8837That Elusive Invisibility Movie

    Apr 3, 2012
      OKAY! I finally found it! (Thank you, Turner Classic Movies archive list!)

      The Movie was "Matchless", and you were right, Geoff; it was not a pilot for a series but a theatrical film (although it would have made a great pilot for a series).

      From the TCM site: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/17221/Matchless/

      "Mistaken for a spy by the Communist Chinese, New York journalist Perry "Matchless" Liston is tortured to obtain information about a lethal chemical substance. An elderly Oriental with whom he shares a cell gives Liston a ring that, when rubbed, makes him invisible for a short period of time. With the ring's help, he escapes from a Chinese firing squad but lands in the U. S. military's torture chamber for his presumed knowledge about the same chemical. He reluctantly agrees to assist U. S. intelligence forces in recovering the formula as well as samples of the substance held by Andreanu, a sinister international gangster. Aided by agent Arabella, whom he meets in London, Liston plots to get the material out of a Munich bank, but he encounters competition from foreign agent Tipsy and American traitor Hank Norris. Eventually Liston succeeds in extracting the formula and samples by employing the magical ring. Not trusting even the U. S. military with the dangerous information, Liston throws everything into the harbor at Hamburg. Unknown to Arabella, however, Liston keeps the magic ring."

      There is one small clip I could find on Youtube (which sadly doesn't show much of the invisibility thing), but I think everyone here will recognize the bad guy in it:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjAajM35yl0

      And it does have a St. John starring in it: Howard St. John. It also stars Donald Pleasance (Blofeld in "You Only Live Twice"), Sorrell Booke (Boss Hogg from "Dukes of Hazzard"), Patrick O'Neal (he's the one who gets the ring), and Henry Silva, among others.

      And the good news is it's available for Instant Viewing on Netflix! (And yes; I've already added it to my Instant Queue!) If you go to this TCM link:
      http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/17221/Matchless/user-reviews.html?view=review
      in the upper right corner there is a button where you can vote to have the movie released on home video. It's currently not available for that, but like with 'Search', if enough people vote, we could see it on DVD one day. (It will ask for your e-mail address when you vote, but that's just to make sure the same person doesn't keep voting again and again and again...)

      I'm going to bed now.