Unique?

    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 25, 2013
      Geoff wrote:
      >... In many ways, this chat group is more of an old boys (and the odd girl) network since we were, even us abroad, are all of the same age, give or take a year, so have a similar background with the shows back then. Looking at the skills group amongst are, like Rob Sawyer and Bob Greenberger doing something with writing :-) and the number of the others of you involved in the media with other experience, then we must be even more unique.

      Jim, you belong to many chat groups, is there enough support evidence for this??
    • martin allen
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 25, 2013
        Hi Geoff;
            Looks like I spoke too soon again. Over here, one could perhaps be excused for thinking that after nearly 60 years, that most, if not all of the bugs about National Health would have been worked out by now--let me take a wild guess--do they use the same rubric about 'skilled' vs. 'semi-skilled' care on your end as they do here?
        martin

        ________________________________
        From: zippytkat@...
        Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 20:11:27 -0700

              OK:

        Mea Culpa:

          I plainly did not see the emoticon on Robert's letter. Dino's right, I am going through a bit of hell right now and I will explain--if only because it may illuminate a situation a lot of you may find yourself faced with some day. I am currently being harrassed for money by the previous crooked rest home my father was in this time last year. (And I'm none too happy with the senior management of the one he's in now). I had thought that, based on a conversation I had with one of their business officers in another city that they would have had the decency to drop it by now. Hah, hah.

          With any luck though, things may have just changed a bit in my favor. This morning I got a call back from my father's secondary insurance carrier, Tri-Care. As I suspected, a so-called 'deal' the facility claimed they had struck with Tri-Care appears to be totally bogus. And, based on the invoice they sent me, they are giving me NO credit for monies I now believe were all but extorted out of me for a period of five months. I am going to be haunting the mailbox the next few days and see what sort of written confirmation I get as to what Tri-Care has actually paid this clip-joint. If there's as much of a discrepancy in what THEY report as I suspect there might be, my next long-form essay is to my local Congressman. (Well, I'm writing him anyway--exactly what remains to be seen). Then the senior Senator from this state and maybe a total media barrage. I WAS willing to leave well enough alone, but not anymore. You simply do not treat an almost 90-year

        old Veteran of WWII as some sort of cash cow. Especially a member of The First Marine Division. 18 islands in the Pacific Theater and he was never even grazed by a slug. A Portugese Man O'War, now that's a different story...

          Dino, I could use that VA contact info you sent me once before, so I don't have to trawl through my old e-mails, thanks. And I appreciate the back-up.

          Geoff, you must be looking at this and shaking your head at what a barbarous system we are currently stuck with and I couldn't blame you. I was struck by the unintended irony in the current issue of CinemaRetro wherein there's a capsule review/appreciation of the 1971 film, 'The Hospital', with George C. Scott., written by Paddy Chayevsky. I believe it contains a one-liner said by Scott, (much like the one in MASH), about "This isn't a hospital, it's an insane asylum!!"...well, the piece ends with a query by the writer wondering why this film isn't better known or shown more often. He's kidding, right? In this country it's amazing it was made at all--but I'm pretty damn certain it's being actively suppressed. And I don't care if that sticks in the NSA's craw--I have nothing to hide.

          Again, my apologies--the last thing I need to do is piss off any of you guys. This is one of the few groups I belong to, and I need all the friends I can get.

        My turn to say thanks for listening.

        Martin

        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 25, 2013
          Hi John,
              Thank you for the emo-support--but as far as M/C experience, I must forbear--I only have a little bit after all--two overnight stints, about a year apart, both of which came to a crashing ruin, mostly from sleep-deprivation--well, the first one was aggravated by the fact that I had barely had the job for two months when 9/11 happened, and I literally spent two weeks doing nothing but watching endless reruns of that whole conflagration...if it wasn't so bloody esoteric, I think I could make a good case for having contracted PTSD. Every ad break was canceled, as well as all satellite feeds...in fact, I ended up putting the first ads back on the channel, during an SNL re-run. I couldn't help but notice though, that every bumper was being altered on the live feed (before it went out) to remove every passing shot of the Twin Towers from the tape that I would switch from for local spots...Talk about sanitizing something on the cheap...but that's
          television today...kind of glad I'm out of it--I'd sooner stock shelves in a grocery store--something I'm actually working on, at the moment...
          martin

          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013
            And that story alone proves that you have insight that I can value.

            And it reminds me of my own experiences in radio.