New Guys

  • tomatprobe
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2002
      I know I dont say much these days, I dont think I have the tech
      skills that a lot of you have. But I really enjoy reading what the
      new guys have to say. It seems the thing we all have most in common
      (other than Search) is that we all thought we were the only ones who
      remembered it! What an idea starting a webb group! Who thought of
      this?
      I can empathise (spelling?) with the guy who said he was walking
      around the play ground talking Probe Control...seems like I did that
      too, although I admit I didnt have the courage to tell anyone. There
      are so many New "Searchies" in the group that I cant keep up with
      them. If Star Trek fans call themselves Trekkies, what are Search
      fans called? Searchies?
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2002
        Hi Tom: Always good to hear from you. Yes, it was a surprise for me
        when I discovered the website and this mailing list back in Feb.
        2001. As to who started it all, it was John (actingman) and Bryan
        Durk. John or Bryan, could one of you backtrack a bit for us and
        give a "Reader's Digest" version of just how the two of you got this
        started? I think it was briefly discussed somewhere, but I can't
        find the post.

        As to "Trekkies," I think that started as a sort of put down by older
        sci-fi fans when Trek fandom was getting started, then journalists
        picked up on it and started referring to "Trekkie conventions." You
        see, years before Star Trek premiered in 1966, Science-Fiction fans
        had their own conventions. When Trek fandom started, the sci-fi fans
        perceived that Trek fans were "invading" their conventions. "Here
        come the damn Trekkies," as some of them lamented.

        What's funny is that years later, after the premiere of Star Wars,
        something called media fandom emerged. Trek fans began perceiving
        that media fans were "invading" their Trek conventions. "Here come
        the damn media fans," as some of them lamented. Sometimes things
        come around full circle.

        As for myself, I prefer "Star Trek fan" to "Trekkie" or the
        supposedly preferred "Trekker." Likewise, I'd prefer "Search fan"
        to "Searchie." But I guess we can call each other "Searchies" for
        fun.

        On a different note, I find that Kevin's SEARCH messageboard as well
        as the entirety of InsideTheWeb has been shut down:
        http://www.insidetheweb.com/messageboard/mbs.cgi/mb315284

        More later,

        Don
        =======================================
        --- In probe_control@y..., "tomatprobe" <tomatprobe@a...> wrote:
        > ...It seems the thing we all have most in common
        > (other than Search) is that we all thought we were the only ones
        > who remembered it! What an idea starting a web group! Who thought
        > of this?...
        > ...If Star Trek fans call themselves Trekkies, what are Search
        > fans called? Searchies?
      • Paul Browne
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2002
          --- dghprobe3 <dghprobe3@...> wrote:
          > Hi Tom: Always good to hear from you. Yes, it was
          > a surprise for me
          > when I discovered the website and this mailing list
          > back in Feb.
          > 2001.

          Yeah, it was kind of unusual to find the site. And
          yet, as I've said, Tony Franciosa (multiple awards and
          nominations) and Hugh O'Brian (of course the lead on
          the WYATT EARP series) were both well-known actors
          back in the day. Not so much now (I recall
          one-complimentary?-sketch Eddie Murphy did back in the
          '80's which mentioned TF), afaik they're both more or
          less retired...but both made "Current Biography"
          magazine. Even Doug McClure was well-regarded in the
          acting community, I can remember what I think was his
          last role circa. 1995 on KUNG FU: THE LEGEND
          CONTINUES...obviously ill but hanging in there to get
          the job done.

          As far as the SEARCH concept goes, it was IMO
          ahead of its time. Maybe sort like TRON. The idea of
          implants used as information "jacks" and so forth on
          the side of good (or evil, though I don't know, was
          this aspect was really discussed on the series..?) has
          often been brought up in recent years.

          > What's funny is that years later, after the premiere
          > of Star Wars,
          > something called media fandom emerged. Trek fans
          > began perceiving
          > that media fans were "invading" their Trek
          > conventions. "Here come
          > the damn media fans," as some of them lamented.
          > Sometimes things
          > come around full circle.

          Very true. A good thing to remember is that there
          have been likely millions of ST fans of one or more of
          the series who've never even been to one Trek
          convention.

          As far as SW goes, I only liked ESB of the four
          films out so far. Maybe the next one...Most SW fans
          are IMO okay, though the ones that camp out in front
          of a theatre in hopes of seeing a SW movie are
          bizarre...

          > As for myself, I prefer "Star Trek fan" to "Trekkie"
          > or the
          > supposedly preferred "Trekker."

          Sounds good to me...and I've watched ST since the
          first year of ST:TOS. Never could get into the
          "Trekkie" vs. "Trekker" business. "Irwin Allen fan,"
          "James Bond fan," "Dr. Who fan" and so forth make
          sense...even if some want to additionally give
          themselves some further designation.

          > Likewise, I'd
          > prefer "Search fan"
          > to "Searchie." But I guess we can call each other
          > "Searchies" for
          > fun.

          Again, sounds good to me. Of course, my SEARCH
          interest intersects somewhat with being a fan of Tony
          Franciosa (and his own fandom connects to some extent
          with that of, among others, Robert Stack in NAME OF
          THE GAME...if one really wants to push it).

          Anthony "attented exactly one ST-specific con
          though many media/sf/writing conventions"

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • kevin_searchprobe
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 11, 2002

            > On a different note, I find that Kevin's SEARCH messageboard as
            well
            > as the entirety of InsideTheWeb has been shut down:
            > http://www.insidetheweb.com/messageboard/mbs.cgi/mb315284
            >
            > More later,
            >
            > Don

            Thanks for remembering! Sorry I've been sort of incommucato for a
            while. Lots of personal stuff going on. Anyway, I've gone ahead and
            put up another SEARCH message board on "Asiaco".

            http://forum.asiaco.com/searchprobe/

            Maybe some stray SEARCH fan will run across it and it'll point him to
            the site. That's the hope anyway. BTW, has anyone put up a
            SEARCH/PROBE Yahoo club yet? It might be a good idea, there seems to
            be a lot of traffic there. And the more "Aussies" you're able to
            contact, the better chance of finding episodes recorded in 1982.
            Oddly, that's that's pretty much the brink of the emergence of
            Beta/VCR, making the search for episodes possible, but difficult.
            I've come across a few old VHS tapes recorded in '83, but nothing any
            earlier. If the shows had aired as late as 1985, tracking episodes
            would probably be a cakewalk.