When......?

  • tomatprobe
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 9, 2002
      When should we "celebrate" the 30th anniversary? In 1972 Feb.
      19th was on thursday. In 2002, its on a tuesday. So should I
      watch "Probe" on tuesday the 19th, or thursday the 21st? What will
      everyone else do?
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 9, 2002
        --- In probe_control@y..., "tomatprobe" <tomatprobe@a...> wrote:
        > When should we "celebrate" the 30th anniversary? In 1972 Feb.
        > 19th was on thursday. In 2002, its on a tuesday. So should I
        > watch "Probe" on tuesday the 19th, or thursday the 21st? What will
        > everyone else do?

        Tom: It might be a good idea for everyone to take a peek at the
        PROBE/SEARCH Pilot movie the night of Tuesday, Feb. 19th, then we
        arrange a chat or Instant Message session for Thursday night, Feb.
        21. That way we can cover the day of the week and the actual date.

        Then again, a lot of us didn't see the pilot when it first ran or was
        rerun by NBC. I didn't because my first NBC episode was "Flight to
        Nowhere" in Nov. of '72. Did anyone here catch the first NBC run or
        rerun of the pilot movie?
      • Marta Dawes
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 9, 2002
          I'm pretty sure I saw it in 1972; I was 15 at the time, and it made
          quite an impression on me.

          Marta

          > When should we "celebrate" the 30th anniversary? In 1972 Feb.
          > 19th was on thursday. In 2002, its on a tuesday. So should I
          > watch "Probe" on tuesday the 19th, or thursday the 21st? What will
          > everyone else do?

          Tom: It might be a good idea for everyone to take a peek at the
          PROBE/SEARCH Pilot movie the night of Tuesday, Feb. 19th, then we
          arrange a chat or Instant Message session for Thursday night, Feb.
          21. That way we can cover the day of the week and the actual date.

          Then again, a lot of us didn't see the pilot when it first ran or was
          rerun by NBC. I didn't because my first NBC episode was "Flight to
          Nowhere" in Nov. of '72. Did anyone here catch the first NBC run or
          rerun of the pilot movie?

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 9, 2002
            Did anyone here catch the first NBC run or rerun of the pilot movie?
            -----------------------------------
            I am quite pleased to say that I did.

            As a matter of fact, that's why I was GOOD AND READY with my cassette deck when they rebroadcast it a few months (?) later (and Don has my audiocassette proof).  ;)

            Have we determined that the first airing was in a 2-hour time slot, and that the second was in a 90-minute timeslot?  That is my recollection.

            As an avid Trekker, I can't claim that I was there for all of the original classic STAR TREK episodes (the only one I vividly remember seeing on NBC was "All Our Yesterdays")... but I WAS there for SEARCH!

            Jim Alexander
          • Jack Bagley
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 10, 2002
              Jim...

              The dubs arrived Friday! What a wonderful weekend
              I've had, watching those great episodes!! Thanks so
              much!!!

              Jack

              Check out the best in independent novels at Fine Line
              Publishing:
              http://www.Fine-Linepc.com/AC.html
              http://www.Fine-Linepc.com/TWLB.html

              http://greetings.yahoo.com
            • crayresearch2001
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 10, 2002
                --- In probe_control@y..., "dghprobe3" <dghprobe3@a...> wrote:

                > Did anyone here catch the first NBC run or
                > rerun of the pilot movie?

                I saw the first run of Probe on TV because, as I remember it, it was
                somewhat hyped beforehand, and I didn't want to miss it. Somewhere in
                some vault there must be the original Probe Pilot teasers.

                Don-2
              • observer345
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 10, 2002
                  --- In probe_control@y..., "dghprobe3" <dghprobe3@a...> wrote:
                  > --- In probe_control@y..., "tomatprobe" <tomatprobe@a...> wrote:
                  > > When should we "celebrate" the 30th anniversary? In 1972 Feb.
                  > > 19th was on thursday. In 2002, its on a tuesday. So should I
                  > > watch "Probe" on tuesday the 19th, or thursday the 21st? What
                  will
                  > > everyone else do?
                  >
                  > Tom: It might be a good idea for everyone to take a peek at the
                  > PROBE/SEARCH Pilot movie the night of Tuesday, Feb. 19th, then we
                  > arrange a chat or Instant Message session for Thursday night, Feb.
                  > 21. That way we can cover the day of the week and the actual date.

                  Hmmm... I'll have to play the pilot tape that night, assuming I'm in
                  town. I might have to take a brief road trip then.

                  > Then again, a lot of us didn't see the pilot when it first ran or
                  was
                  > rerun by NBC. I didn't because my first NBC episode was "Flight to
                  > Nowhere" in Nov. of '72. Did anyone here catch the first NBC run
                  or
                  > rerun of the pilot movie?

                  As a matter of fact, I did. I saw the pilot when it's name was
                  Probe. I don't remember how I became aware of the series, but I'd
                  guess it was by TV promos; though I did read TV Guide thoroughly at
                  that time. By the time the second showing came around, and the
                  subsequent series, the name had been changed to Search. I remember
                  having a discussion with a classmate about it. I almost missed the
                  series premiere because of it.
                • Paul Browne
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 10, 2002
                    --- tomatprobe <tomatprobe@...> wrote:
                    > When should we "celebrate" the 30th
                    > anniversary? In 1972 Feb.
                    > 19th was on thursday. In 2002, its on a tuesday. So
                    > should I
                    > watch "Probe" on tuesday the 19th, or thursday the
                    > 21st? What will
                    > everyone else do?

                    Another idea, besides those mentioned, might be to
                    try getting an interview (not necessarily this week of
                    course ;) with either Hugh O'Brian or Tony Franciosa
                    on the subject. Now I don't know if either one of them
                    talks about anything these days, let alone SEARCH, but
                    it's an idea. For all I know, Starlog (which I haven't
                    read for years) or something similar has done it
                    already.

                    Oh and for those who don't know, which is likely no
                    one since afaik we were all around at the time, the
                    "rotating leads" format was iirc quite popular in late
                    1960's/early '70's television. Not just Franciosa and
                    the others on NAME OF THE GAME, there were other
                    examples: NBC MYSTERY MOVIE (both Sunday and
                    Wednesday), THE BOLD ONES, FOUR IN ONE...Thus some
                    television critics used "Name of the Bold Ones" as a
                    description for rotating leads. There were a couple of
                    attempts to revive the format circa. the late 1980's
                    (one even featuring a Columbo-and Kojak-revival) but
                    they were mostly unsuccessful.

                    Too bad two or even all three leads never worked
                    together on a case so we could see their similarities
                    and differences close up (yet another idea, which IMO
                    likely would have been featured had the series been
                    done a few years later, is probes who are either
                    female and/or of various nationalities...). Maybe if
                    the series had been popular enough, there would have
                    been a television or even theatrical film featuring
                    this...Oh well there's always fanfic...

                    Anthony

                    http://greetings.yahoo.com
                  • Bob Greenberger
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 11, 2002
                      Did anyone here catch the first NBC run or rerun of the pilot movie?

                      I remember watching the pilot on NBC prior to the TV series debuting, but was it first run (120 min.) or rerun (90 min.)?  Can't say.

                      Did catch all the episodes as it aired weekly, frustrated to see how Cannon of all series, trounced it thoroughly in the ratings.  I still recall enjoying "the wheel" concept of the show since I was an avid fan of The Name of the Game and the Sunday Mystery Movie.
                    • Bob Greenberger
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 11, 2002
                        Paul wrote: For all I know, Starlog (which I haven't
                        read for years) or something similar has done it
                        already.

                        I was supposed to write a Starlog piece on Probe way back in time.  Could never get ahold of Leslie Stevens and thought the piece wouldn't work without the creator's thoughts.

                        Some of the other TV fanzines like TV Log might have covered Search, but not to my knowledge.
                      • Paul Browne
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 11, 2002
                          --- Bob Greenberger <bobgreenberger@...>
                          wrote:
                          > Paul wrote: For all I know, Starlog (which I haven't
                          > read for years) or something similar has done it
                          > already.
                          >
                          > I was supposed to write a Starlog piece on Probe way
                          > back in time. Could never get ahold of Leslie
                          > Stevens and thought the piece wouldn't work without
                          > the creator's thoughts.

                          Too bad. I tended to dislike Starlog, for its
                          editorial policies rather than any of the writing,
                          but...If you're the same Bob Greenberger who used to
                          be the "continuity cop," iirc the title, for DC...you
                          could well have done the subject justice. Who knows,
                          maybe Doug McClure was still alive at the time and if
                          Franciosa and/or O'Brian were interested, besides
                          Leslie Stevens...would have been worthwhile. Oh well.

                          Anthony

                          http://greetings.yahoo.com
                        • Bob Greenberger
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 11, 2002
                            Anthony wrote: "If you're the same Bob Greenberger who used to
                            be the "continuity cop," iirc the title, for DC...you
                            could well have done the subject justice."

                            Yeah, that's me.  Haven't been at DC in two years, but spent a year at a dotcom and a year at Marvel.  Right now I'm between jobs but keeping my hand in here or there.  Maybe I'll see if Starlog is still interested in a little nostalgia.
                          • Jack Bagley
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 11, 2002
                              wrote:

                              > Yeah, that's me. Haven't been at DC in two years,
                              > but spent a year at a dotcom and a year at Marvel.
                              > Right now I'm between jobs but keeping my hand in
                              > here or there. Maybe I'll see if Starlog is still
                              > interested in a little nostalgia.

                              Maybe they'd be interested in our little nostalgia
                              group...

                              Jack

                              Check out the finest in independent science fiction