Franciosa in Rio Conchos

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2002
      Anthony wrote:
      >... I saw RIO CONCHOS for the first time last week (hadn't known TF was in it, just grabbed it randomly off the library shelf)...
      ------------------------
      I respect a guy who grabs an "Oldie But Goodie" off the shelf!  Too many people only pay attention to the "New Releases" at the local Video Store!

      Go, man, GO!

      Jim Alexander
    • Paul Browne
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 23, 2002
        --- Jim Alexander <probecontrol@...> wrote:
        > Anthony wrote:
        > >... I saw RIO CONCHOS for the first time last
        > week (hadn't known TF was in it, just grabbed it
        > randomly off the library shelf)...

        Thing is, I think I went with it cause of the
        title (reminded me of Howard Hawks' RIO BRAVO) and the
        box advertised that Stuart Whitman (a good actor in
        his day) was in it, no other names mentioned on the
        box. But it turns out that it was Jim Brown's first
        film and of course not only was Franciosa there but he
        was the one who got the nomination (as below).

        I see that film critics in a couple guides I have
        say RC was like THE COMANCHEROS (which I haven't seen
        in a while) but IMO it also resembled DUEL AT DIABLO
        with Whitman=Bill Travers, Brown=Sidney Poitier,
        Richard Boone=Dennis Weaver and Franciosa=James
        Garner. To get the whole thing back to SEARCH, it's
        always interesting to see different actors and acting
        styles in the same production, as with the (4) leads
        in RC or the (3 rotating) leads in SEARCH. Wouldn't it
        have been great to have TF, Hugh O'Brian (I checked
        the spelling) and Doug McClure interacting in one
        story? Maybe in fanfic...

        > I respect a guy who grabs an "Oldie But Goodie"
        > off the shelf! Too many people only pay attention
        > to the "New Releases" at the local Video Store!

        Sure, and then I found out after watching it that
        Tony Franciosa got a 1964 Golden Globe nomination in
        the Best Actor-Drama category for RC. He was up
        against both Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole from
        BECKET, Anthony Quinn as ZORBA and Fredric March in
        SEVEN DAYS IN MAY. TF didn't win the GG that year
        (O'Toole did) but what a group of actors to be
        included in!

        "Off to read a HOB biography"

        Anthony

        Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!