RE: [probe_control] Telemetry

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013

      Hello Dino

           There wouldn’t be enough charge to do that. All dynamos are based off magnetic coils spinning around to produce a charge and there is none of that with anything a PROBE is carrying. If anything, the TV Scanner is a very passive object.

           Re: ‘Short Circuit’. C’mon, Grover would have no idea how long he had to throw his Scanner away before it exploded or even know it turning it off was even an option. The number of small parts in the Scanner would have also been dangerous shrapnel, especially if he caught something in the eye if he held on to it.

           With turning the Scanner off. I applied Occam’s razor – go for the simplest than the most complicated method to do anything.

           Re: Microwaves. I can’t do much for your car radio but where’s your TV aerial?? Mine’s in the attic and using silver foil to block the signal. As it’s in an usual position now and having to rely on string to hold it in position, I was a bit concerned if the foil touched the aerial that it would affect the usual signal but that doesn’t seem to be the case. As long as the back and the tip is exposed you might cut back on the interference.

           Actually, my DVD recorder is a little older than my TV. It’s an easy test to do. Just compare the number of channels each discovers when you tune them in. This doesn’t mean you’ll get them all just what it can find. The DVD recorder does something with 5V on the aerial but whether it’s on or off, it didn’t make much difference.

      Geoff

      ***************  Geoff Willmetts    editor, SFCrowsnest.org.uk  and other suffixes ****************

      To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
      From: LambuLambu@...
      Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 01:24:11 -0400
      Subject: Re: [probe_control] Telemetry

      Geoff,

      Scanner power: The idea of the scanner "idling" (when switched on and not being powered by signals from PROBE Control) came from the fact that a magnetic field (from the scanner's internal magnet or magnetic housing for attaching it to rings, cuff links, etc.) running through the scanner's circuitry could "possibly" induce enough current in the circuits to have the scanner "idle". There would be no need for power storage; the magnet and its field provide the power, albeit at just enough of a minimal level for PROBE Control to get a lock onto its location via ComStat.

      The earjack: I agree with you on that one. From the location Lockwood indicated in the Pilot - somewhere near the mastoid process - it would be very quick and easy for an agent to press a finger back there and toggle (more than likely) a push-on/push-off microswitch, which they did have in the late '60s and certainly the early '70s.

      "Short Circuit": Actually, Grover did have time to switch off his scanner. In the time it took him to grab it, pull it off of his ring, toss it through the air and for it to fall onto the ground, and then have it explode another second or two later, he could just as easily have - if the novelisation is to be taken as canon - grabbed the scanner and given it that twist to switch it off while it was still on his ring. (But let's face it, which of the above two scenes is more dramatic for TV audiences?)
      This leads me to think that you're right about how the scanner "switching on/off" works. Giving it a twist would be more likely to slide contacts apart (like those of a slide-switch torch/flashlight) would work. It would take up far less room than any microswitch I've ever seen, and could also "ground/earth out" any possible idling power to the scanner from the above mentioned magnet. This would effectively leave the scanner "dead" until it was twisted on again, and no doubt how the replacement scanner was in its delivery box.

      Where I live: I've got five Navy Bases - three of them air stations - and two Coast Guard Bases, and they are always operational. Besides them, we've several Vessel Traffic Service radar positions to monitor the waterways. The only time we get "buzzed" is when the AWACS planes fly a certain pattern. I guess that particular pattern just happens to point their rotating radar dome at our position. The buzzing never lasts long, so they're probably only banking into turns, which would cause the business end of their radar dome to sweep the ground for a few seconds. This concurs with your thoughts, and mine, on the alignment/position of their antenna/aerial (or when referring to a radar, the "array").

      I'm not familiar with DVD recorders, certainly not ones that can tune in TV channels, so I really can't comment on that, other than to say that if your DVD recorder is newer than your TV (which it sounds like if it can pick up more channels than your TV), then it probably is more sensitive.

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013
        Geoff,

        I wasn't really thinking of the scanner in terms of a dynamo. I know how they work. I was thinking along the lines of how to explain a possible power source in a piece of highly-advanced piece of technology (even by today's standards), and apply it to a quasi-SF TV show that used the technology. The scanner is what one might call "semi-passive", in that aside from passively detecting body vital signs, standard images, other electrical or electronic signals, etc., it was also active in that it could zoom in and out, switch spectra (i.e. get visuals in infrared and X-ray), and then transmit those audio and visual signals. So, as absurd as it may sound, with the scanner being part of that quasi-SF world and so advanced for its time, there could still have been a tiny gizmo invented by the PROBE R&D that could utilize the field generated by the scanner's magnet to produce "idling" power when ComStat wasn't powering it. (After all, since we're working in the realm of TV and SF, we do have to step out of the "Real World" - which does actually suck - and think, as it were, 'inside the TV box' on this one.)

        "Short Circuit": Looking at things from your viewpoint below, I would have to agree. In Grover's shoes, if I saw that Mega Trans Package floating down on a parachute and electrical things starting to go 'boom' around me, I'd just toss the scanner away as fast as my fingers could let go of it. As you correctly say: "Occam's razor" (a.k.a. Ockham's razor, for those who have never seen this other spelling of it). It was also more dramatic, and the scanner did explode nicely, with some force, so the shrapnel factor would have been high, even in splinter-sized form.

        Microwaves, and getting "buzzed": Nothing I can do about that. My TV feed comes from cable service, not an aerial or sat dish. The cable is fibre optic all the way to the house, and once inside the house it's RG-59 (standard TV cable coax, which is shielded). The AWACS buzzing comes through the speakers, even when they're not connected to anything (i.e. unplugged PC speakers): that microwave passing through the speaker coils and reacting with the magnet trick. It works, which just goes to show how powerful that AWACS radar really is!

        DVD Recorder: Still can't really comment on that. I would need to study the schematic diagrams of it first to see how it operates. Otherwise I would be like a Ph.D., knowing nothing about physical anatomy, yet still trying to make an MD's medical diagnosis. (Sorry about that.)

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013

          Hello Dino

               Re: TV Scanner. Until it gets juice, it’s totally passive. Any information useful to the PROBE agent has to be go back to HQ and then explained back by earjack.

               Any internal power source would have to be created by an alternating current which would mean something would have to be moving continually because there’s no room for a battery so yes, it would have to be a dynamo of some sort.

               Forget TV in all of this. All the discussion is based on how possible this is in the real world. It might not have seemed that way back in the 70s but the technology has caught up. Like Mike says, the only real obstacle is the power source.

               If ‘Search’ was made today, it would still have to be a concealed device still but access to info wouldn’t have changed so much other than automating some of it. You would probably still need someone in power management, a medic and a boss who would check the computer data.

               Re: microwaves and your speakers. Hmmm....I haven’t tried this but if you fancy a little experiment, make a suitable box to go behind the speaker, wrap it in silver foil, shiny side out, and see if shielding that side helps. It’ll be a lot cheaper than putting a fine mesh in front of the speakers.

          To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013
            Geoff,

            PROBE Scanner: Anything, really, is "passive" until it gets juice. The scanner as I mentioned works as a passive and active device. If it wasn't active in some sort of way, it would never have the IR, X-Ray, zoom, etc. capabilities it has.
            I think we can - mostly - set aside the idea of a dynamo and alternating current as 99.9% of electronic equipment operates on direct current. True, alternating current may initially enter the equipment (at home it would be from a wall outlet, for the scanner it would be from the microwave signals from HQ via Comstat), but once the Vac gets inside the casing, it is passed through a transformer to step up (or down) the voltage, which is then rectified into Vdc. So the idea that the scanner needs a dynamo to generate alternating current for power isn't necessary and the transformer alone would make the thing impractical; it's circuits would run off of direct current, so in that respect if we toss the idea of the magnet generating any power, a "button" battery would make more sense as the internal power source.

            'Search' made today: Yes, the agents' equipment would still need to be - let's say 'unobtrusive' rather than concealed. Concealed indicates more of something that no one would see. (I guess the earjack and dental contacts would fall into this category, so maybe we'd need both concealed and unobtrusive.) The scanner would be the unobtrusive item. To keep things within the realm of plausibility, I think the scanner would have to be kept "close" to its original size (unlike the too small 'cameras' the She Spies used). Its design could be slightly altered so it would look more like a piece of jewelry, though, yet still give it that "old-fashioned" scanner look - like, say, the Eye of Medusa (a.k.a. Evil Eye: here's a bracelet full of them for those who haven't seen one before:
            http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5900/a9c13/products/85/images/377/tanz_blue_sterling_silver_evil_eye_bracelet__32389.1297118272.1280.1280.jpg; and they come in a variety of colors so even female agents could color-coordinate with whatever outfit they were wearing: http://www.luckjewels.com/categories/Sterling-Silver-Evil-Eye-Bracelets/). Still has that look, but not so much of the draw-your-eye-to-it oddness of the original's circuit board and lens.
            Power management would definitely be a necessity as you point out, hence our modern-day Kuroda at the front-center console. A medic is also necessary to monitor the PROBE agents' condition, as well as any other vital signs from someone sneaking about: modern day Gloria at her left-hand console to the left of Cameron's (Boss Man to oversee everything) rear-center double-sided console.
            In keeping with the spirit of the Pilot and first 15 episodes (with a dark PROBE Control and more HQ technicians), a computer expert would also be a good idea to monitor the more complex tech HQ would use today (Ginny Keach at her right-hand console to the right of Cam's) and like Ginny did back then, monitor the now-widespread Internet traffic. Since language translation programs aren't totally accurate, a linguistics expert is also a good idea (Griffin, front-left console) since someone would have to speak the translation to the agent anyway.
            And someone to monitor all communications channels - cell/mobile phones (voice and text), e-mails, Skype, etc. (Carlos, front-right console). We could keep the non-descript consoles in the back on the left and right sides of the rear Computer/recording drive racks, just in case something out of the ordinary pops up and needs monitoring (although they got along fine without those in the Pilot and "The Murrow Disappearance"). The Main Screen? I'd just make it HD: maybe a slightly bigger housing. Otherwise I wouldn't change the look of it; it's just too cool as is! (I wouldn't go holographic with its display because that would be too much ST: TNG-ish.)

            AWACS interference: Honestly, as infrequent as that buzzing happens and as short as the buzzing's duration is, it really isn't worth the effort to try blocking it from the speakers. It happens at random - once every few months, and not at the same time so we can't even track it to get ready to try the shielding - and it only lasts about 10-15 seconds.

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 27, 2013

              Hello Dino

                   Re: TV Scanner. Of course, but without the connection to HQ, the device is essentially useless so it makes sense for them to microwave the energy it needs to work it.

                   I only went on about the dynamo to cover your point that it wouldn’t be practical.

                   As to voltage from microwaves. It is a low voltage or we would be living in a microwave oven. The Scanner might be small but its energy would have to be stepped up for some of its functions and probably why some of the functions aren’t on all the time. Putting a transformer in the Scanner would be a bit impractical but a capacitor would carry enough providing it’s used. Going back to ‘Short Circuit’, that would be the part of the Scanner that I would go for to make it explode.

                   We’ve never discussed what powers the dental contact but I suspect that as it’s so close to the earjack that it shares its link.

                   I’ve had John run the photos of spy cameras currently in use and the lens is about half the size of the Scanner now but I think the original size would serve its other functions better. All the real ones are still linked to a battery source which is many times bigger.

                   Wearing it is easier. No neckchain but simply in the lapel. I never saw the cufflink as being that practical and considering that they couldn’t stop it flying off on the show was probably why we never saw it being used that way beyond the pilot demo. I thought the waistcoat position was too low on the chest. The ring was used for close-ups when sitting down but the lapel would still work. Lady PROBES would do as last time and be part of their jewelry.

                   Considering how much translation software has developed over the last decade, having some computer-based version working would probably be in there.

              To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 28, 2013
                Geoff,

                Scanner power: Well put. And yes, the capacitors would be the components that explode, although diodes will also explode if their reverse bias limit is surpassed (it's called "avalanche breakdown", for those who don't know the term; I used to demonstrate it to my classes when I taught electronics). You'd be surprised just how large of a "POP" and how many sparks a teeny-weeny diode can make when it blows! They would provide the "light show"; the capacitors would provide the "oomph!" to the blast.

                Microwaves: We're practically living in a microwave oven now. What when you count all of the RF (HF, VHF, UHF, microwave frequencies, etc.) from TV and radio stations, voice comms, GPS and mobile/cell phone signals, Satellite TV signals (which are far stronger than they were when people had 8-foot diameter dishes in their yards, so the smaller dishes can pick them up), radar from weather satellites, etc., etc., we're constantly being bombarded by RF radiation. (It's all over which is why our equipment picks it up no matter where we are. Maybe that's one of the reasons why there has been a rise in cancer over the last couple of decades? Too much RF exposure?)

                Earjack and Dental Contact power: I agree; they had to be linked somehow. As you say; they're implanted so close together. For all we know - unless it's been mentioned in a novelisation - their power cold also be coming from the ComStat signals.

                Real-life "spy" cameras: Yeah, things are getting smaller, but I agree that the original PROBE scanner had a lens that's better suited for the wide spectra it was intended to "see". (We know besides regular and zoom, we had X-Ray and infrared. I wonder if it also had others such as UV.)

                Wearing scanners: Yeah, the cufflink demo in the Pilot was I think just that: a demo to show the viewer that the scanner could be attached to any appropriate metallic surface. Having it on the cuff link would be as practical - or rather serve the same purpose as the ring: still, close-up, zoom-in imaging. (Remember the dizzying images on Control's main view screen when Lockwood had the scanner on his ring, and was helping to load the luggage into the cars' boot?) The necklace or watch chain was indeed too low for sitting at a table, but it at least gave a "stable" image as the agent walked. In "Operation Iceman" (if I've got the title right), the female agent wore hers in the center of a brooch, on her left jacket lapel, I think it was (been a while since I've seen that episode). A lapel pin would be a really good place to wear it, though. (But it wouldn't be so easy to sneak it off and place it somewhere else, as it would to sneak it off of the watch chain or necklace.)

                Translation software: While it has come a long way since its early days, it's still not perfect, and someone would still have to read the translation to the PROBE agent. Better that be a linguistics expert who could verify the translation software had gotten it right (and provide the correct translation if the software was a bit off), than just any Control techs who would just read what the software is telling them. (Besides, who can deny the comic effect in that one episode - someone help me with the title here, please - when that beautiful woman says something to Lockwood, Griffin translates it: "My darling, my darling." And Cameron mutters, "Now that loses something in the translation.")

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 29, 2013

                  Hello Dino

                       Capacitors being bigger than diodes would made the biggest splash.

                       I’m not convinced that RF causes cancers. People were having them long before such pollution but our level of communication has risen so it our knowledge of illnesses has increased.

                       My house is in an interesting position in my street as depending where I point my aerial, I can hook into four different TV masts, a couple do overlap signal. The furthest is in South Wales of all places. Another is in a direct line towards a mobile phone transmitter according to the maps and so I chose a different one plus the foil and removed a lot of the interference.

                       Re: Earjack and dental contact. A lot of this has to go back to ‘Let Us Prey’. Danzig modified Bianco’s earjack and still had it function. Granted that he probably had a transmitter on his island but when Cameron thought to extend his search for Bianco to the other side of the world, he easily locked into it and over-powered any local transmitter to talk to him. Granted, it could receive power from any microwave transmitter, you could say the same for the TV Scanner, assuming they knew what to look for and the transmitter frequency except that microwaves weren’t used as much in those days. Had the series been made today, you could bounce signals all over the world with impunity but not then.

                       As to whether there is a battery in the earjack, one has to think how it could be charged. An induction coil, like you have with charging electric toothbrushes would be enough. Sleep with one under your pillow when asleep and it would be nicely charged. Unlike the Scanner, it wouldn’t need so much juice. I do agree that it might also get some power from microwaves but its initial signal would be like a homer.

                       What practical use would there be in seeing into UV?? Granted, the TV Scanner has a full spectrum detection but I doubt if it would need to go that high.

                       Bianco wore his Scanner on his tie-clip a couple times.

                       As to sneaky moving the Scanner around. In the novelisation, van Niestat or one of the pair did wonder why Lockwood’s piece of jewelry seemed to move from position to position.

                            Re: Translation software: Not so. You can get an audio translation. If you look through your Windows software, you’ll find there is a facility for all sorts of medically impaired people. I suspect that also applies to those of you who have Apple computers as well.

                  To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com