Go a signed Hugh O'Brian bio, from Hugh!!!

  • kevin_searchprobe
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2014

      This is complicated, try to follow me! My best friend for about 25 years, has a good friend & former bandmate who I've met casually, who's grandfather has been largely involved in the Albert Schweitzer Festival for years. I knew Hugh hadn't shown up in 2013, and as it turned out, was unable to attend this year. I've recently moved quite a bit closer to the area, and bought a couple of things off EBAY, hoping to drive down & meet him and get them signed.

      My friend called last week & said he had something "big" coming thru the mail for me, but wouldn't give a clue to what it was. As it turned out, Hugh's old friend "Thurston" called Hugh, and told him his grandson had a friend who was a big fan of his & his TV series SEARCH, and Hugh, out of his own pocket, sent me a copy of his autography! My favorite PROBE sure came thru for me! I'm a 'Top Gun' now! I couldn't be more thrilled.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2014
        Hello Kevin

        What a nice gesture.

        Geoff

        ***************  Geoff Willmetts    editor, SFCrowsnest.org.uk  and other suffixes ****************

        To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
        From: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 13:00:57 -0700
        Subject: [probe_control] Go a signed Hugh O'Brian bio, from Hugh!!!

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2014
          Congratulations, Kevin! What a nice thing for O'Brian to have done for you!

          Jim Alexander

[...]

        • dmanmetz36
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2014
            NICE!! Does he mention Search in his memoir?

            Chris

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2014

              I jumped to that right away, of course. There were just for a few pages. He says words to the effect that he believed the show could've been a bigger success if it hadn't been for the gimmicks the writers used, or if they hadn't used three different rotating actors. He referred to them as a group of 'CIA agents who hunted bad guys'. And there is a really great picture of Hugh & Elke Sommer from the pilot.

              He put a pamphlet from his HOBY foundation in there too, which was great, and a couple of things from the 'Words of Albert Schweitzer and the music of Bach' festival in Nashville were in it, probably added by my friend's friend's grandfather. I'd love to know what Hugh thinks of the DVD release. Anyway, I'd recommend picking up the book!

              http://hughobrian.me/hugh-obrians-new-book.html

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 4, 2014
                OH, YOU LUCKY DOG!!! (ENVY-o-meter is pegged!)

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 4, 2014
                  I got the enlarged photo of the cover. Nice! He was my favorite PROBE as well. (Also interesting is that little line in the title of his memoir: "Or What's Left of Him". That's usually when I say when anyone asks me if I'm me... on the phone or such, and I say, "Yes, or what's left of me.")

                  I guess great PROBEs think alike!      ;)

[...]

                • secretconcierge
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 4, 2014
                    Wow, thats Hugh under that beard, one would never recognize him.