9440RE: [probe_control] you people over the pond OK??

    Nov 2, 2012
      Hello
      Dino

      I think loosing local utilities is a sharp
      reminder on how reliant we are on them.

      From this side of the pond, it’s the size
      of the hurricane that shakes more and surprised there weren’t more casualties.

      One can only hope with re-building that
      your folk take note of what the Japanese did with earthquakes and improve
      buildings to survive such a battering. Granted, they haven’t out in the wilder
      states, but certainly they should in the cities.

      Geoff

      *****************
      Geoff Willmetts ***** GF Willmetts ****************************

      Commissioning
      Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.org.uk and assorted suffixes including .com and .co.uk

      We’ve
      updated our website. Please add to your links,

      Our
      Google monthly number of hits exceeds seventy million and they place us in the
      general genre than our own category. Doesn’t stop us appearing on the first
      page of any Goggle Search for Science Fiction entries.

      To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
      From: LambuLambu@...
      Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 01:45:04 -0400
      Subject: Re: [probe_control] you people over the pond OK??

      Geoff,

      I'm back up. We got a little bit of a pounding here in Virginia Beach and my area lost power for much of Monday night, and a brown-out that occurred after the power came back fried my FiOS control box, so I was without any land phone line, TV (no news of anything, just bits on the radio), and no Internet. But I'm back up now. Finally.

      I hope anyone in the New York City (my original stomping grounds) and New Jersey and the New England coastline, all of whom bore the brunt of Sandy, is doing well. I saw those two restaurants on the southern tip of City Island (Belden Point) in The Bronx, my hometown, that were completely destroyed and my heart sank. I'd eaten at each one so many times while growing up, and when the wife and I were dating and after getting married. I also saw the damage to things on Coney Island. THE CYCLONE WAS DESTROYED! I remember that roller-coaster from when I was a kid; my father rode it when he was a kid. I think it was declared a historic landmark at some point. Now it's gone, along with most of the Coney Island Playland (or did they still call it "Astroland"?). It has been a while, but it still hurts to see it.

      The saddest thing of all was the loss of the replica ship HMS Bounty (the 1962 replica) off of Cape Hatteras, NC. They lost one crewmember (Claudene Christian, descendant of Fletcher Christian of the original Bounty) though at least they recovered her, and last I saw in the news my fellow Coasties were still looking for the captain. I'd been aboard the Bounty quite a few times as she was a regular guest at Norfolk's annual Harborfest Celebration in June (along with many ships that appeared in 'The Onedin Line'). When I would drive up to NYC to visit what relatives I had there I would occasionally see her in the bay while I was crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge; her yellow trim was instantly recognizable. That one really hit me in the gut. My heart goes out to Ms. Christian's family.

      (And this is another thing that re-inforces my firm belief that Reality sucks!)