Hello Probe Fans

  • madelow
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2002
      Hello fellow Probe fans-- Have previously posted e-mails to
      Jim.Justfound the generalmessage list. Thrilled tofind a website
      for"Search"! Enjoyed the "high"-tech feel of the series, plus the
      performances of three old friends in the leads. Had previously
      watched Hugh in "Wyatt Earp", Doug in "The Virginian", & Tony
      in "Name of the Game". Thought at the time that "Search" came the
      closest to capturing the feel of the James Bond films in a
      television series. Hard tobelieve so many people were fans. Excited
      by the possibility of tape dubs allowing me to experience the thrill
      again. Look forward to meeting all of you! Best, Chris.
    • dmanmetz@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2002
        Hello gang and a special hello to all of the new members. I haven't put anything out in a while but I thought this might be intresting. I just bought a book named James Bond: The Legacy by John Cork and Bruce Scivally. It is a detailed behind the scenes book on all of the James Bond movies. Cutting to the chase, the book makes referance to SEARCH on page 144. Here is the direct quote from the book.

        "There were some who felt that even Majesty's box office numbers were ambitious for a Bond film without Sean Connery. They pointed out that two new Bond style television series- SEARCH and The Men- were running in the US in 1972, and neither gathered high ratings."

        In the book they were refering to how maybe the spy genere was dying and they mention our favorite program. Hey they REMEMBERED SEARCH! (LOL) Of course in the end, they decided to go with Roger Moore and make "Live and Let Die" and he became the JB for the 70's and early 80's. By the way, the new film is excellent. Does anybody remember The Men? Wasn't that with Robert Conrade? I remembered him in a James Bond style series me my brother use to watch in 1979 titled "A man called Sloan" which ran on NBC on friday nights. Anybody remember that one? Well just thought I would share that with everyone. Goodbye gang.

        Chris
      • madelow <greendean@mchsi.com>
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2002
          --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, dmanmetz@a... wrote:
          > Hello gang and a special hello to all of the new members. I
          haven't put anything out in a while but I thought this might be
          intresting. I just bought a book named James Bond: The Legacy by John
          Cork and Bruce Scivally. It is a detailed behind the scenes book on
          all of the James Bond movies. Cutting to the chase, the book makes
          referance to SEARCH on page 144. Here is the direct quote from the
          book.

          > "There were some who felt that even Majesty's box office numbers
          were ambitious for a Bond film without Sean Connery. They pointed out
          that two new Bond style television series- SEARCH and The Men- were
          running in the US in 1972, and neither gathered high ratings."

          > In the book they were refering to how maybe the spy genere was
          dying and they mention our favorite program. Hey they REMEMBERED
          SEARCH! (LOL) Of course in the end, they decided to go with Roger
          Moore and make "Live and Let Die" and he became the JB for the 70's
          and early 80's. By the way, the new film is excellent. Does anybody
          remember The Men? Wasn't that with Robert Conrade? I remembered him
          in a James Bond style series me my brother use to watch in 1979
          titled "A man called Sloan" which ran on NBC on friday nights.
          Anybody remember that one? Well just thought I would share that with
          everyone. Goodbye gang.
          > Chris-- Thanks for your post. Great to hear SEARCH made the book,
          even as evidence of a dying genre. Conrad's series was "Assignment
          Vienna". It alternated withJames Wainwright's "Jigsaw", and Lawrence
          Luckinbill's "DelphiBureau".Haven't had the chance to see DAD yet,
          but await it anxiously. Will alsocheck for the new Bond book. Thanks
          again! Madelow.
        • yorktowncmdr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 30, 2002
            >> "There were some who felt that even Majesty's box office numbers were
            >> ambitious for a Bond film without Sean Connery. They pointed out that two
            new >> Bond style television series- SEARCH and The Men- were running in the
            US in >> 1972, and neither gathered high ratings."

            >> In the book they were refering to how maybe the spy genere was dying and
            they >> mention our favorite program. Hey they REMEMBERED SEARCH! (LOL)

            Reflecting on the above the spy and espionage genre was a dying style. Once
            again I would attribute the fallout of the Watergate scandal as neutralizing
            the
            viewers' interest. Of course, that was not the only factor. Although SEARCH
            last aired in August 1973 something else was coming along to sustain the
            interest in the genre on American television: The Six Million Dollar Man
            starring Lee Majors.

            >> Of course in the end, they decided to go with Roger Moore and make "Live
            and >> Let Die" and he became the JB for the 70's and early 80's. By the
            way, the new >> film is excellent. Does anybody remember The Men? Wasn't
            that with Robert
            >> Conrade? I remembered him in a James Bond style series me my brother use
            to >> watch in 1979 titled "A man called Sloan" which ran on NBC on friday
            nights.
            >> Anybody remember that one? Well just thought I would share that with
            >> everyone. Goodbye gang.

            I don't have any recollection of The Men. Robert Conrad made repeated
            attempts throughout the '70s for a TV series. His best attempt was Baa Baa
            Blacksheep as Greg Boyington. Lamentably, I remember the short-lived NBC
            series A Man Called Sloane. I'll use the words from a Starlog interview when
            Conrad was asked about it which is as follows:

            "It was a terrible show," snaps Conrad. End of subject. [Starlog's print]

            I'll let that matter rest as stated above.

            David