Those blankety- blank viruses and such

  • Skip Brown
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2002
      Same with me Mark.

      I use Microsoft Outlook (Full) and it didn't even show any attachments.
      I even looked at the source code and there was nothing there, except for
      some "interesting" information about the sender.
      BTW, I think it was JC who didn't know which email it was. It was called
      "Disk CD" from a sender who tried to ghost their identity as
      probecontrol (without the line between the words).

      Also, JC thanks for the sharing with the group about the way some
      programmers try to hide their viruses. They use extensions like exe,
      pif, doc, or even zip to sneak their virus out on "ordinary" emails.
      Most of the time, like you said, you may see an attachment for picture
      and think its okay. But your mail program may be ignoring those extra
      characters on the end. Some have even gone so far as to write something
      like myphoto.gif........html
      A file like that can take you to a web site that sends malicious script
      files into your computer.

      I know all of this may sound terribly off subject, but it is a wise
      precaution to consider that it can happen to any of us. At one time, I
      thought I was invulnerable to internet viruses, until I got one and it
      practically rewrote my whole hard drive. Now I am a banner waving
      advocate of good virus protection and personal firewalls.

      Be safe. Use protection.
      (Does that sound too much like a condom ad? Sorry!!!!)

      Skip