Time and scanners

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 23, 2013

      Hello John

           Re: ‘summer tour of 1776.’ Hugh O’Brian is a time traveler??!!

           This was also a first season and I doubt if any of the writers would have known what they were letting themselves in for character wise other than seeing the pilot. I’d love to see the writer’s guidelines even so. If anything, and having seen the scripts know that it wasn’t modified, they were given enough details to ensure that each PROBE wasn’t a copycat of each other.

      Hello Mike

           Re: Scanner. I don’t think it ever had a power source because it’s Kuroda who is feeding it radio energy. The ring part probably contains a very fine wire aerial. The fact that the nice doggie in the lift/elevator reacted to it in the pilot show would show it must be giving off a high pitch hum from the microwaves.

           That still leaves the question of the neural earjack being powered up and I’m not entirely convinced what was pulled out of Bianco was the entire thing, just the equivalent of that current tab thing in current mobile phones. Mind you, they wouldn’t have known about brain damage from phone signals back then neither. I would think with the earjack it could carry a small energy reserve – wouldn’t need as much as a scanner – so it could still pick up messages independently of the scanner.

      Geoff

      ***************  Geoff Willmetts    editor, SFCrowsnest.org.uk  and other suffixes ****************

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 23, 2013
        Geoff,

        I think there was some discussion on this a couple of years ago. We'd speculated that the magnet in the scanner that held it to the ring, necklace, watch chain, etc., generated enough current from the magnetic field flowing through the circuits for the scanner to "idle", while Kuroda's transmission to it controlled how much power the scanner was actually using.

        Also discussed was the aerial/antenna issue. It must have been somehow worked into the scanner's housing, otherwise when the scanner was left behind - as Lockwood did in the Pilot when he hid it under the napkin on the table, so Cam and his crew could see what transpired when Lockwood left the table - the scanner would have lost its aerial and PROBE Control would have lost its signal. As it was, the scanner's telemetry (visual, audio, vital sign detection, etc.) was the same whether or not it was attached to the aforementioned mounting/carrying devices. Another instance of this was in "Moonrock" when the thief pulled the scanner off of unconscious Lockwood's necklace. Kuroda was still able to track it, and eventually get a good signal from it once the thief removed it from the sack he was carrying it in so he could show it off to his boss. (That wouldn't have been possible if the scanner's antenna wasn't integrated into it.)

        The things that seemed to affect the scanner's signal were large, metallic surroundings (Lockwood's "holding cell" in the Pilot, and the WSC building basement in "Short Circuit"), strong electromagnetic fields (again, WSC's basement, and the one generated on that psycho-weirdo's island - I forget the character's name - in "Let Us Prey" which jammed the signal), or, again as in the pilot, a large pile of table linens (as the scanner's signal got stronger as Lockwood pulled more linens out of the bin to uncover the scanner after the waiter scooped it up while clearing the tables).

        So rather than having the scanner's aerial/antenna dependent on its mounting device, be it the ring, cuff link, etc., it would stand to reason that the aerial is part of the scanner.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 23, 2013

          Hello Dino

               As much of the discussion about how the TV Scanner worked probably came from me, it’s a fair bet that I wouldn’t have said that the magnet or the accessories would have helped it receive energy. The Scanner worked fine without being attached to anything in the pilot. They were also in range of the ComStat satellite dish most of the time which must have helped. The only time that got mucked up was when Bianco was kidnapped in ‘Let Us Prey’ and when Cameron decided to try a different side of the world did they locate his active earjack.

               The Scanner can be turned off, although this is only ever shown really in the novelisations. The fine wire aerial wrapped in the housing was my solution because you would need such a thing to channel the microwave transmissions. That by the way, is how many of your mobile phones work so Stevens was really ahead on this as well, just not on an individual scale because it was practiced at the time.

          By the by, do any of you folk have problems with their DVD recorders, remotes taking an age to name something or recording from its hard drive to DVD being cut-off after a few minutes and then suddenly working, or TVs, like losing sound, at odd times of the day. If you do, then your equipment or specifically your TV aerial  is picking up mobile phone aerial transmitter signals. I’ve had the problem and have to positively shield my TV aerial with silver foil to keep 90% of the signal out. Microwave signals can be kept out by metal insulation but it has to be all round. Any gaps and the signal will get through, hence my only getting 90% insulation at the moment. It’s also why microwaves are used than traditional radio signals.

          To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 23, 2013
            Geoff,

            When the topic of the scanner's power came up, I was the one who postulated about the magnet producing just enough power for the scanner to operate at a minimal level - i.e. "idle". This postulate was based on my working with electronics, and knowing that a magnetic field flowing through wiring, circuit boards, various electronics components, etc., does induce current flow, which can generate some level of power, small as it may be; but that is all something as small as the scanner would need to "idle" until Kuroda beamed power to it. I can't find that discussion, but another member of our group agreed with me on that aspect. (Someone help me out here, please, if you also remember the discussion.)

            I think I remember it being mentioned - once - in an episode (probably "Short Circuit") that the scanner could be switched off, as could the earjack, when needed. I know the earjack being turned off was mentioned in "Short Circuit", as it was said the PROBE Agent that saw the Mega Trans Package in action in the psycho's mansion "switched his earjack off in time" and thus survived (but was later killed on the plane he took to meet Grover). The scanner was never shown to be switched off; in fact as we all remember when the Mega Trans Package parachuted from a passing plane, Grover tossed his scanner away seconds before it exploded, then continued the mission using the replacement scanner he was to deliver to the now-dead agent. (That scanner had obviously not been switched on yet, and again this aspect was not really explored in the series, but more so, as you said, in the novelizations.)

            Can't really comment on the interference problem you mentioned; I haven't experienced that. I do, on occasion, get a regular-intervalled "zzzZZZzzz" across my speakers (TV, computer, radio - home and car, etc.), which is an indication that my general area is being buzzed by AWACS. However, living within 20 minutes of three Naval Air Stations, this is not unusual. It doesn't happen that often; if it's once a month, it's a lot.