Re: [probe_control] Franciosa in Rio Conchos

  • Paul Browne
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2002
      --- Jim Alexander <probecontrol@...> wrote:
      > Anthony wrote:
      > >... I saw RIO CONCHOS for the first time last
      > week (hadn't known TF was in it, just grabbed it
      > randomly off the library shelf)...

      Thing is, I think I went with it cause of the
      title (reminded me of Howard Hawks' RIO BRAVO) and the
      box advertised that Stuart Whitman (a good actor in
      his day) was in it, no other names mentioned on the
      box. But it turns out that it was Jim Brown's first
      film and of course not only was Franciosa there but he
      was the one who got the nomination (as below).

      I see that film critics in a couple guides I have
      say RC was like THE COMANCHEROS (which I haven't seen
      in a while) but IMO it also resembled DUEL AT DIABLO
      with Whitman=Bill Travers, Brown=Sidney Poitier,
      Richard Boone=Dennis Weaver and Franciosa=James
      Garner. To get the whole thing back to SEARCH, it's
      always interesting to see different actors and acting
      styles in the same production, as with the (4) leads
      in RC or the (3 rotating) leads in SEARCH. Wouldn't it
      have been great to have TF, Hugh O'Brian (I checked
      the spelling) and Doug McClure interacting in one
      story? Maybe in fanfic...

      > I respect a guy who grabs an "Oldie But Goodie"
      > off the shelf! Too many people only pay attention
      > to the "New Releases" at the local Video Store!

      Sure, and then I found out after watching it that
      Tony Franciosa got a 1964 Golden Globe nomination in
      the Best Actor-Drama category for RC. He was up
      against both Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole from
      BECKET, Anthony Quinn as ZORBA and Fredric March in
      SEVEN DAYS IN MAY. TF didn't win the GG that year
      (O'Toole did) but what a group of actors to be
      included in!

      "Off to read a HOB biography"

      Anthony

      Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!