      From: Geoff Willmetts <gfwillmetts@...>
      Subject: RE: [probe_control] The Chairman
      To: "chat search" <probe_control@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 3:09 PM

      Hello David

            I was around back then don’t forget. I don’t
      think we Brits felt as intimidated by Mao as your lot were, probably because we
      were keeping an idea on the Soviet Union as well.

            From the sounds of things, the book was
      adapted to fit Gregory Peck.

      WE DON’T CHOOSE OUR RANK POSITIONS, OTHERS PUT US THERE:-

      To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
      From: worldsecanalyst@...
      Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 10:30:42 -0800

            Greeting Geoff,

      By the standards of the 1960s it was enough to say "Chairman" or "Chairman Mao" to

      inspire shock and awe.  Mao Tse-tung or Mao Zedong was seen by many as a threat

      to peace during that period especially after the split with the USSR.  President Lyndon

      B. Johnson had a morbid dread for Red China and Chairman Mao.  The movie's title

      was not as generic as you might think.  For many, the life and times of Mao Tse-tung

      is legendary.  It has been known that the present Chinese leadership would ask Henry

      Kissinger about Mao Tse-tung, Chou En-lai, and Deng Tsiao-Ping (I use the old standard

      for the Chinese personages).

      I myself read the Kennedy book about four years after I first saw the movie.  I found it

      very wanting and tasteless in comparison to the movie.  First, there are significant

      differences between the protagonists.  In the book John Hathaway is a young

      academic impersonating the son of a magnate who is granted permission to visit

      Red China and meet the Chairman.  The movie version made is easier for Hathaway

      to be a biochemist with the knowlege to solve the problem and extract the McGuffin

      to the free world.

      It is a very different China after Mao Tse-tung.  The Bamboo Curtain had been

      dismantled.

           End Run,

           David in MA

      --- On Sun, 2/2

      From: Geoff Willmetts <gfwillmetts@...>

      Subject: [probe_control] The Chairman

      To: "chat search" <probe_control@yahoogroups.com>

      Date: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 7:03 AM

      Hello David

            The problem with ‘The Chairman’ as a title

      is its too generic. It looks like a board of directors, even back in the 70s

      (on TV not cinema by the way when I think I saw the opening). I think I would

      have gone for a title more appropriate to Hathaway’s predicament for the film.

      After all, it was also released under the title ‘The Most Dangerous Man In The

      World’ which is also vague. Who does it refer to: Hathaway or Mao?? Is there

      any major differences between the book and film before I go after the former??

            I saw a couple of the extras on the DVD yesterday

      including a more explicit scene with Ziena Merton

      which I presume was in the rest of the world cut?? Back in those days there

      were very few oriental or oriental looking actresses, let alone actors, over

      here and these three were the most regularly used. Eric Young appeared all over

      the place, including ‘The Champions’ pilot and the SF film ‘Invasion’ where I

      remembered him most from. Burnt Kwouk was already legendary.

      WE DON’T CHOOSE OUR RANK POSITIONS, OTHERS PUT US THERE:-