Scanner Reproduction.

  • Kendall Gray <kgray96057@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2003
      Two quick remarks:

      Just joined the list- very pleasantly surprised to find so many
      people interested in this old show.

      I am not a professional model or prop maker.

      These things having been said, I _have_ made the odd bit, here and
      there, for local theatre or convention use. The most important thing
      to remember is... Verisimilitude. Most props, even the "hero" props
      designed for close up work, are _surprisingly_ shabby.

      Jewelry without backing, watches without internals... They are
      designed to look _great_- for a few moments- but that's about it.

      It's all about the _look_, in other words.

      My suggestion would be to print one of the better scanner images-
      using a high end color printer and decent stock. Print it full size.
      Take it to a hardware store and see if you can find some sort of
      metal end cap or fitting that looks to be the approximate shape,
      diameter and depth to serve as the housing- otherwise go to a local
      artisan or jeweler and see if they might be able to manufacture
      something.

      Once you have the housing, get an exacto knife, cut the printed
      color image to fit into the housing. That would give you an exact
      looking "circuit board" including the inside of the lens. I suspect
      that there is an electronics part or fitting- or even a cut down bit
      of hollow tubing- that could be fitted on top of the lens image to
      give it the right look. I also suspect that something like an old
      hard contact lens- which where manufacured with a slight bluish tint-
      might serve as the actual lens cover.

      Even if you had to have the housing manufactured, you would only
      have to do that-admittedly expensive- step once. Before assembling
      the scanner prop, you could make a clay impression or something to
      use as a basis for, say vacu-forming the thing- so that you could
      cheaply make more of these. (Alternately, you could pass the cost of
      manufacture on to someone if you intended to sell these.)

      There are endless options here- depending on how far you wanted to
      take this. Cutting and shaping bits of styrene for the left and right
      side internals-they look like IC Chip sockets- so that they have a
      little 3d feel, for example.

      I don't know what would happen if you tried to sell these at
      conventions- licensing issues- but I'd sure love to have one!

      Kendall