8165Re: [probe_control] New Article Scans Posted to Photos

    Jan 1, 2012
      I read the article on "SEARCH Series Gets A New Look" and I can't agree that it was a move for the better. Changing PROBE Control from the dark, covert operations center look to a "concrete wall to 'contain' this room". It did nothing to still allow it to keep the look of a "secret operation center". What it did was make PROBE Control look like the average data processing centers of the day. I'd seen several; my friend's uncle owned them and I would hang out there once in a while when my friend did some part-time work for his uncle.

      As to the "lighting" playing a large part: true, lighting does play a huge role in any production, whether TV series or major motion picture. However, I don't understand Harpman's reasoning when he says of their art director "He is using less striking colors... By more use of simple lighting, a better color balance is achieved".

      The art director went from using red lighting in the dark set (used in most covert ops centers where things are dark and lit mostly by red lighting - I've worked in some of them in the military - to using lighting that made everything in the white/extremely pale grey PROBE Control look strikingly blue. So, going from mostly red to mostly blue with little other colors; how is that a "better color balance"?

      The redesign was a bad move all around in my book. If they wanted to change the look of PROBE Control, they should have just brightened the lighting in the existing set: lose the red lights and use white lighting, like in the beginning of the Pilot when Lockwood and Cameron had their meeting with Dr. Laurent, like in these stills here:
      http://probecontrol.artshost.com/Episodes/imagepages/Probe011.html
      http://probecontrol.artshost.com/Episodes/imagepages/Probe018.html
      http://probecontrol.artshost.com/Episodes/imagepages/Probe019.html

      Even this very first shot of PROBE Control from the pilot:
      http://probecontrol.artshost.com/Episodes/imagepages/Probe002.html
      is brighter, and has more "color balance" than what they did with the bright, rearranged set.

      Just turning up the lights should have been enough to lighten the mood of things if they thought it was "eerie" and didn't like the "limbo or infinity" aspect (which is what most of us think made the show the success it initially was).

      End Run,