Re: [probe_control] we have a lens what about the mounting

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2003
      Hello Marta
      But do watch crystals come in blue?? I'm a bit confused here. Do you mean
      watch crystals as in their jewel movement in the old fashioned watches??

      Hello Yorktown
      Like the other chap who mentioned Mission: Impossible, I'm quoting from the
      book about the series. The Landau/Bain problem was seen as a joint thing. If
      one got it, then so would the other in a two-prong attack. It's all history
      now anyway.
      It must have made a mess on their records as neither of them appeared to
      have done much work of significance since. I lost track of Landau until the
      'Ed Wood' film & 'The X-Files Movie'. Bain literally disappeared into the
      woodwork.

      Hello Dino
      The Tuesday Night Mystery Movies weren't seen as star rotation, just
      different series in rotation over the weeks as Mike Valerio pointed out. It
      worked out quite nicely cos now we can get a Columbo season without seeing
      the others.
      We never saw the star rotation thing in the UK so it must have been a
      purely US ploy to get you people watching. I'm surprised your father didn't
      let you read the TV channel list to work out who was being shown. Mind you,
      they might have left it vague there to keep everyone guessing.

      Hello Don-2
      Now you know why I refer to the spy technology here occasionally. If
      anything, the lens are getting smaller than the TV scanner. Pity they don't
      have the range into the electromagnetic spectrum. The problem with such bugs
      if approached a'la 'Search' is that could their continual use be justified.
      I'm still investigating the button possibility. I've bought a mother of
      pearl button that has a faint blue tinge to it & has a 7mm diameter. The
      clasp shape can be seen through the front of the button could almost look
      like the back shutter. A bit of detail behind that & it looks viable if it
      can be anchored.
      I'm not too worried about the straight bits but the loop around the lens
      itself needs to be perfect. We seem to be sorting these problems out amongst
      ourselves, so what can we improve from which is a hoop of 8mm??
      We can always go back to the lens if the prototype can be made to work.

      Gotta go

      Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.com or
      http://www.computercrowsnestbooks.com
      THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
      THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

      'SFCrowsnest.com PageRanked by Google as the 2nd most popular Science
      Fiction site on the Internet'
      see: http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/
      1st most popular SF PageRanked by Open Directory Project
      see: http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/

      http://messenger.msn.co.uk
    • pdcsnr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2003
        In a message dated 2/27/2003 6:24:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        gfwillmetts@... writes:

        > It must have made a mess on their records as neither of them appeared to
        > have done much work of significance since. I lost track of Landau until the
        >
        > 'Ed Wood' film & 'The X-Files Movie'. Bain literally disappeared into the
        > woodwork.

        They both appeared in a british series called Space 1999. The show was on in
        1975 and it turned into a cult classic. Landau has been in several things
        over the years. Barbara has been in a lot less.

        Paul

      • galacticprobe <LambuLambu@aol.com>
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2003
          Greetings,

          Just to throw another bit (or 2) into the knowledge pot,
          Space:1999 returned with about 20 new episodes in the fall of 1976.
          This series didn't quite have the same magick as the first series,
          with major character & set changes thanks to Hollywood execs trying
          to cash in on its initial success. All they really did was "American-
          ize" what was an already great British programme. Bain & Landau
          appeared most of those 20 episodes.
          They both appeared together again in the late '70s (79, maybe even
          early '80?) in a made-for-TV movie - the 3rd installment of
          the "Gilligan's Island" reunion movies titled "The Harlem
          Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island." Landau played a long-standing
          rival to Thurston Howell III. Bain was a Russian scientist idolised
          (at least initially) by the Professor. It was a hoot.
          The only thing I have ever seen Bain in since was a few years ago
          on an episode of "Diagnosis Murder." It was an old spy TV free-for-
          all starring Bain in a reprisal of her Cinnamon Carter role from
          Mission:Impossible. That episode also featured Robert Culp (I Spy)
          although I can't remember if he was reprising his old role; Patrick
          MacNee (not as john Steed); Robert Vaughn (again not as Napolean
          Solo); and an alumnus from the Mission:Impossible of the late '80s,
          Phil Morris (son of Greg, as some secret service agent who isn't what
          he seems). Needless to say, in that one, Dick Van Dyke & the other
          regulars didn't share much screen time.

          End Run,
          Dino

        • crayresearch2001 <mountainbike@securenet
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2003
            Hi Geoff, Well assuming that we negate power considerations (and
            incidentally, I've considered integrating an ultra thin "hearing aid"
            battery into the construction of the scanner casing :-)do not be
            swayed by the size of pinhole lenses, I don't think any of them have
            zoom capabilities, as one would have to work alongside infa-red and
            UV sensors, so in fact the smaller the better. But if one wants to go
            for "the full monty" then a more integrated approach is required.
            I've got an idea but the circuitry, as you well know, is minuscule.
            I think a CCD array (think digital camera) would be right on the
            circuitboad and we do away with the small lens as the larger scanner
            lens would also give us zoom in/out capabilities. Perhaps the inner
            lens would be fixed and your outer hoop holding the scanner lens
            would move in and out, with the micromotor/servo assembly on the
            outer periphary of the circuitboard. It's a daunting project :(

            >We can always go back to the lens if the prototype can be made to
            work.

            That sounds like a plan to me. Catch you later, Don-2
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1 12:45 PM
[...]

              Geoff

              PS Will reply to the latest later. Just had a busy day sorting out my
              anti-virus. Don't forget to have your longname path set to a zero if you
              want Norton's LiveUpdate to function.

              Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.com or
              http://www.computercrowsnestbooks.com
              THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
              THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

              'SFCrowsnest.com PageRanked by Google as the 2nd most popular Science
              Fiction site on the Internet'
              see: http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/
              1st most popular SF PageRanked by Open Directory Project
              see: http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/

              Overloaded with spam? With MSN 8, you can filter it out
              http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail&pgmarket=en-gb&XAPID=32&DI=1059