order of
                              an aside. Having said that, here�s what I recall:

                              At some point during our day together, I said to
                              Leslie something like: "Do you know what series of
                              yours I really loved?" He smiled and said in a hammy,
                              faux-spooky voice: "THE OUTER LIMITS!"

                              I replied that, sure, I enoyed THE OUTER LIMITS...but
                              what I really loved was SEARCH. At that point, Leslie
                              broke into a broad grin, beaming and slapping his
                              hands together, exclaiming: "Oh, wasn't that a good
                              show?" I told him that it was a GREAT show and then
                              proceeded to run down all the things I liked about it.
                              Leslie was obviously eating it up, smiling and nodding
                              his head with genuine appreciation...he clearly did
                              not have conversations about SEARCH every day. I told
                              him that I had great time watching the series and
                              asked him if it "was fun to work on". He sort of
                              laughed and said: "Yeah, it was fun..." Then, he
                              looked around THE HIGHWAYMAN set and said, "Fun and,
                              well, you know...", waving his hands in the direction
                              of the lights, camera, crew and huge HIGHWAYMAN truck.
                              (I took this to mean "fun, but a lot or work and
                              stress, too..."). Leslie then said something like: "We
                              had some good things in that show and I'm trying to
                              get some of that in this one, too. You know, the
                              gadgets and the high-tech things". I asked him if he
                              ever considered bringing SEARCH back as a feature
                              film. That's when he said that he "would love to bring
                              it back because it really was ahead of its time", but
                              that Warners owned and controlled the property. I
                              sensed at that moment that he seemed to be getting a
                              little...I dunno...wistful? melancholy? bitter?...I
                              don't know, but I felt like I should wrap it up, so I
                              said: "Well, I loved the show and I thank you for
                              making it". His mood shifted again and he brightened
                              up. He patted me on the shoulder and said "Thank you.
                              I'm glad you liked it" and, then, we went back to the
                              business of getting Sam Jones and Jacko on film.

                              That's about as much detail as I can recall. - MV

                              wrote:
                              > I had the opportunity to work with Leslie Stevens
                              for
                              > precisely one day back in 1988 he was producing THE
                              > HIGHWAYMAN in Arizona for Glen Larson. I initiated a
                              > brief but lively conversation with him regarding
                              > SEARCH. He told me that (at that time) Warner Bros.
                              > controlled all rights to the series and that though
                              he
                              > "would love to bring it back because it really was
                              > ahead of its time", all of the control belonged to
                              Warners...
                            • Marc Dubé
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 7 8:58 PM
                                There is no question that bringing back a show like "Search" and
                                making it appealing to today's audience would be a daunting task.
                                Compare "Star Trek" from the 60's to "The Next Generation" form the
                                80's. Gene Roddenberry did not try to bring back the same show, he
                                created a much more detailed universe with all new characters, yet
                                still retained the "Star Trek" essence of the 60's version. Although
                                both shows were quite different, "Generations" took off with a life
                                of its own and became equally loved be the fans. In fact I thing
                                that "Generations" added much more depth to the "Star Trek" Universe
                                and in my opinion was actually better than the 60's version. I think
                                the same could apply to a new "Search". I personally would not
                                expect to bring back the same characters of the seventies played by
                                different actors of today. I think, a new more detailed "Search"
                                universe with new characters could be created and still somehow
                                retain the same appeal of the old show. Unlike "Star Trek" were Gene
                                Roddenberry was responsible for it's return, Leslie Stevens
                                unfortunately is no longer with us, perhaps only his vision could
                                have done justice to a new "Search".
                              • Skip Brown
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 8 6:31 AM
                                  I agree that Star Trek:TNG is probably the best of all the Star Trek
                                  incarnations, but frankly, it started off on very poor legs. Compare
                                  Next Generation episodes from the first season, like "The Naked Now"
                                  with third season episodes like "Yesterday's Enterprise" and you will
                                  see a lot of growth and maturity. With a few exceptions, like Tracy
                                  Torme's "The Big Goodbye" most of the first season episodes were
                                  shallow, stilted, and cold. The show always looked good (hats off to
                                  Mike Okuda and his team) but it didn't always "feel" good.

                                  I am a very strong believer in character driven series. When there is
                                  too much emphasis on the theme, or gadgets, you lose the audience.
                                  Viewers want and need a sense of "belonging" to a program by way of
                                  getting to know, and feeling close to its characters. If the characters
                                  are not likeable, complex, and "real" the audience doesn't buy into
                                  program. SEARCH started off with that sensibility. Good, well rounded
                                  characters in unique settings.

                                  And with all the gadgetry at their disposal, how many times do we see
                                  our heroes relying on their own gifts or abilities? A lot! That's what
                                  made the show watch able: Characters who were written with depth,
                                  feeling, and personality.

                                  I firmly believe that Leslie Steven's original concept for SEARCH is the
                                  best version of the show. Not just because of his vision, but also his
                                  attention to the characters, and their development as real people. Any
                                  revisitation with the series, would fail if it didn't retain that
                                  central equation.

                                  Skip

                                • actingman_jc
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 8 11:18 AM
                                    Thank you.

                                    I appreciate the circumstances under which you were able to grab a
                                    quick chat with Mr. Stevens about Search...and reporting it here gave
                                    us all a chance to have that quick moment with him.
                                  • Mike Valerio
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 8 11:51 AM
                                      No problem. Naturally, I wish I�d spoken with Leslie
                                      Stevens at length about SEARCH, but, at that moment,
                                      he was clearly focused on the future (such as it
                                      was...THE HIGHWAYMAN) and not the past.

                                      I will say that my biggest regret about the
                                      conversation is that I did not think to ask Mr.
                                      Stevens about the influence that the espionage
                                      thriller THE CHAIRMAN may have had on him and his
                                      creation and development of the PROBE/SEARCH concept.

                                      In that 1969 film, Gregory Peck plays John Hathaway,
                                      an American spy sent to Red China to liberate the
                                      formula for a newly developed agricultural enzyme.
                                      Prior to the mission, Peck is equipped with the �Q-23
                                      transmitter�, an aspirin-sized broadcasting device
                                      that�s been inplanted in the �mastoid sinus� of his
                                      skull (near his ear). This micro-transmitter not only
                                      broadcasts (via satellite) Hathaway�s voice (and, by
                                      extension, all of his conversations), but also
                                      monitors his physical status. A team of telemetry
                                      specialists back at �Operation Minotaur� (a manned,
                                      computer-consoled operations center that�s bigger than
                                      the World Securities� Probe Control, but smaller than
                                      NASA�s Mission Control) monitor their agent�s pulse
                                      rate, adrenaline level, arterial activity and other
                                      physiology under hard-driving operations head Shelby
                                      (Arthur Hiller) and his British, Streeter-like
                                      watchdog (Alan Dobie).

                                      There is no camera component to Minotaur's
                                      transmitter, but Hathaway�s movements are visually
                                      tracked by a GPS-style map display screen. The Q-23
                                      (when opened up in a close-up) looks remarkably like
                                      the World Securities scanner (minus the lens).

                                      THE CHAIRMAN was directed by J. Lee Thompson and
                                      produced by Arthur P Jacobs (both vets of 20th Century
                                      Fox�s PLANET OF THE APES film series) and written by
                                      Ben Maddow, based on the novel by Jay Richard Kennedy.

                                      I have seen the film a number of times and there�s
                                      little doubt in my mind that THE CHAIRMAN (released by
                                      Fox to theaters three years before PROBE aired on NBC)
                                      was a major influence/inspiration for PROBE/SEARCH.
                                      Again, had I thought to ask Leslie Stevens about it
                                      when I had the chance, I�d know for sure...

                                      - MV
                                    • yorktowncmdr@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 8 2:55 PM
                                        > I will say that my biggest regret about the
                                        > conversation is that I did not think to ask Mr.
                                        > Stevens about the influence that the espionage
                                        > thriller THE CHAIRMAN may have had on him and his
                                        > creation and development of the PROBE/SEARCH concept.

                                        That was exactly my though when I first saw The Chairman in December 1973.
                                        This was a few months after NBC canceled SEARCH. It was the beginning of my
                                        winter break from school (I was a high school sophomore at the time and
                                        smitten with a pretty face).

                                        It was ironic on one matter. My mom detested SEARCH, but she liked this
                                        movie. It wasn't as technical and as risque for her tastes. It probably
                                        helped because Gregory Peck starred in it.

                                        > In that 1969 film, Gregory Peck plays John Hathaway,
                                        > an American spy sent to Red China to liberate the
                                        > formula for a newly developed agricultural enzyme.

                                        In high school biology we were covering elementary biochemistry. This movie
                                        was putting my newfound knowledge on amino acids, peptides, proteins, and
                                        enzymes to use.

                                        > Prior to the mission, Peck is equipped with the “Q-23
                                        > transmitter”, an aspirin-sized broadcasting device
                                        > that’s been inplanted in the “mastoid sinus” of his
                                        > skull (near his ear). This micro-transmitter not only
                                        > broadcasts (via satellite) Hathaway’s voice (and, by
                                        > extension, all of his conversations), but also
                                        > monitors his physical status. A team of telemetry
                                        > specialists back at “Operation Minotaur” (a manned,
                                        > computer-consoled operations center that’s bigger than
                                        > the World Securities’ Probe Control, but smaller than
                                        > NASA’s Mission Control) monitor their agent’s pulse
                                        > rate, adrenaline level, arterial activity and other
                                        > physiology under hard-driving operations head Shelby
                                        > (Arthur Hiller) and his British, Streeter-like
                                        > watchdog (Alan Dobie).

                                        I would like to think this was an NSA installation or operation. No names
                                        were used though.

                                        > There is no camera component to Minotaur's
                                        > transmitter, but Hathaway’s movements are visually
                                        > tracked by a GPS-style map display screen. The Q-23
                                        > (when opened up in a close-up) looks remarkably like
                                        > the World Securities scanner (minus the lens).

                                        Indeed. It was very reminiscent of the Probe scanner. Though, we never knew
                                        what the Probe receiver implant looked like.

                                        > THE CHAIRMAN was directed by J. Lee Thompson and
                                        > produced by Arthur P Jacobs (both vets of 20th Century
                                        > Fox’s PLANET OF THE APES film series) and written by
                                        > Ben Maddow, based on the novel by Jay Richard Kennedy.

                                        This was a case where I liked the movie much more than the book. It took me
                                        several years later to find the Kennedy novel. Personally, I found it
                                        disappointing for lack of character depth, and its profusion of
                                        tastelessness. The movie had some humor to it, and the suspense was
                                        enormous. I must say that the escape to Mongolia and Shelby's mag tape run
                                        kept me on the edge of my seat. I really thought that Gregory Peck would not
                                        make it out of Red China.

                                        Among the other screen credit includes the music by Jerry Goldsmith (Planet of
                                        the Apes, Patton, The Omen, and many others). Other actors featured include
                                        Keye Luke and Zienia Merton (Space: 1999 as Sandra in Main Mission - She was
                                        not such a nice girl in this movie).

                                        > I have seen the film a number of times

                                        I myself have lost track over the years.

                                        > and there’s
                                        > little doubt in my mind that THE CHAIRMAN (released by
                                        > Fox to theaters three years before PROBE aired on NBC)
                                        > was a major influence/inspiration for PROBE/SEARCH.
                                        > Again, had I thought to ask Leslie Stevens about it
                                        > when I had the chance, I’d know for sure...
                                        >
                                        > - MV

                                        Many thanks for this posting. I always look for an excuse to talk about The
                                        Chairman.

                                        End Run

                                        David

                                        World Securities Analyst
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 8 5:09 PM
                                          --- In probe_control, yorktowncmdr@a... wrote:
                                          > Indeed. It was very reminiscent of the Probe scanner. Though, we
                                          > never knew what the Probe receiver implant looked like...

                                          Hi David: Not to pick on you or anything because I enjoyed reading
                                          your post about "The Chairman." But SEARCH did show us what the
                                          audio implant receiver looked like. Remember "Let Us Prey" after
                                          Danzig's surgeon removed it from Bianco? They cleverly cut to a
                                          close up of what appeared to be a regular watch battery of the time.
                                          Gotta save on that budget, you know. :-)

                                          --Don
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Mar 8 5:18 PM
                                            --- In probe_control, Mike Valerio wrote:
                                            > Leslie was obviously eating it up, smiling and nodding
                                            > his head with genuine appreciation...he clearly did
                                            > not have conversations about SEARCH every day. I told
                                            > him that I had great time watching the series and
                                            > asked him if it "was fun to work on". He sort of
                                            > laughed and said: "Yeah, it was fun..."

                                            Hi Mike: Thank you VERY much for sharing your story about Leslie
                                            Stevens. It squares with the other stories we have heard so far.
                                            Apparently when PROBE/SEARCH started, it was indeed a lot of fun.
                                            But trouble entered later, culminating in Stevens leaving the day-to-
                                            day production of the series for various reasons.

                                            --Don H.
                                          • Mike Valerio
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Mar 8 5:40 PM
                                              David:

                                              I had the opposite viewing experience with THE
                                              CHAIRMAN and SEARCH. I saw THE CHAIRMAN in a movie
                                              theater with my parents during its initial 1969
                                              release (I was 11 years old) and I just loved it. I
                                              didn't understand a lot of it, but, as you say,
                                              there�s some pretty exciting sequences in it (and some
                                              great stylized editing and nonlinear storytelling).
                                              Three years later, when I watched the PROBE movie on
                                              NBC, I immediately recognized its link to THE CHAIRMAN
                                              and SEARCH suddenly became my new favorite show.

                                              Back in those days, there was a lot of �borrowing�
                                              from feature films for �inspiration� in the creation
                                              of TV series. BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID begat
                                              ALIAS SMITH AND JONES. IT TAKES A THIEF begat TO CATCH
                                              A THIEF. COOGAN�S BLUFF begat McCLOUD. THE STING begat
                                              SWITCH. The king of this sort of thing was Glen
                                              Larson, who was so notorious for his idea--hijacking
                                              that he was dubbed �Glen Larceny�. Larson and Leslie
                                              Stevens were contemporaries and colleagues, working on
                                              THE VIRGINIAN and McCLOUD together. After STAR WARS
                                              hit big, Larson and Stevens were on the airwaves with
                                              BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and BUCK ROGERS. Of course, one
                                              year after THE TWILIGHT ZONE debuted, Leslie Stevens
                                              �created� THE OUTER LIMITS. Mr. Stevens told me that
                                              �without THE ROAD WARRIOR, there would be no
                                              HIGHWAYMAN�. Put it all together and I have no problem
                                              believing that Mr. Stevens saw THE CHAIRMAN and
                                              thought: �You know, that would make a great TV
                                              series...�

                                              As for THE CHAIRMAN itself, it still pops up
                                              semi-regularly on both Cinemax and TBS. I, too, own
                                              the book. I�ve yet to read it, but it�s sitting on the
                                              same shelf as Weverka�s SEARCH and MOONROCK... - MV