PROBE Control consoles

  • okuda23392@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2003
      It's my impression (and this is only a guess) that the six or so main
      consoles and the main video screen were custom built for Search. (These are
      the desk consoles at which the various PROBE Control technicians and Cameron
      sat.) I would guess that the secondary gizmos (the tape drives and blinking
      light devices) on the perimeter of the set were purchased or rented from a
      prop rental company. This might explain why those secondary devices appeared
      in many other productions, far more than did the main consoles.
    • actingman_jc <actingman@mindspring.com>
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2003
        It had never occured to me that they would have spent the money on
        those consoles...but it makes sense, especially since I had never
        seen them in anything prior to Search. Those consoles would be the
        one standing set if the pilot went to series, and I am guessing by
        late 1971 they weren't interested in using the 1950's surplus stuff
        that had been used in many of the 60's shows (the IA shows for
        instance.) I had always guessed that the four standing tape decks,
        where the tape went up and down on rollers across the face of each
        deck were real, and weren't used much in various shows because they
        didn't have lots of flashing lights. The tall narrow reel to reels
        and the horizontal flashing banks were of course visually impressive
        pieces that were used in other shows back into the 60s...like the IA
        shows.

        After having been on the hospital set of Third Watch, I now
        automatically think everyting on tv is made of plywood. Looking at
        the Probe Screen, I can see how it could just be a big piece of cut
        and shaped and painted plywood, with holes cut out for the flashing
        lights, and the rolling numbers...which were then replaced by
        flashing lights for the last eight.

        I have mentioned in the past how Fred Harpmann, who designed the
        Probe set, went on to design the "Newscenter" set, with free standing
        rear projection screens that NBC used in the 70's. Those rear
        projection screens looked very similar, I thought, to the Probe
        Screen, especially the color of the screen in the final eight. If I
        can figure out how to do a grab off a super 8 "kinescope" I made of
        the Newscenter set from 1975, I will post them to see if I had any
        idea what I was thinking back then.