surveillance is as old as the hills

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11, 2002
      Hello everyone
      Hello Don
      I think you'd find contemporary references in a lot of series of that time
      period. In 'Search's case it's more a case of reminding people that it was
      happening in the there & now as opposed to in the future. When you consider
      how many reviewers noted it as a 'futuristic series', I suspect Leslie
      Stevens thought that might be the case from the start & made sure it was
      played in the present with all those references.
      One thing for sure, he & his writers were totally ignorant about Britain.
      We don't pay tax separately when buying things. Even when VAT was introduced
      years later, it's added as the combined price. Neither can people outside of
      the police force or security forces get a warrant to search someone's
      premises either.

      Hello Yorktown (your parents liked aircraft carriers??)
      Re: Jeff Corey. McCarthyism is right up there with prohibition where
      opinion versus human nature doesn't get a balanced outlook. Hopefully, it's
      probably why your country's Bible Belt isn't going to get too strong a hold
      (hopefully).

      Re: Watergate. Black Bag operations have always been carried out usually
      with the country's interests at heart rather than for personal gain. What
      made Watergate significant was a president using it to ensure he had an edge
      in an election.
      'Search' really only had their Probes bugged. Except for rare exceptions,
      they didn't leave their scanners after they left. If the series was revived
      today, I think that aspect would be reconsidered. Incidentally, does anyone
      know how the law rules in private citizens dropping listening/video bugs
      these days?? Depending on circumstances, is it espionage or industrial
      espionage & what happens if the police or feds come after you??

      I remember seeing 'The Chairman' a few years back but the transmitter in
      Greg Peck's head wasn't for surveillance as I recall. Wasn't it linked to
      some sort of bomb??

      Hello Ken & Marta
      If you want to really go hunting surveillance, one only has to look at
      George Orwell's '1984'. He was a few years early in some respects. Saying
      that, the USSR had their own surveillance even if they didn't rely on
      cameras. Any totalitarian government will want to keep an eye on what its
      citizens are doing.
      No one really considered the use of some of these cameras to keep an eye
      out for street crime as most of it is being used today. Then again, 20 years
      ago no one thought crime would need such measures either.

      Gotta go
      Geoff Willmetts

      'SFCrowsnest.com PageRanked by Google as the 3rd most popular science
      fiction site on the Internet'

      Commissioning Editor: http://www.crowsnestbooks.com
      THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

      Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.com
      THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
      Quicker website access?? Try: http://www.computercrowsnestbooks.com

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 12, 2002
        --- In probe_control@y..., "Geoff Willmetts" wrote:
        > I think you'd find contemporary references in a lot of series of
        > that time period...

        Hi Geoff: Good to hear from you again. What really happened was
        that Actingman sent me a package of Trevor's episodes and asked for
        reactions. The post I made about topical references were a bunch of
        little things I noticed about some of the episodes that couldn't be
        tied together any other way. :-)

        Someone once pointed out that shows can be too topical. For
        example, "I Love Lucy" is still funny to new audiences today because
        the situations Lucy gets herself into are universal and timeless. On
        the other hand, some episodes of "All in the Family" have lost their
        initial punch because they are full of jokes about then-President
        Nixon, which new audiences today have trouble identifying with.

        Getting back to SEARCH: If anyone out there has a video dub of "Ends
        of the Earth," please let us know!

        --Don H.