length and hair

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 21, 2013

      Hello Don

           Had PROBE stuck to 90 minute shows on the Mystery byline, like The Six Million Dollar Man, it would eventually have been switched to 50 minutes shows or it would have had the same fate as ‘Cool Million’.

           As to Franciosa. He was never what you would call a safe actor. His fiery attitude with his dash of charm is what made him popular in the first place. Neither Stack nor Barry had that in them and both were pretty much deadpan.

           I’m sure Dino would love to put the hair thing to rest.

           Looking at https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=burgess+meredith&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=IHA9Uue3NofChAfrkoCoAw&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1231&bih=678&dpr=1

           he certainly had a healthy set of hair when younger, but then so did Bruce Willis. I doubt it if was extreme as that but does tend to suggest that he had a receding hairline.

      Geoff

      ***************  Geoff Willmetts    editor, SFCrowsnest.org.uk  and other suffixes ****************

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 21, 2013
        Geoff,

        I know all about receding hairlines. Bruce Willis isn't the only one. A case of life imitating fiction: How many of us remember watching 'Babylon 5' and watching Michael Garibaldi's hair get shorter each season until Season 5, when he was completely shaved bald? Also, in the "life imitates fiction" line, The Weather Channel's Jim Cantore had hair exactly like Garibaldi's, and just like Garibaldi's, Cantore's hair got shorter from one year to the next until he is, as now, bald. (Even my hairline is starting to "ebb" like the tide: thankfully slowly.)

        I was just referring to the Lockwood episodes of 'Search' that had Meredith's hair darker (with what looked like possibly some hair gel in it, no doubt making it look darker), vs. his lighter-colored, "fluffier" hair look in the Bianco/Grover episodes. This is what made me think that, just as a possibility, after filming those first few episodes of 'Search', as (I believe Don) put it in this post:
        "Remember when Jim spoke with Hugh at the autograph show around 2002 or so.  Hugh said that Lockwood was originally to have been the only Probe agent. While he enjoyed doing the pilot, he didn't want to do the series because of the time demands of starring in every episode.  It was when they went with the 3-rotating leads idea that Hugh relented and decided to do the series."
        ...when the other two PROBE agents were brought in to fill out the series, Meredith's hair was styled differently. Not talking about receding hairlines or thinning hair, just having a different style. It's what made me think about what Don posted: that O'Brian really didn't want to commit to a weekly series, and the rotating PROBE agents was an afterthought to get the series to the episode count needed for a full season.

        And again this would also (possibly) explain why there was only ONE Lockwood episode in the last 8; after filming his episodes, O'Brian decided the weekly series grind wasn't to his liking and backed away. Franciosa and McClure were brought in to rotate leads and get the episode count to 22. Someone may have coaxed O'Brian back for one last episode during the final 8 to bring the ep count to 23. Perhaps if 'Search' had gone on to a second season, we may have seen another agent replacing Lockwood if O'Brian didn't want to do any more episodes. Season 2 could have been Bianco, Grover, and - oh... Goldsmith? - as the new 'PROBE 1', or with a different designation ('PROBE 2'?)

        End Run,

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013

          Morning Dino

               Re: hair lost. There was a gag in one of the early Babylon 5 episodes where Garibaldi bought some alien root plant and told the seller that if it made him go bald he would come back and see him. I always thought it must have worked. :-)

               Re: Burgess Meredith himself. It wasn’t hair colour. If you look at his hair style, it does vary a lot.

               As to star rotation and who does what. In those days, wouldn’t it have depended a lot on what the scriptwriters provided?? Someone really needs to talk to Judy Burns or any of the other surviving scriptwriters for their insight on this.

          To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013
            Hi Geoff and Dino:
              If I can weigh in on the Burgess Meredith follicle debate, I remember this from around 1980--
            He played Anthony Hopkins' agent (I think) in the film 'Magic'. He was required to  partly shave his head
            for the role. According to the interview, he refused to do it until he got an insurance policy from Lloyd's of London in case it didn't grow back. That could have been a joke and he could have been wearing any number of rugs the previous many years, but I sort of doubt it. If he did take to one in his later years, he always wore a good one, like Jack Klugman. Most male hairlines recede at least a little with age--the fortunate few may only get a widow's peak, the rest of us have to wonder how long we can hold out with the rogaine and the propecia...and the way my stress factors keep peaking, I'm surprised I have anything left at all...
            Martin

            ***************  Geoff Willmetts    editor, SFCrowsnest.org.uk  and other suffixes ****************            SFCrowsnest.org.uk is the biggest SF website in Europe and second biggest in the world                   and that's only because the first is a commerical site and they look to what we do! *************************************************************************************
            To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com From: LambuLambu@... Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 02:08:14 -0400 Subject: Re: [probe_control] length and hair
[...]

            Dino.

            -----Original Message-----From: gf willmetts <gfwillmetts-2@...>To: Search Chat <probe_control@yahoogroups.com>Sent: Sat, Sep 21, 2013 6:22 amSubject: [probe_control] length and hair

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013

              Hello Martin

                   I haven’t seen ‘Magic’ yet, so can’t comment on that one yet. It’s bound to turn up on TV or I missed it because of feeling it’s rather too close to ‘Dead Of Night’.

                   OK, so why would he have his hairstyle changed across episodes. I doubt if he would have needed a full wig, just something for the front of her head which showed a little receding in that era.

                   Would he have been in theatre? According to IMDB, during that period he did three Night Gallery and one TV movie, ‘Old Faithful’, so he would have had plenty of time for that.

                   As to your own hairline, the best way to check whether it is stress of genes is to compare to other male members of your family and see which side you take after. I take after my Dad’s side of the family and kept my hair, my eldest brother matches one of my mother’s brothers and lost most of his. Them’s the breaks.

              To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013
                  I would say no.  The writers would come in and pitch stories, and if there was one that sounded good, they would write that one.  If they needed some Grover stories, the writer would be told that they were looking for stories that would fit that character and the kind of last minute, by the seat of his pants cases.  A writer would not have only a Lockwood story and be sent away.  If there were seeds in the pitch that the story editor/producer liked, they would toss it around and see how it could be molded to their needs.  And the writers are not going to have just one idea.  They will have an expensive one in mind, a multi-parter, a bottle story...many different kinds of tales to fit a show's needs...and be ready to shape an idea to fit what the production is looking for.

                  Morning Dino