Re: [probe_control] Re: A possible virus

  • don
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2002
      Here is a link with all the info you need about the Win32.Klez.H@mm virus,
      which includes a link for a free removal tool if you think you might have
      it.

      http://www.idiclear.net/kleztips.php

      Here is an excerpt from the site:

      Klez Virus Safety Tips

      ----
      Win32.Klez.H@mm is a new version of the original Win32.Klez.E@mm virus. Klez
      is a mass-mailing worm that comes as an attached file in an email and
      searches the Windows address book for new target email addresses.

      Name: Win32.Klez.H@mm
      Type: Executable Internet-Worm
      Discovered: April 17, 2002
      Spreading: High
      Damage: Low
      Risk Group: Anyone using
      Internet Explorer 5.01 or 5.5

      A copy of Klez is then sent to every address that it finds. The worm uses
      its own outgoing mail server engine to send the messages. The worm attempts
      to execute itself when you open or even preview infected message. Klez also
      attempts to copy itself to all network shared drives that it finds.

      The subject and attachment name of incoming emails is randomly chosen. The
      attachment will have one of the following extensions: .bat, .exe, .pif or
      .scr.

      Klez exploits a vulnerability in Microsoft Internet Explorer which Microsoft
      Outlook and Outlook Express uses to display HTML embedded email messages.
      -----

      Don-2
    • Skip Brown
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2002
        Same with me Mark.

        I use Microsoft Outlook (Full) and it didn't even show any attachments.
        I even looked at the source code and there was nothing there, except for
        some "interesting" information about the sender.
        BTW, I think it was JC who didn't know which email it was. It was called
        "Disk CD" from a sender who tried to ghost their identity as
        probecontrol (without the line between the words).

        Also, JC thanks for the sharing with the group about the way some
        programmers try to hide their viruses. They use extensions like exe,
        pif, doc, or even zip to sneak their virus out on "ordinary" emails.
        Most of the time, like you said, you may see an attachment for picture
        and think its okay. But your mail program may be ignoring those extra
        characters on the end. Some have even gone so far as to write something
        like myphoto.gif........html
        A file like that can take you to a web site that sends malicious script
        files into your computer.

        I know all of this may sound terribly off subject, but it is a wise
        precaution to consider that it can happen to any of us. At one time, I
        thought I was invulnerable to internet viruses, until I got one and it
        practically rewrote my whole hard drive. Now I am a banner waving
        advocate of good virus protection and personal firewalls.

        Be safe. Use protection.
        (Does that sound too much like a condom ad? Sorry!!!!)

        Skip