Which Probe Agent Played

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 18, 2013
      It suddenly occurred to me to look and see what the aired agent order was during the show.

      For this look I decided to just see the lineup for continuous new episodes:

      Lockwood
      Bianco
      Grover
      Lockwood
      Bianco
      Bianco
      Lockwood
      Grover
      Lockwood
      Lockwood

      1 1-01 166-111 13/Sep/72 The Murrow Disappearance
      2 1-02 166-114 20/Sep/72 One of Our Probes Is Missing
      3 1-03 166-116 27/Sep/72 Short Circuit
      4 1-04 166-113 04/Oct/72 Moonrock
      5 1-05 166-118 11/Oct/72 Live Men Tell Tales
      6 1-06 166-115 25/Oct/72 Operation Iceman
      7 1-07 166-119 01/Nov/72 The Bullet
      8 1-08 166-117 08/Nov/72 In Search of Midas
      9 1-09 166-120 15/Nov/72 The Adonis File
      10 1-10 166-122 22/Nov/72 Flight to Nowhere

      5, 3 and 2.  If O'Brian was their marquee star, they are 3 months into an 8 month season, and only have 3 new Lockwood shows to go.

      Maybe the strategy was to front load the top star to hook people on the show at the beginning of the season, and then let the other two carry the back end of the season.

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 19, 2013

        Hello John

             Considering the only other template for star rotation is ‘The Name Of The Game’, it would probably make sense to do a comparison to that to see if there was a similar pattern. Other than the change in PROBE HQ, the series could be shuffled and still have some sense of order. The release could be done purely based on what was ready first.

        Geoff

        ***************  Geoff Willmetts    editor, SFCrowsnest.org.uk  and other suffixes ****************

        To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 19, 2013
          The first ten episodes of Name Of The Game aired on NBC starred:

          Tony Franciosa
          Robert Stack
          Gene Barry
          Tony Franciosa
          Robert Stack
          Gene Barry
          Tony Franciosa
          Gene Barry
          Gene Barry
          Robert Stack

          On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 5:37 AM, gf willmetts <gfwillmetts-2@...> wrote:

          Hello John

               Considering the only other template for star rotation is ‘The Name Of The Game’, it would probably make sense to do a comparison to that to see if there was a similar pattern. Other than the change in PROBE HQ, the series could be shuffled and still have some sense of order. The release could be done purely based on what was ready first.

          Geoff

        • Mike Walton (Settummanque)
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 19, 2013

            That was a show I also enjoyed watching....especially the ones with Tony Franciosa and Susan St. James.

            Anyone knows how I can view old episodes of Search?

            Settummanque!
            --
            Settummanque is writer, retired military officer, dad, friend,
            traveler, public speaker, webmaster, Eagle Scout, and/or "sweetie"
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 19, 2013
              This got me thinking a little. (I know; that's a bad thing.   ;)   )

              But after reading what Geoff said and looking at some of the stills (again - as if I don't look at them enough), at least for the first ten episodes, it looks (to my eye) like Cameron's hair is styled differently in the Lockwood eps than it is in the Bianco/Grover eps. In the Lockwood ones, Cam's hair seems darker, and somewhat "slicked". In the Bianco/Grover ones, his hair is lighter (more grey?) with no "slicking" to it (it looks "fluffier" for lack of a better word).

              Is it possible that after the "PROBE" pilot, Lockwood was intended to be the main/only agent working for WSC's PROBE Division (at least in Cam's "PROBE Control Unit One", as the pilot established that more than one PROBE Control Unit existed), and that after filming those five episodes Hugh O'Brian decided that he didn't want to commit to another weekly series grind? That he would prefer to work on a less grueling schedule, or other projects as well? And that Leslie Stevens - knowing how well the rotating lead was working with 'Name of the Game' as well as the 'Mystery Movie', that he then brought in the other PROBE agents to fill out the series?

              That could explain the difference in the look of Cam's hair, Geoff's idea of "front loading" the series, and the presence of only ONE Lockwood story in the last eight episodes. (Just a hypothesis. Plausible?)

              End Run,

              To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 20, 2013

                  Be interesting to know more about the 90-minute version of Probe/Search.  Remember when Jim spoke with Hugh at the autograph show around 2002 or so.  Hugh said that Lockwood was originally to have been the only Probe agent. While he enjoyed doing the pilot, he didn't want to do the series because of the time demands of starring in every episode.  It was when they went with the 3-rotating leads idea that Hugh relented and decided to do the series.

                  I wonder if the 90-minute version may have been along the lines of ABC's "Six Million Dollar Man"?  When that series began, it was with a few 90-minute shows which aired on a monthly or semi-monthly basis.  The ratings were apparently good enough for ABC to go ahead and commit to a weekly one-hour series.

                  On Cameron's hair, you'll have to look over pics from episode to episode in Production Order, not NBC order.  The listing of scripts John has at probecontrol dot artshost dot com includes the production number for each episode.

                  On The Name of the Game, the original pilot movie starred Tony Franciosa, and the first episode of the series was a Franciosa episode with Gene Barry included in a number of cameo scenes.

                  An article by Marilyn Beck which ran the week of March 1, 1971 said this:  "Universal's Name of the Game has had low ratings since Tony Franciosa was fired.  As one studio insider puts it, 'I know this won't sit well with Bob Stack and Gene Barry, but Franciosa was the one factor which kept the series alive.'"