Uniqueness

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013
      Hello
      Jim

      The question is whether or not this group
      is unique for having people who are all in their mid-50s?? After all, generations
      later would never have seen �Search�.

      Hello
      Martin

      The mis-care of pensioners in care homes
      over here has been in the press a lot lately. The National Health Service,
      especially under the current Coalition Government over here, has had a few
      problems in recent years but has always been able to pick itself up and sort
      out things where there are problems.

      I think what I find frightening about the
      US health care of the elderly is that there is less control over what they do
      to your pensioners, especially if there isn�t unlimited funds or a good
      insurance plan.

      There�s a strong argument for your tax
      system to take in a few more cents per person to ensure the seriously sick elderly
      are looked after properly. I say cents because when you multiply up the
      population that makes for a lot of money.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013
        >... The question is whether or not this group is unique for having people who are all in their mid-50s?? After all, generations
        later would never have seen �Search�.
        ================
        Well, I think that the so-called 'demographic' of the SEARCH group is indicative of shows made in that era. Other Facebook (and Yahoo) groups I belong to, such as IT TAKES A THIEF, and even the PLANET OF THE APES movies, to a certain extent--are going to be populated by 'our ilk.' :) I'm sure that Don Harden has the same type of experience with his NAME OF THE GAME Facebook group, etc.

        Jim

      • Robert McNay
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013
          Visit any model railroading group. We aren't terribly unique and no where near the oldest average age.

          RLM

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013
            I think Geoff's question was based on the fact that you pretty much had to
            be at least a certain age when Search originally aired to have seen it to
            know about it. There has been no chance to see it today unless you knew to
            look for it in the trading community or if someone introduced you to it.
            Trains still run today, any number of old shows still have runs and many
            have gone to DVD you would never have expected (my usual example Good
            Morning World, which also ran on cable in the 90's.) But where can any
            large number of people see Search? I thought Cozi TV was running The Bold
            Ones for the first time since NBC did until Don told me it had already had
            an earlier run on some other specialty channel. Salvage One even got a run
            on a cable channel, so people got to watch the four episodes never
            broadcast by ABC.

            But not Search.

            So I think he is asking if we have a somewhat different situation here
            because there is no way for the fan base to renew itself.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013
              Ah. I see, John. Thank you for outlining that--and, yes, you're right, of course.

              So, SALVAGE ONE got a run on a cable channel, eh? I don't think I was aware of that. Does anyone remember which one? I'm curious.

              And, it was RetroTV (before it switched to RTV, I think?) that ran THE BOLD ONES.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013
                From Salvage One's Wikipedia Page: The last four episodes were aired in
                the early 1990s on The Nostalgia
                Channel<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nostalgia_Channel>,
                now known as Youtoo TV <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youtoo_TV>

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013
                  Veddy interestink. Thanks, John.

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 27, 2013
                    If Yootoo TV (de)volved from The Nostalgia Channel, then there was a period of time in between when it was American Life TV. I never saw it when it was Nostalgia, but as American Life it aired lots of '60 and '70s TV shows (Thursday night was "Irwin Allen Night" starting at 8 PM with 'Lost In Space', then 'The Time Tunnel', and then 'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea'. They waited until later - after midnight, I think - to air 'Land of the Giants'.)

                    They ran through 'Time Tunnel' (the One-Season Wonder) twice, but for some reason always seemed to "skip tracks" with LIS and VttBotS, getting half way through Season 2 of 'Voyage' and Season 3 of LIS and starting those series from Day 1 again. (It got rather annoying; especially when they stopped airing them altogether without ever completing the series' run.) They showed other shows like 'Batman', 'Green Hornet', and a bunch more, which my feeble memory can't remember at the moment, but it was fun to watch and relive those memories.

                    When it became YooToo TV, it was an abomination. It still showed 'Green Hornet', but that 30-minute show (including adverts) that was on American Life was turned into 45 minutes of agony as we got 5 minutes of the show, and then hit with a solid 5 to 6-minute "infomercial" on 'You, too, can be on TV, and all you have to do to get on is THIS...', which was then followed by inane instructions on how to film yourself doing anything idiotic and sending the tape/DVD to the YooToo TV Channel. The spot lasted over two minutes, and then instantly repeated itself without breaking, qualifying it for infomercial status. The Channel degraded from there, replacing what few favorite re-runs it was showing with its growing collection of moronic self-shot videos and mindless talk shows about more mindless videos. It came off of my Favorite Channels list after just a couple of weeks because we couldn't stand it, especially when it did air something we wanted to watch because it was that 5 minutes of show, and increasing to 7-minute spots of 'You, too...' crap (and yes, I timed it.) Verizon dumped YooToo after only a few short months.

                    Nostalgia Channel sounds like it was great, but we had Cox Communistic (sic) in the early '90s and they didn't carry it in our area. American Life TV was also great, and we were with Verizon then and they carried the channel. YooToo was a total waste of - well - everything associated with TV: bandwidth, channel frequency, etc.

                    There is a channel that Verizon carries called RetroPlex that airs old movies and TV shows; Saturday is their Westerns day. FamNet is another good one for classic TV shows (when it's not blaring Pat Robertson at me). And now there's Antenna TV, which is showing mostly classic comedies (Andy Griffith, Hazel) and SitComs (Barney Miller, Maude [gag], Benson), as well as Adam-12, and I think 'It Takes A Thief', just to mention a few.