Re: 1994 Newsgroup post on Probe/Search

  • Anthony Troiano
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 9, 2002
      --- In probe_control@y..., "dghprobe3" <dghprobe3@a...> wrote:
      > Hi Paul: Thanks for your post, and good points. Who knows where
      > this
      > fellow was coming from? He insinuates an inside connection to the
      > show, but gets more facts wrong than right. The other problem is,
      > this happens all the time with every subject under the sun. It
      > reminds me of the quote "a little knowledge is dangerous." Or as
      > Barry Morse likes to say, "Hollywood is full of people who know the
      > price of everything but the value of nothing."

      > The thing that tickles me most is his criticism of Stevens' scripts
      > as "middle-aged macho cutesiness." It's an apt description of his
      > entire article, wouldn't you say?
      >
      > --Don H.

      Don, I tend to agree with what you and others have said...and may
      be able to help answer the question(s) regarding background.
      Hopefully I'll get the time, it's likely to be a fairly lengthy post.

      Anthony
      fusillade2000@...
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 10, 2002
        --- In probe_control@y..., "Anthony Troiano" wrote:
        > Don, I tend to agree with what you and others have said...and may
        be able to help answer the question(s) regarding background.
        > Hopefully I'll get the time, it's likely to be a fairly lengthy
        post.

        Hi Anthony: Welcome to our humble group. Yes, indeed, if you have
        any special information on SEARCH, please pass it along. Thanks.

        By the way, I just received some SEARCH filmclips from list member
        Bob Greenberger. They are pretty much similar to scenes we already
        have, however, there are a few gems, such as a new Kuroda blooper
        scene. Have started scanning some of them, will probably post a
        preview of a few of the more interesting ones in the Files section
        shortly. Stay tuned. :-)

        --Don H.
      • Anthony Troiano
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 11, 2002
          --- In probe_control@y..., "dghprobe3" <dghprobe3@a...> wrote:

          > Hi Anthony: Welcome to our humble group.

          I've been here awhile, though haven't posted very often. ;)

          > Yes, indeed, if you have
          > any special information on SEARCH, please pass it along. Thanks.

          The "special info" was more on "Mr. Eddore," since some had been
          curious about him, than directly on SEARCH. Please stand by.

          Anthony
          fusillade2000@...
        • Anthony Troiano
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 11, 2002
            --- In probe_control@y..., "dghprobe3" <dghprobe3@a...> wrote:
            > Thanks for your post, and good points. Who knows where
            > this
            > fellow was coming from? He insinuates an inside connection to the
            > show, but gets more facts wrong than right. It
            > reminds me of the quote "a little knowledge is dangerous." Or as
            > Barry Morse likes to say, "Hollywood is full of people who know the
            > price of everything but the value of nothing."

            Re: "coming from," "insinuates an inside connection," "gets more
            facts wrong," "little knowledge" etc: this was likely a very apt
            description (without dghprobe3's even knowing anything more!)
            of "Gharlane of Eddore." See below.

            > The thing that tickles me most is his criticism of Stevens' scripts
            > as "middle-aged macho cutesiness." It's an apt description of his
            > entire article, wouldn't you say?

            "Middle-aged macho": oh yes, absolutely! Following, for those
            interested, is an overview.

            Gharlane of Eddore was a Net presence (some would say, with
            justification, "troll") for some years (circa. early 1990's-2001).
            He got the Net handle "G of E" from a character of legendary
            author "Doc" Smith's (who had apparently given permission for said
            use). His chief activity was posting on Usenet science fiction boards
            and (usually) "flaming" science fiction (or at least science fiction-
            oriented) series/films, misdirecting posts (to alt.dev.null) under
            this pseudonym (he said he used the pseudonym to supposedly maintain
            privacy but I always had doubts about that...he did at least as much
            harassing as he was himself harassed). Allegedly he was an engineer
            who flamed these productions for (besides acting, writing faults)
            their lack of "technical accuracy."

            Among those (many) he disliked: STAR TREK (in most of its various
            forms), BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, EARTH 2, SEAQUEST (this was where I
            locked horns with him, as follows), SEARCH (as you've seen) etc. etc.
            BABYLON 5 he loved, though there was surely no great use of accurate
            engineering/scientific technology there. Of course, he got into
            (indeed, initiated) many flamewars over the years with the fans of
            these shows...SEARCH (which never even claimed to be science fiction,
            though that didn't stop him) was probably one of his lesser flames,
            if only because (due to its short run) there weren't at that time
            many fans on the Net with (SEARCH) opinions to counter his.

            This writer actually (first) encountered him on a SEAQUEST board,
            he was there criticizing the series ad nauseum and, being a fan of
            some aspects of it, I decided to join in combat. It really didn't
            amount to much for a "Gharlane war," just a few posts back and forth
            and (the series being cancelled about this time) we both got tired of
            it. Many "scifi" fans on the Net have had more detailed stories about
            him.

            His problem IMO was that he was a frustrated writer/producer of
            science fiction. Not being able to get anything of his own on the
            air/on the screen, he instead contented himself with attempting
            to "tear down" the work(s) of many of those who were more successful:
            Leslie Stevens, Roddenberry, Glen Larson and so on. Whether there
            works were good, mediocre or bad...I don't think it really mattered
            to G of E. Supposedly he was himself an author...Well, I've never
            heard of anything he actually wrote (and I've read a great deal of
            science fiction, certainly he wasn't a literary "name" of any note).

            Sort of like Howard Cosell: he had enough knowledge to make what
            he said seemingly worth reading but was also so much lacking in
            knowledge (i.e. he didn't know, or forgot, of Tony Franciosa's
            involvement in SEARCH and got plots/titles wrong) that his criticisms
            often blew up in his face. He would often take on the persona of
            an "insider" "expert" in the entertainment industry (when he wasn't
            pretending to be a "living brain"), even if he really wasn't, and
            using the pseudonym made it difficult to disprove (or prove, for that
            matter) his claims of "expertise".

            Anyway, last I had heard of Gharlane circa. 1997-98 he was in
            another flamewar, this time B5 (his side) vs. ST:DS9. A DS9
            writer/producer, Robert Hewitt Wolfe, had journeyed to a science
            fiction board and G o E (and some other B5 fans) of course started
            flaming him (I say "flaming" because their postings IMO went beyond
            the realm of constructive criticism, though I wasn't personally
            participating...just reading). Their basic complaint was that, in
            their view, DS9 wasn't B5...or perhaps rather, again in their view,
            that it was a bad copy of it. A group of Trek fans, being legion in
            number and subscribing to "two wrongs make a right," then IIRC flamed
            G o E in turn by flooding his mailbox with pro-Trek (or at least pro-
            DS9), anti-B5 posts. G o E then basically threw up his hands...I do
            seem to recall (I was heading off the Net at that point for what
            turned out to be a few years) he did develop some grudging respect
            for Mr. Wolfe.

            After those few years away, I got back on the Net in 2001. Usenet
            had pretty much declined (due to spam) by that time IMO but I heard
            news elsewhere, eventually, of G o E's death. His name was David
            Potter and he was about 54 years of age. Thus endeth the Gharlane of
            Eddore saga, you can get even more information if you so desire by
            doing a "Gharlane of Eddore" SEARCH (neat word, huh?).

            Anthony
            fusillade2000@...
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 11, 2002
              --- In probe_control@y..., "Anthony Troiano" wrote:
              > Gharlane of Eddore was a Net presence (some would say, with
              > justification, "troll") for some years (circa. early 1990's-2001).

              Hello Anthony: Thank you for sharing that information with us. Very
              interesting indeed. Too bad we couldn't have set the poor lad
              straight about SEARCH before he passed on. That's how it goes, I
              suppose. :-)