RE: OT: Lost In Space Remastered

    Message 1 of 43 , Oct 9, 2013

      I'd rather they just give us the "original aspect ratio" the way the director originally shot the scene.

      I understand that people want to "fill up" the screens of their new 16x9 widescreen TVs, but those shows of the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s were not filmed that way.

      In the old days, the networks and local stations all refused to air any letterbox movies.  It simply was never done.  We got "pan and scan" and usually it was a very crude job with very bad timing.  And we were lucky to get that.  Often there was no pan and scan, they just placed the camera in the middle of the widescreen image for the duration of the movie.  Often we got scenes of two people speaking to each other, and all you saw was the tips of each of their noses.  :)

      It wasn't until studios began releasing widescreen versions of their movies on VHS (and later on DVD) that film purists could celebrate.  Networks and some local stations finally began airing certain special movies in widescreen format, which resulted in those black bands on the top and bottom of your screen.  But you were seeing the full image as the director and producers originally intended.

      Now it looks like we are doing a reverse.  Instead of respecting the original aspect ratio of these older shows, the tendency now is to want to zoom in and cut a portion of the top and bottom of the image in order to fill the new widescreen TVs.  There is a zoom button on the remotes.  If you want to zoom in to fill the width of the screen, you can already do that yourself.

      Maybe the solution is to release the original aspect ratio version on DVDs, and provide these new "Full Frame" zoomed-in altered versions to syndication?

      ---In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, <actingman6@...> wrote:

      I don't think he shot in wide screen, but there was some speculation that maybe he overshot the 4:3 boundries in case he found himself with a need or a new opportunity for it to stretch to wide screen.  But I don't know if that is just how much you lost on overscan or if there was extra picture being filmed.  Since we have Search frames (and many of us Trek TOS frames as well) we can compare them to where they appear in the episodes to see how much is lost in overscan.  I always assume that info on the left hand will be lost when they add the optical sound track.  Since (as far as I know) the negatives don't have any sound tracks on them, those frames have more info then what ends up on the screen...like in the Search clip I referenced above.

      On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Jim Alexander <probecontrol@...> wrote:
      This is the first I've heard of the Hanna Barbera animated film being remastered, John!  Wonderful news!

      I'm a little confused about the overscan examples. The most obvious (to me, anyway) was comparing the 1:33:1 'Original Aspect Ratio' to the 1:78:1 'Full Frame' version--at about 6:30 in--where you can clearly see Penny in the Freezing tube in the latter, but not in the former.

      Frankly, I didn't think that you could get any better than the 1:33:1 Original Aspect Ratio--and that that version contained 100% of the possible visual information available. So, you're telling me that Allen shot in a widescreen ratio, and the sides were cropped for network airing? Or, am I missing something?

      Thanks so much for sharing--

      Jim Alexander

      The DVD release of LIS was a disgrace, using masters from 1987, which had a couple of scenes missing...although billed as "uncut."

      The company that controls the Irwin Allen properties has paid to have all 83 episodes, plus two versions of the original pilot, and one later loosly-based animated episode remastered from the original negatives.  The task now is to get Fox to release them...I am guessing they still own the distribution rights to the episodes themselves.

      Here are some amazing samples:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b61MAqktMc&feature=youtu.be

      I have posted a couple of comments, as have a couple of other Search members.  The issue of including overscan areas in the frame is an interesting question.  With modern remastering of film, even if you are not trying to include more of the frame, stuff is still coming through that you are not supposed to see.  When Search gets released, it will be interesting to see how much of this frame gets included in the final product:  http://probecontrol.artshost.com/Episodes/imagepages/334var.html

      Message 43 of 43 , Oct 19, 2013

        No problems, dude. I know what you're going through with your dad isn't easy. Unfortunately I don't have DWM #444 in my small stack that didn't end up in the storage pod. I grab an issue when I see one, but since Borders went TU (and they were the only store to carry DWM regularly), its appearance in other book stores is sporadic at best.

        I don't do any Twitter, but the people I know that do and have been following the Recovered Episodes saga, it would appear that Ian Levine and Phil Morris have some sort of rivalry going as to which of them has located more of those "Missing, Presumed Wiped" episodes. (And Levine isn't being very nice towards the BBC, going as far as using profanity at them for not releasing both the news of recovered episodes and the episodes themselves the moment the BBC gets hold of them.) But given that no one at the BBC has ever given a reason for junking "Feast of Steven", we may never get one.