Re: [probe_control] ITC 1999 Protectors

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 18 3:08 PM
      For whatever reason, the Andersons decided to change the second year of UFO
      by moving it from 1980 to 1999, and expanding the size and scope of
      Moonbase. They did quite a bit of pre-production when ITC New York said
      the ratings were dropping on UFO, and killed plans for a second year.
      Gerry went to Grade and suggested they take all of that work and turn it
      into a new show about a moonbase. New York would only give the approval if
      Gerry guaranteed that there was no way for any Earth based episodes (NY
      Head Abe Mandell hated the UFO episode that dealt with Straker's son.)
      After rejecting the idea of blowing up the Earth, Gerry suggested blowing
      the moon out of orbit.

      So UFO 1999 was going to concentrate on the moonbase fighting the aliens
      invading Earth, but Earth was still in one piece.

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 19 1:23 PM
        Found this article on Fred Freiberger while looking for something else. While the author calls this a fictional interview, it is actually a compilation of several different sources. A lot of ground is covered in some detail, including Star Trek, Wild Wild West, Space 1999, and others.

        http://travisclemmons.blogspot.com/2012/09/authors-note-while-following-interview.html

        So many things came together at once to work against what was going on during the third season of Star Trek. Not emphasized in the article is the fact that so many of the better writers who worked Trek during seasons one and two were no longer contributing to the series. Also not mentioned was the departure of several of the better directors who had worked the series earlier.

        So with the third season (which was a minor miracle that it was produced), we ended up with a handful of episodes that were fairly good to okay, much of the rest being fair to mediocre, then there were a few dogs such as "Spock's Brain" and "The Way to Eden." Considering what they were up against, that's not *too* disastrous a turnout. While we fans couldn't really be faulted for having high expectations based on the quality of the first two seasons, we also didn't fully know what was happening behind the scenes either. I appreciate the third season as an entity more nowadays for those reasons. :)

        ---------------------------------------

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 20 12:29 AM
          Geoff,

          According to "The Space Shuttle Operator's Guide" (I think that's the title of the book), which I have a copy of and is what they gave the shuttle crews to study as part of their training, it states that the rescue ball was indeed intended for orbital rescue - transferring crewmembers unable to get into space suits from a damaged/disabled shuttle to the rescue shuttle. It may have also worked for an ocean landing, but its primary use is stated as for rescue in space.

          Exploding windows: I wasn't disagreeing with you there. I've seen that 'UFO' episode, as well as the exploding windows in '1999''s "Breakaway" as well as that "dream sequence" episode I can't remember the title of - the one where Alpha supposedly gets attacked and almost destroyed, and Dr. Mathias gets blown out of Sick Bay when the window blows out while he's trying to patch it. (Approx. 21 psi inside, 0 psi space vacuum outside, cracked window, equals explosive decompression.) The word you had used in your comment was "implode", rather than "explode". That's the only thing I wanted to bring to your attention. (Probably just a typo, though.)

          Suits interfering with Series 2 of 'Space: 1999': I really have no rebuttal for that one. I was only repeating what Gerry Anderson had said about it in that SciFi Channel interview sometime back in the mid 1990s.

          'Knight Rider', Season 4: They did have some good stories, but at that point they'd "automated" the semi to basically drive itself most of the time. (I forget the episode, but this was mentioned in dialogue). Yes, they did shake up the formula, and KITT's Super Pursuit Mode and the Emergency Braking System were sort of cool to look at, but - like RC3 and his motorcycle troubles - I think they played too heavily on it. Several stories never used the "SPM/EBS" for more than a few seconds of screen time so it was obvious they put it in just for the sake of using them. Other stories used them to great affect. Still, at least two of the stories that I can think of that made no use of the SPM or the EBS were some of the best ones of Season 4.

          'ST: Enterprise': I totally agree with you there. In Season 1 and 2 those stories were intermittent so were tolerable. What really killed the show (aside from fans tuning out at the mention of "phase pistols" and "photonic" torpedoes) was that dead end Season 3 season-long story arc. Even the hardcore fans lost interest in it after the 4th or 5th episode, tuning back in for the last 3 or 4 episodes just to see how things would end, only to be disappointed by a cliffhanger that took Season 4 several episodes to resolve (and it involved that now-irritating time travel - with aliens working with Nazis in WWII!). Also the total discard of stand-alone episodes in favor of 2- and 3-part story arcs on Friday nights, when people wanted to go out and let off some steam after working al week, was a horrid idea. And unfortunately Season 4 did have some of the best stories. Another thing that turned the "Stitch Nazis" and "Rivet Counters" off from Day-1 was the opening theme; I don't know how many times I heard fans say that as soon as the theme started they turned it off and never turned it on again.
          Others did the same once they saw the uniforms - using the TNG pattern for the department color piping on the shoulders and the rectangular rank pips rather than sleeve stripes. (Honestly, I can't blame them for that.) Why would Starfleet go from that uniform to what we saw CAPT Pike and the crew wear in the 1st Pilot, and with slight alterations to sleeve stripes Kirk and company wear in the 2nd Pilot, and then in the Original Series, and then take those 'Enterprise' uniforms and turn them into the TNG et al uniforms? Well, most fans said they wouldn't, thought it was stupid, and never watched the show. And then there was the ship herself, dubbed the "AKIRAPRISE" because she was a recycled AKIRA Class from DS9 and looked too futuristic inside and out for the time period. (Remember, these fans were comparing everything with what was already established in TOS, and 'Enterprise' made it look like Starfleet went from 'Enterprise' technology to things more primitive in TOS.)
          And like with RC3 and his motorcycle, they played up the crew's fear of the transporter waaay too long. They used it without incident quite a few times in Season 1, including in the Pilot, and they were still afraid to use it in Season 2, even though again they HAD to use it in quite a few episodes. And they were still afraid to use it even in Season 4. That plot device got really old, really fast. So did the plot device of Humans not trusting the Vulcans and vice versa, and the Vulcans refusing to share technology (like deflector shields and tractor beams) with the Humans. Again this went against everything established in TOS et al and was milked out for far too long.
          If they'd done something with the Romulan War (as mentioned in TOS) and handled it the way they did DS9's war with The Dominion - with stand-alone episodes and the occasional battle thrown in to keep viewers reminded that a war was going on - and not played up the other things I mentioned - like you, I think 'Enterprise' would have stood a chance of getting to its Season 7.

          The Protectors: Agreed. 'UFO', 'Space: 1999' - both one-hour shows with some episodes using (no doubt for ITC's wallet) expensive SFX. 'The Protectors' didn't require any SFX, except maybe for a few bullet ricochet sparks and the occasional car explosion. So why didn't that show get a 'one-hour' (48 minutes) per episode format? I'm sure the budget was there for it. Still, something must have worked; it got a two-series run, with 26 episodes per series for a total of 52 episodes. (And I kind of liked it.)

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 20 1:30 AM
            From what I read, it was because the 'UFO' episodes that took place in space or heavily involved Moonbase were the most popular, so Series 2 was supposed to be centered on the expanded Moonbase with very little action taking place on Earth. And you're right; Earth was still in one piece.

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 20 7:10 AM
              In 1970, the FCC took an hour away from the networks. The affiliates
              simply bought off-network reruns for the open time. The FCC then said it
              had to be new programming. So a market opened up for independently
              produced half hour programs. Remember shows like Primus, Dr. Simon Locke,
              etc? I don't have any documentation to confirm this, but I have always
              thought that Protectors was created to take advantage of that market.

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Time_Access_Rule

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 20 11:15 AM
                Hello
                John

                If that was done today, I think they�d
                chuck a quiz show or sit-com than an adventure show into such a slot.

                To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
                From: actingman6@...
                Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 10:10:39 -0400

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 20 12:18 PM
                  They did back then.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 21 2:24 AM
                    Hello John

                    Were any of
                    the programmes remembered??

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 21 7:00 AM
                      Price Is Right, To Tell The Truth, Hollywood Squares, Match Game PM, Gong
                      Show, Dusty's Trail, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune...just off the top of my
                      head.

                      With the exception of the one I mentioned above, all of the sitcoms I can
                      think of are from the 80's and later. But I am sure someone will chime in
                      with some.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 21 11:27 AM
                        Hello
                        John

                        From that list, we had UK versions of Price Is
                        Right, Hollywood Squares (ours was called Celebrity Squares) and Wheel of
                        Fortune