Re: [probe_control] length and hair

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013
      Besides starting in June to allow for the opticals (Probe screen shots,) O'Brian was scheduled to go out on a summer tour of 1776.  So they got three of him in the can, and then he was out until around September.

      On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 2:08 AM, LambuLambu@... <LambuLambu@...> wrote:

      Geoff,

      I know all about receding hairlines. Bruce Willis isn't the only one. A case of life imitating fiction: How many of us remember watching 'Babylon 5' and watching Michael Garibaldi's hair get shorter each season until Season 5, when he was completely shaved bald? Also, in the "life imitates fiction" line, The Weather Channel's Jim Cantore had hair exactly like Garibaldi's, and just like Garibaldi's, Cantore's hair got shorter from one year to the next until he is, as now, bald. (Even my hairline is starting to "ebb" like the tide: thankfully slowly.)

      I was just referring to the Lockwood episodes of 'Search' that had Meredith's hair darker (with what looked like possibly some hair gel in it, no doubt making it look darker), vs. his lighter-colored, "fluffier" hair look in the Bianco/Grover episodes. This is what made me think that, just as a possibility, after filming those first few episodes of 'Search', as (I believe Don) put it in this post:
      "Remember when Jim spoke with Hugh at the autograph show around 2002 or so.  Hugh said that Lockwood was originally to have been the only Probe agent. While he enjoyed doing the pilot, he didn't want to do the series because of the time demands of starring in every episode.  It was when they went with the 3-rotating leads idea that Hugh relented and decided to do the series."
      ...when the other two PROBE agents were brought in to fill out the series, Meredith's hair was styled differently. Not talking about receding hairlines or thinning hair, just having a different style. It's what made me think about what Don posted: that O'Brian really didn't want to commit to a weekly series, and the rotating PROBE agents was an afterthought to get the series to the episode count needed for a full season.

      And again this would also (possibly) explain why there was only ONE Lockwood episode in the last 8; after filming his episodes, O'Brian decided the weekly series grind wasn't to his liking and backed away. Franciosa and McClure were brought in to rotate leads and get the episode count to 22. Someone may have coaxed O'Brian back for one last episode during the final 8 to bring the ep count to 23. Perhaps if 'Search' had gone on to a second season, we may have seen another agent replacing Lockwood if O'Brian didn't want to do any more episodes. Season 2 could have been Bianco, Grover, and - oh... Goldsmith? - as the new 'PROBE 1', or with a different designation ('PROBE 2'?)

      End Run,

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013
        I would say no.  The writers would come in and pitch stories, and if there was one that sounded good, they would write that one.  If they needed some Grover stories, the writer would be told that they were looking for stories that would fit that character and the kind of last minute, by the seat of his pants cases.  A writer would not have only a Lockwood story and be sent away.  If there were seeds in the pitch that the story editor/producer liked, they would toss it around and see how it could be molded to their needs.  And the writers are not going to have just one idea.  They will have an expensive one in mind, a multi-parter, a bottle story...many different kinds of tales to fit a show's needs...and be ready to shape an idea to fit what the production is looking for.

        On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 5:30 AM, gf willmetts <gfwillmetts-2@...> wrote:

        Morning Dino

             As to star rotation and who does what. In those days, wouldn’t it have depended a lot on what the scriptwriters provided?? Someone really needs to talk to Judy Burns or any of the other surviving scriptwriters for their insight on this.