on 1994 post & on filmclips

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2002
      --- In probe_control@y..., "Anthony Troiano" wrote:
      > Don, I tend to agree with what you and others have said...and may
      be able to help answer the question(s) regarding background.
      > Hopefully I'll get the time, it's likely to be a fairly lengthy
      post.

      Hi Anthony: Welcome to our humble group. Yes, indeed, if you have
      any special information on SEARCH, please pass it along. Thanks.

      By the way, I just received some SEARCH filmclips from list member
      Bob Greenberger. They are pretty much similar to scenes we already
      have, however, there are a few gems, such as a new Kuroda blooper
      scene. Have started scanning some of them, will probably post a
      preview of a few of the more interesting ones in the Files section
      shortly. Stay tuned. :-)

      --Don H.
    • Anthony Troiano
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 11, 2002
        --- In probe_control@y..., "dghprobe3" <dghprobe3@a...> wrote:

        > Hi Anthony: Welcome to our humble group.

        I've been here awhile, though haven't posted very often. ;)

        > Yes, indeed, if you have
        > any special information on SEARCH, please pass it along. Thanks.

        The "special info" was more on "Mr. Eddore," since some had been
        curious about him, than directly on SEARCH. Please stand by.

        Anthony
        fusillade2000@...
      • Anthony Troiano
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 11, 2002
          --- In probe_control@y..., "dghprobe3" <dghprobe3@a...> wrote:
          > Thanks for your post, and good points. Who knows where
          > this
          > fellow was coming from? He insinuates an inside connection to the
          > show, but gets more facts wrong than right. It
          > reminds me of the quote "a little knowledge is dangerous." Or as
          > Barry Morse likes to say, "Hollywood is full of people who know the
          > price of everything but the value of nothing."

          Re: "coming from," "insinuates an inside connection," "gets more
          facts wrong," "little knowledge" etc: this was likely a very apt
          description (without dghprobe3's even knowing anything more!)
          of "Gharlane of Eddore." See below.

          > The thing that tickles me most is his criticism of Stevens' scripts
          > as "middle-aged macho cutesiness." It's an apt description of his
          > entire article, wouldn't you say?

          "Middle-aged macho": oh yes, absolutely! Following, for those
          interested, is an overview.

          Gharlane of Eddore was a Net presence (some would say, with
          justification, "troll") for some years (circa. early 1990's-2001).
          He got the Net handle "G of E" from a character of legendary
          author "Doc" Smith's (who had apparently given permission for said
          use). His chief activity was posting on Usenet science fiction boards
          and (usually) "flaming" science fiction (or at least science fiction-
          oriented) series/films, misdirecting posts (to alt.dev.null) under
          this pseudonym (he said he used the pseudonym to supposedly maintain
          privacy but I always had doubts about that...he did at least as much
          harassing as he was himself harassed). Allegedly he was an engineer
          who flamed these productions for (besides acting, writing faults)
          their lack of "technical accuracy."

          Among those (many) he disliked: STAR TREK (in most of its various
          forms), BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, EARTH 2, SEAQUEST (this was where I
          locked horns with him, as follows), SEARCH (as you've seen) etc. etc.
          BABYLON 5 he loved, though there was surely no great use of accurate
          engineering/scientific technology there. Of course, he got into
          (indeed, initiated) many flamewars over the years with the fans of
          these shows...SEARCH (which never even claimed to be science fiction,
          though that didn't stop him) was probably one of his lesser flames,
          if only because (due to its short run) there weren't at that time
          many fans on the Net with (SEARCH) opinions to counter his.

          This writer actually (first) encountered him on a SEAQUEST board,
          he was there criticizing the series ad nauseum and, being a fan of
          some aspects of it, I decided to join in combat. It really didn't
          amount to much for a "Gharlane war," just a few posts back and forth
          and (the series being cancelled about this time) we both got tired of
          it. Many "scifi" fans on the Net have had more detailed stories about
          him.

          His problem IMO was that he was a frustrated writer/producer of
          science fiction. Not being able to get anything of his own on the
          air/on the screen, he instead contented himself with attempting
          to "tear down" the work(s) of many of those who were more successful:
          Leslie Stevens, Roddenberry, Glen Larson and so on. Whether there
          works were good, mediocre or bad...I don't think it really mattered
          to G of E. Supposedly he was himself an author...Well, I've never
          heard of anything he actually wrote (and I've read a great deal of
          science fiction, certainly he wasn't a literary "name" of any note).

          Sort of like Howard Cosell: he had enough knowledge to make what
          he said seemingly worth reading but was also so much lacking in
          knowledge (i.e. he didn't know, or forgot, of Tony Franciosa's
          involvement in SEARCH and got plots/titles wrong) that his criticisms
          often blew up in his face. He would often take on the persona of
          an "insider" "expert" in the entertainment industry (when he wasn't
          pretending to be a "living brain"), even if he really wasn't, and
          using the pseudonym made it difficult to disprove (or prove, for that
          matter) his claims of "expertise".

          Anyway, last I had heard of Gharlane circa. 1997-98 he was in
          another flamewar, this time B5 (his side) vs. ST:DS9. A DS9
          writer/producer, Robert Hewitt Wolfe, had journeyed to a science
          fiction board and G o E (and some other B5 fans) of course started
          flaming him (I say "flaming" because their postings IMO went beyond
          the realm of constructive criticism, though I wasn't personally
          participating...just reading). Their basic complaint was that, in
          their view, DS9 wasn't B5...or perhaps rather, again in their view,
          that it was a bad copy of it. A group of Trek fans, being legion in
          number and subscribing to "two wrongs make a right," then IIRC flamed
          G o E in turn by flooding his mailbox with pro-Trek (or at least pro-
          DS9), anti-B5 posts. G o E then basically threw up his hands...I do
          seem to recall (I was heading off the Net at that point for what
          turned out to be a few years) he did develop some grudging respect
          for Mr. Wolfe.

          After those few years away, I got back on the Net in 2001. Usenet
          had pretty much declined (due to spam) by that time IMO but I heard
          news elsewhere, eventually, of G o E's death. His name was David
          Potter and he was about 54 years of age. Thus endeth the Gharlane of
          Eddore saga, you can get even more information if you so desire by
          doing a "Gharlane of Eddore" SEARCH (neat word, huh?).

          Anthony
          fusillade2000@...
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 11, 2002
            --- In probe_control@y..., "Anthony Troiano" wrote:
            > Gharlane of Eddore was a Net presence (some would say, with
            > justification, "troll") for some years (circa. early 1990's-2001).

            Hello Anthony: Thank you for sharing that information with us. Very
            interesting indeed. Too bad we couldn't have set the poor lad
            straight about SEARCH before he passed on. That's how it goes, I
            suppose. :-)