Seasons Greetings Fellow Search Fans; I am very glad I finally found you!

  • franklinberke <franklinberke@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 23, 2002
      Seasons Greetings Fellow Search Fans; I am very glad I finally found
      you!

      From the looks of your mail archive, you've been around since the end
      of 98. I am a bit slow on the uptake since I didn't even begin my
      search for sites like yours till about six months ago when it finally
      dawned upon me that when they say, "everything can be found on the
      Internet." it doesn't only mean contemporary things.

      I began searching via Google trying to find web sites dedicated to
      all the old beloved adventure shows I was weaned on.

      Man From Uncle
      Secret Agent
      Wild Wild West
      I Spy
      Avengers
      The Saint
      Mission Impossible
      Mannix
      Six Million Dollar Man

      I had success with all of them except for "Search".

      Luckily last week I took another stab at it by searching for all the
      leading men's names "Hugh+Obrien+Doug+Mcclure+Tony+Franciosa". I hit
      on two of the e-mails on the "probecontrol.com" site.

      As I said in the beginning, I am glad I finally found you.

      I have quickly combed through all the e-mail trying to get a sense of
      what has been going on, and I am amazed by what you have been able to
      accomplish given the original modest size of the membership.

      Jim Alexander's meeting with Hugh O'Brian was particularly
      fantastic. I enjoyed reading about his good fortune, and Jim, if you
      happen to read this post, thanks for sharing the experience.

      Given the other fan sites on the web, I knew all of you Search fans
      were out there somewhere, but It was really frustrating considering
      that I didn't know how to find you. I am however amazed by how many
      of you were able remember details of episodes that you hadn't seen in
      decades.

      Long ago I taped the series pilot when they repeated it on channel 11
      in New York. Mine isn't a very good copy as I only had rabbit-ear
      reception at the time. In fact, mention of the pilot being available
      from Movies-Unlimited, in one of the past e-mails, prompted me to
      order a copy a few minutes ago. Even though I had an old copy on
      tape, I still had to watch it again the last time it was repeated on
      TV many years ago.

      I have always harbored a longing for its return and always felt it
      was just a matter of time before I would see it again, since almost
      every other old series has managed to make a comeback in one way or
      another.

      However, my excitement only grew when I read that you have almost all
      the episodes in various form and quality.

      I would greatly appreciate it if someone could e-mail me a list of
      what you have and what media type it is in. My interest of course is
      in acquiring a copy. As I understand it there have been tapes and
      VCDs made along the way and most recently you were able to get very
      good copies from Australia. Please let me know in what form it is
      available and how much it will cost if it is indeed possible to get a
      copy of the episodes.

      By the way since there are so many members with good memories, I
      wanted to know If my recollection is correct with regard to another
      program that I believe was aired back to back with "Search" when it
      was broadcast in New York. I seem to recall a series with Bill Bixby
      that I think was called "The Magician". If anyone can recall it,
      please let me know.

      Lastly, I wanted to mention that I noticed several postings that
      mention DVD. I attempted to first try transferring some VHS tape TV
      footage to a DVD via my computer, but most of my attempts were less
      than satisfactory. However I recently came across advertisements for
      DVD Recorders, and purchased a Panasonic DVD Recorder Model DMR-HS2 –
      you can see the various specs and reviews for it if you search the
      web. One of the unit's touted features is the ability to make high
      quality recordings to DVD-RAM and DVD-R; The DVD-R is supposed to
      play on various DVD players once it is put through the
      unit's "Finalize" process. 1 hour per DVD at the highest quality and
      2 hours per DVD at the next lowest quality.

      I am pretty much a laymen when it comes to video, but I'll pass along
      my experience for anyone who is interested once I have a chance to
      evaluate the machine and the quality of the recordings that it
      produces. I was thinking that DVD might be the next medium to be
      used to preserve the copy of the episodes that members of the group
      now have. That is what I am hoping to do with the large number of
      video tapes that I presently have.

      Happy Holidays!
    • Marta Dawes
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 23, 2002
        Welcome, Franklin! I remember "The Magician" very well. I watched it
        for the short time it was on, and loved it; I've always had a thing for
        Bill Bixby. That's another show I'd love to see a few episodes of
        again.

        Marta

        http://www.steveandmarta.com

        Home of
        "The Graveyards of Omaha"
        and
        "The New Twilight Zone" (Read about the TZ Con!)
        websites

        as well as
        "Memories of the Indian Hills Theatre in Omaha, Nebraska"
        The last round Super-Cinerama theatre in the world
        Demolished August 20, 2001 for absolutely no reason by Methodist Health
        Systems

        Sign the Petition to protest the demolition of the Indian Hills Online!
        http://www.PetitionOnline.com/steve/petition.html

        Call Stephen Long, CEO of Methodist, at 402-354-4000 and tell him the
        theatre should have been reopened as a working film venue.

        Email comments@..., Methodist's website, and tell them the
        theatre should have been saved, and pass the email address and phone
        number on to everyone you know!

        And ---
        Join the Indian Hills and Cinerama and Widescreen Discussion Group
        http://www.egroups.com/group/cinerama_widescreen_movies

> [...]

        DVD Recorders, and purchased a Panasonic DVD Recorder Model DMR-HS2 -
        you can see the various specs and reviews for it if you search the
        web. One of the unit's touted features is the ability to make high
        quality recordings to DVD-RAM and DVD-R; The DVD-R is supposed to
        play on various DVD players once it is put through the
        unit's "Finalize" process. 1 hour per DVD at the highest quality and
        2 hours per DVD at the next lowest quality.

        I am pretty much a laymen when it comes to video, but I'll pass along
        my experience for anyone who is interested once I have a chance to
        evaluate the machine and the quality of the recordings that it
        produces. I was thinking that DVD might be the next medium to be
        used to preserve the copy of the episodes that members of the group
        now have. That is what I am hoping to do with the large number of

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Martin Parrott
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 23, 2002
          Welcome! I too just found this group a little over a month ago. The people
          here are great and very helpful.

          I remember The Magician with found memories. Bill Bixby has always been one
          of my old time favorites. I even admit to enjoying The Hulk series :).

          I just received my pre-recorded pilot tape from MoviesUnlimited. It was
          back-ordered for a long time. Hopefully you will get yours soon.

          I also just received copies of the episodes from Jim and Don, also on this
          list. All but one are VHS and one is a VCD. Once Christmas arrives I plan to
          use some of the equipment I am getting to dub all the VHS copies to my
          computer and burn them to VCD format. I am sure they will be glad to help
          you out if you want copies as well. If all goes well with my dubbing
          process, I would be glad to make VCD copies available as well. Let me know
          if you are interested.

          Have a great Holiday and again, welcome!
          Martin Parrott
          Seasons Greetings Fellow Search Fans; I am very glad I finally found
          you!

          From the looks of your mail archive, you've been around since the end

        • dghprobe3 <dghprobe3@aol.com>
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 23, 2002
            --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "franklinberke" wrote:
            > ...recently came across advertisements for DVD Recorders, and
            > purchased a Panasonic DVD Recorder Model DMR-HS2 – you can see the
            > various specs and reviews for it if you search the web...

            Hi and welcome aboard: I've also been looking at various DVD
            recorders and have noticed that some of the prices have been steadily
            dropping. If the price continues to go down after Christmas, I may
            go ahead and buy one of these units, but I want to do some more
            research before I do.

            I'm concerned with compatibility with other DVD players. I don't
            want to get just any DVD recorder and find that the discs I make will
            not work on other players, etc.

            I don't like having my computer tied up with burning DVDs, so the
            standalone unit looks like the next best option, especially if they
            include their own built-in editing tools, etc. It would be nice if
            we could make clean DVDs of these newer Search tapes we have. If the
            editing tools make it possible, we could repair Trevor's "Adonis
            File" missing portions with Russo's version and make a more complete
            rendition of the episode. Trevor's "Midas" is missing the closing
            credits, but we could edit in Russo's version, etc.

            If the editing tools allow it, we could also have an alternate audio
            track over some of the closing credits. We could add the original Ed
            McMahon voiceovers from our/my old NBC audio tapes of Search, that
            sort of thing.

            We could also add extras to some of the DVDs, such as combine Jim
            Alexander's "wild" audio of his meeting with Hugh O'Brian with the
            photos he posted a while back.

            We could add a slideshow sort of thing, composed of various filmclip
            scans. We could run music or a voice narration with this, similar to
            some of the articles I've been posting in recent months.

            If anyone else has any ideas for DVD extras for Search, pass it
            along. We might be able to try it.

            --Don H.
          • madelow <greendean@mchsi.com>
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 24, 2002
              <franklinberke@y...>" <franklinberke@y...> wrote:
> [...]
              > web. One of the unit's touted features is the ability to make high
              > quality recordings to DVD-RAM and DVD-R; The DVD-R is supposed to
              > play on various DVD players once it is put through the
              > unit's "Finalize" process. 1 hour per DVD at the highest quality
              and
              > 2 hours per DVD at the next lowest quality.
              >
              > I am pretty much a laymen when it comes to video, but I'll pass
              along
              > my experience for anyone who is interested once I have a chance to
              > evaluate the machine and the quality of the recordings that it
              > produces. I was thinking that DVD might be the next medium to be
              > used to preserve the copy of the episodes that members of the group
              > now have. That is what I am hoping to do with the large number of
              > video tapes that I presently have.
              >
              > Happy Holidays! Franklin-- Welcome fellow "Search" fan. I'mnew
              tothis site also, but guarantee youwill enjoy it here. A friendly
              group, who enjoy the adventure series you mentioned. Feelfree to
              participate in all the discussions. Again, Welcome. Chris.
            • offworld2001 <moff@powerup.com.au>
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
                --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "dghprobe3 <dghprobe3@a...>"
                <dghprobe3@a...> wrote:

                > I'm concerned with compatibility with other DVD players. I don't
                > want to get just any DVD recorder and find that the discs I make
                will
                > not work on other players, etc.

                I have been looking at the DVD writers here in Australia too Don,
                and have to be a bit confused about the DVD+R/DVD-R debacle.
                Compatability with home DVD players is a BIG issue to contend with.
                Check http://www.dvdrhelp.com/ for more details.

                It would be nice if
                > we could make clean DVDs of these newer Search tapes we have.

                Definitely agree on this score. I have yet to obtain any of the dubs
                and wanted to know if the new cleaner dubs had been laid onto VCD?
                Certainly a more compatible, and cost effective option than DVD.

                > If anyone else has any ideas for DVD extras for Search, pass it
                > along. We might be able to try it.

                I would like to speak to somebody who has the up to date info on the
                best copies of the pilot and episodes available. If the VCD avenue
                has not been explored fully, I would like to go down that road, make
                the best copies that can be made, with reconstructions for missing
                credits etc as you mentioned and then make them available to group
                members. There are few home DVD players now that can't handle a VCD.

                With a view to that, could any group member with that information
                contact me privately by email (moff@...) and we'll see
                what we can do.

                On a related note, I have been in contact with the Seven Network
                here in Australia regarding the ultimate fate of the episode tapes
                that were used when Search was screened here in thew 70s. I
                certainly don't want to get anyones hopes up but they have this
                MAJOR storage shed in Melbourne and apparently older film and tape
                goes in there for archiving if I hjave been supplied accurate
                information. I will be pursuing this avenue in the hopes that copies
                might still exist and tapes can be duplicated or we can even get
                Search back on the Air over here!

                Cheers
                Bruce Moffatt
                moff@...