Re: [probe_control] Re: Introductions

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
      Hello everyone
      Hello Jim

      Personal details?? Didn�t I suggest this last year?? Hope you work out the
      statistics of all of this, Jim.

      I�m Geoff Willmetts. Age 45 (46 this year) living in Somerset in the UK. My
      earlier background can be looked up where I�m currently editor, article
      writer, story-writer, reviewer on www.sfcrowsnest.com � the website details
      you see on signature at the bottom of each email sent in. There�s even an
      old moving picture of me taken on a damp day. Usually my hair�s a lot more
      fluffed up than that. Former life included being a scientist & running UK�s
      X-Men Fan Club for a number of years. [Jim, a lot of us are going to own up
      to an interest in comics y�know.]
      As a number of you have discovered I tend to know a lot about TV series,
      SF, science, espionage, technology � although its more to do with
      near-photographic recall than anal retention as I carry a lot of junk in my
      head. What I don�t carry there, I know where to look up. You�d hate to know
      what else I�m a fan of. Outside of SF as a taster, you can include Modesty
      Blaise & �The Destroyer� pulp series. [Anyone know where I can lay my hands
      on the Remo film soundtrack CD � only recently discovered there was one &
      its deleted.]
      [It might be interesting to note how we found the Probe website by the way
      as it might assist in getting others to it.] Although I did do searches on
      the various search engines for �Search� it became a bit nonsensical using
      the term �Search�. Switched to �Probe� & various actor names. I must have
      stopped before the website came up. One of your regulars, Richard
      Rutherford, spotted my interest in the series cos it was in my biographical
      notes on the Net & linked me in. My erstwhile publisher puts a lot of
      cross-connections through Google & that�s how he found me.
      I freelance write when I can & wrote an article about �Search� that
      included enlarged but black & white photos from my Lincoln stills in the UK
      magazine �TV Zone Special� # 12 several years back dependent on my memories
      of the series plus the odd episode & pilot I had on video. Because I used my
      initials with the article some bright spark at their publishing house turned
      the �G� into �Gary�. Based on what Richard�s noticed, some websites have
      used that piece for source for articles on �Search�. I�ve seen the odd one &
      any errors are theirs not mine. As far as I know, I think I�m the only one
      to have written & seen in print on article in �Search� in the paper world.
      I know a few of you have picked up this mag as a back-issue. It�s also one
      of the most expensive on their list cos of nude pics of Katy Manning with a
      dalek from Doctor Who in it rather than my article. If you want to get a
      copy, look up: www.visimag.com/tvzone
      Having got some nice quality generation episodes from Australian Trevor,
      I�ve been revising my memories of �Search�. I first saw them all on BBC2 in
      1973 although didn�t see the pilot until much later & is one of my most
      treasured videos. Frontiere�s music is one of the best I�ve ever heard &
      most memorable. The �Name Of The Game� rotation format made a lot of sense.
      Too many series depend on showing one star getting all the cases. With
      �Search�, one could believe this was a busy organisation working. I loved
      the technology & it�s so nice to see Leslie Stevens� assessment coming true
      today. [By the by, I�ve only just seen the Leslie Neilson film �Spy Hard� �
      anyone else spot the �Search� reference given by actor Robert Gulliame near
      the beginning using an audio jack??]
      Choosing favourite episodes is still tough. Certain aspects have dated &
      some aren�t so good but from what you chaps say has a lot to do with Leslie
      Stevens leaving the show. I do have a fondness for amongst others �Short
      Circuit�, �Suffer My Child� (although largely for the memory of Control
      reviving a drowning Lockwood), �Let Us Prey� & most of Lockwood cos they
      have some of the classiest moments. Gloria Harding trying to get messages
      through to a deaf Lockwood were classic & she has some of the bitchiest
      lines. I usually find something in each to like which is rather unusual for
      the critic in me.
      Merchandise-wise, I pulled scripts, stills & the photoset from Lincoln
      Enterprises years ago. I had the �Moonrock� novelisation as a gift from a
      friend & didn�t get the �Search� novelisation itself until a couple years
      back. Anyone looking for copies should check out www.abebooks.com.

      Hope the rest of you are forthcoming
      Gotta go
      Geoff Willmetts

      Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.com or

      'SFCrowsnest.com PageRanked by Google as the 2nd most popular Science
      Fiction site on the Internet'
      see: http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/
      1st most popular SF PageRanked by Open Directory Project
      see: http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/

    • Marta Dawes
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
        My husband, Steve (also on this list) and I have been Search fans since
        the pilot film. I'm 46, born, raised and continue to live in Omaha,
        Nebraska. I'm also a computer professional, as I see many of the people
        on this list are. I currently work for the largest family-owned bank in
        the midwest, in the Human Resources Information Services group. I do
        quite a bit of database work, as well as working with a 40-year-old
        mainframe payroll system that is a true dinosaur, and managing and
        designing the HR intranet site for the bank (which has over 900 separate
        pages of information that has to constantly be updated).

        I wrote the first review of the "Probe" pilot film on the IMDB, and I
        believe it was Don who emailed me, after reading the review, to tell me
        that the Search group was out there. That's when I joined the list.
        I'm also a comic book fan, but I mostly collect Carl Barks Scrooge
        McDuck and Donald comics. I never got into the super hero comics, but
        Steve did, so those are also in our collection. He's a big Spiderman
        and X-Men fan.

        I write on occasion, have finished a dozen books but haven't sold any
        yet (I've got the plot of a book in the back of my mind that could be a
        hit, if I'd find the time to start it), am a real fanatic on Omaha
        history, and also do all our personal websites as well as contract
        website work.

        Home of
        "The Graveyards of Omaha"
        "The New Twilight Zone" (Read about the TZ Con!)

        as well as
        "Memories of the Indian Hills Theatre in Omaha, Nebraska"
        The last round Super-Cinerama theatre in the world
        Demolished August 20, 2001 for absolutely no reason by Methodist Health

        Sign the Petition to protest the demolition of the Indian Hills Online!

        Call Stephen Long, CEO of Methodist, at 402-354-4000 and tell him the
        theatre should have been reopened as a working film venue.

        Email comments@..., Methodist's website, and tell them the
        theatre should have been saved, and pass the email address and phone
        number on to everyone you know!

        And ---
        Join the Indian Hills and Cinerama and Widescreen Discussion Group
      • Skip Brown
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
          Hey gang..

          I know I introduced myself many months ago, but I will refresh your

          I am Harlan "Skip" Brown, Jr. 41, a published freelance writer and
          screenwriter. I have been writing for 25 years. I love to write songs,
          poetry, scripts, web pages and am working on my first novel, plus
          possibly, a book of poetry. In addition, I am in touch with some
          "connections" in Hollywood, concerning a certain script for the revival
          of a CERTAIN Television series (after we determine who holds the rights
          to it).

          Recently I just left a Fortune 100 company, after nearly 8 years there,
          to pursue a more blessed occupation in overseas Christian missionary
          work (I have an opportunity to work for an international organization in
          Ireland, as soon as February).

          I was still in elementary school when SEARCH first came on, so I did not
          get to see more than three or four episodes. But they were memorable to
          me. Even at that age, I was coming up with my own storylines for the
          series. I loved T.V. so much, I used to make my own "network schedule"
          of TV shows I always wanted to see. I would write up blurbs for my new
          series, place them on the schedule, and then write "TV GUIDE"
          descriptions of certain episodes. I remember that I put SEARCH on at
          9:00 pm, on Fridays, so I would be able to "see it". I had a wonderful
          imagination back then.

          The initial Pilot movie was one I had seen more than once, so the
          Lockwood character was the one I was most exposed to. About 15 years
          ago, when I had my first VCR, I taped a repeat of the Pilot, which is
          still shown occasionally on the TBS cable channel. I've worn it out in a
          couple of places, so I may break down and try to get copies of the whole
          series from you guys.

          I think most of you would agree with me, SEARCH was way before its time.
          There was at least one show that imitated it, but it was never as good
          as the original.

          I wonder if there would be enough interest to have a convention of our

          Have a good one!

          Skip Brown

        • crayresearch2001 <mountainbike@securenet
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
            Name: Don-2(not to be confused with Don H)going on 42. Self employed
            and now into computers, but more as a hobbiest, no doubt Search was a
            great influence. I actually used a Basic network couputer terminal in
            high school, sort of "hacked" into it ;) Search piqued my curiosity
            for electronics projects at the time. When I used to spend hours
            listening to Short Wave on old WW2 vintage Military Radios, I would
            get that Search feeling coming over me. Especially with all those
            lights glowing in the dark. As a TV show search was just too cool.
            Used to watch it at my parents house, on black and white TV!!! But
            still remember it as being a totally awesome show. Recently showed my
            brother(Star Trek fan) some Search episodes and pointed out to him
            the connections to the Star Trek series. He liked it, but I think
            it's the original fans like us who are the most sentimental about the
            show. Burgess Meredith was great as Cameron, but after getting to
            know him as The Penguin, it was interesting to see him as the good
            guy, and good he was. After seeing remakes of Mission Impossible in
            the 80's and The Professionals(British cop show)in the 90's, I am
            sure that a remake of Seach would be possible but only successful if
            done properly, and what are the chances of that happening? If you
            look at Star Trek, they just added stuff to the original series,
            taking into account the passing of time. I think the same formula
            would work perfectly with Search, that is, if Warner Bros. was
            interested in the project. <<<<END RUN>>>>

            Happy New year to the group members!
          • dmanmetz@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2003
              Name: Chris Metz, 32. I'm sure everyone is laughing since I am probably the youngest member in the group. I was two when Search came on the air, but I didn't catch it until the repeats in the summer of 1973. My mother had liked the show mainly because she liked Hugh O'Brian in "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp" and Doug McClure in "The Virginian" Anyway as a child I was to young to follow the plots, but I understood that there was a different Probe agent every week and that they had ear jacks implanted in their ears to talk to Cameron at Probe Control. Every time there was an action scene ( and there were plenty of them) or the flashing lights of Probe Control, my undivided attention was given to the show. My older brother of three years also helped inform of what was going on. I have a great memory and for the longest time I had images of Search in my head. I remember a "Honeymoon to Kill" very well. Especially the car chase scene and Grover getting thrown off of his Corvette (which started my love affair with cars) when it was stolen from him later on in the episode. I remember being scared when Lockwood was thrown overboard into the water by the "Frog men" in "Suffer my Child". Funny thing, the scream scared me first and then I thought the guys in the scuba diving suits were monsters!(LOL) Ahhhhhhhhhh, the imagination of a three year old :) The last episode that stuck in my mind was Cameron being kidnaped and under all those lights in "Moment of Madness". I don't recall many Bianco episodes, but I do remember seeing one were it was night time through the whole episode and it lost my interest. Having seen the videos as an adult, I have come to the conclusion that it was probably "Twenty-four Karot Hit". When my brother and I would play together, he would be Bianco and I was Grover. Another reason Search stated in my memory was that like everyone else in the group, the pilot was shown numerous times in syndication in the 70's and up to the mid 80s. For the longest time my brother and I could never figure out why Search had made it to syndication. I had high hopes in the mid 90's when the Sci-Fi channel started showing 70's sci-fi shows that had also liked as a kid: The Invisible Man (1975), Gemini Man(1976), The Magician (1973), Auto Man (1984), etc. I just knew Search was gonna show up, but it didn't, and I was crushed :( That's why I was overjoyed when I found this site in 2000 was able to the see the show as adult and fully understand it. Thank God for the Internet. It's great to tap into childhood memories when not working. Presently I'm a Captain in US Army.
              Welcome to all the new members.

            • Michael Beacom
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 12, 2003

                I'm Michael and I'm from Omaha. I'm at the tail end of the
                baby boom (born in '64, only 38) but I remember Search very

                I first remember Search, seeing it advertised on tv. I
                remember the tv commercial, and the one shot that stuck in
                my mind was seeing the red Probe Control screen with a
                fish-eye view of what I would later discover was Lockwood's
                hand on a car's steering wheel- it was unusual because the
                camera's POV was that of the driver and this was before
                cameras were routinely in racecars etc.

                I watched most of the episodes, although after a while only
                images from some stick in my mind (Lockwood racing around a
                beach in a dune buggy - I wanted the Dune Buggy. Grover
                getting punched by a thug who was wearing the Probe so we
                got a fist-eye-view of him getting smacked, etc.). I wanted
                it to go on, so I wrote my own search scripts on an electric
                Underwood Scriptor type writer - Then, in the latter 70's, a
                couple of wonderful things happened; late nite TV started
                rerunning the pilot film (I remember setting up my tape
                recorder with a patch-cable from my father's radio, which
                could pick up all of the tv stations, and recording Search
                on cassettes and waiting with breathless anticipation for
                the show to begin. Yes, this was before VCR's.) and someone
                left two books in a used book store - one was Search and the
                other was the adaptation of Moonrock. Also, I was getting a
                newsletter from Gene Roddenberry's Lincoln Enterprises, and
                he started offering film clips. I ordered all my allowance
                could afford. I rediscovered Search all over again.

                In the 80's my house got a vcr and cable at about the same
                time, and two superstations ran the Search pilot within a
                week of each other, so I got two copies, and using that and
                the audio tape as a guide was able to splice together a
                complete version of the pilot without commercials or
                omissions. I still have it all to this day.

                The latest great re-discovery was finding this site
                dedicated to the series, and it has allowed me to relive it
                all over again. I don't always have a lot to add because
                the individuals here are very on-the-ball and it is usually
                said or done before I can add my two cents, but that is
                okay. It's always stimulating to tune in.

                Michael B.