7452RE: [probe_control] Diamonds as stepping stones

    Jul 1, 2011
      Hello Martin

      Yeah! The full Dr. Laurent scene is there.
      You�ll have to forgive me for going into analytical mode but has anyone ever
      wonder on Cameron�s comments that the TV scanner used to be larger. I wonder
      what the earlier size was?? It couldn�t have been too large or it would have
      been too obvious.

      By the by, I haven�t checked back to the
      original script but does Lockwood call Gloria �Angel� in their last scene
      together as a mistake or an endearment??

      Re: Entourage Collection. Considering that
      they were supposed to be missing for
      some 30 years, what was Streeter using as financial credentials in the diamond
      business??

      If Streeter was using other gems for a
      similar purpose, just how do you do?? Do you loan them out?? Security??

      The Nazis held on to a lot of treasures
      with various of them keeping various things back for themselves.

      To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
      From: zippytkat@...
      Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 04:53:56 -0700
      Subject: Re: [probe_control] Diamonds as stepping stones

      Hi Geoff and all:

      Nice to know the PROBE disc is out and looks good. I'll order it in a few days--no sense stalking the mailbox any more than I already am.

      One thing I gotta know--is that FULL version of the intro scene of Dr. Laurent in there?

      There's a short line or two of extra dialogue (from the audio of the network run), not in either cut of the pilot we've had from syndication, right before Lockwood finally gets on the phone. You guys notice the diamond bumpers, I catch stuff like this...

      As to how diamonds are used to gain power, I had to ruminate over this a while myself, as I'm not ever likely to be in such a position--and then it hit me:

      Diamonds are nothing more than a superior sort of trinket--the only value they have is in what people put into them. They are used either as a reward or a bribe, all sentimentality aside. And it is bribery that gives them their ultimate hold over people--with the right rock in the wrong hands, you gain access to the people who you REALLY want to talk to...

      If they had been real, Hitler could have cared less about the Entourage Collection. If he wanted the stones that badly, he'd have had one of his thugs fetch them. He wouldn't have kept them for himself--oh, he'd have probably given Eva the Austrian Yellow and maybe shut up Benito with one of the lesser stones--like the pink one, but he would have used the others for influence peddling.

      As the damn things fell into the hands of lesser Nazis at the end of the war, you can bet that they were used, and used often, to bribe or seduce whoever was necessary to exploit for the funds and equipment to keep the Fourth Reich a going concern.

      I wouldn't be surprised if Frau Ullman and Herr Streeter pulled one sort of 'pigeon-drop' after another over the years, financing not only their Nazi buddies, but a nice lifestyle on the sides for themselves. (I bet we find out 'Whitey' Bulger knocked off a few more people during his so-called 'retirement'--$800,000 cash when they busted him? He sure didn't win that playing pinnocle)...

      In short, you can bet that the courier, last known holder of the collection as the story opens, wasn't the first to die by violence where any of these rocks were concerned--and I'm betting he was far from the last.

      Martin

      From: Geoff Willmetts <gfwillmetts@...>

      Subject: [probe_control] Bridge and PROBE

      To: "chat search" <probe_control@yahoogroups.com>

      Date: Thursday, June 30, 2011, 7:10 AM

      Hello Dino

      Re: wounding. It was like a black US

      comedian on one of the shows over here talking as though we�d never heard of

      Benjamin Franklin, although he did admit on earlier shows that he felt deeply

      unintelligent compared to the others on the show over here.

      Re: quiet authority. Oh, I�m very much

      noticed. Just that I don�t have to flaunt it. People find it easy to talk to me

      even without the manacles, as Rob Sawyer should testify.

      Smith in �Lost In Space� was mellowed

      considerably from the opening episodes. If you had such a person with you on a

      spaceship, the first place you would invite him would be out the airlock as

      quickly as possible. If he�d kept that menace up, you would think all the

      Robinsons stupid to even sleep in his presence.

      Re: Matt Smith as the Doctor. There�s also

      a greater understanding of what he is these days. Smith has an ageless quality to

      him which helps a lot.

      Re: �The Beginning� DVD set. There were

      always hints from episode one that neither the Doctor and Susan were exactly

      human although the exact physiological differences weren�t addressed until the

      opening Pertwee story. It�s hinted in the Telos Books publications that Ian and

      Barbara�s presence mellowed the Doctor�s nature into helping more.

      Hartnell was also in

      the first version of �Brighton Rock� as a police detective, too. A lot of

      British actors, especially back then were character than lead actors.

      The American system,

      and please any of you correct me if I�m wrong, tends to want to watch the lead actor

      more than the part they play. I can�t remember which part he was playing but a

      director told James Coburn what he really wanted and his reply was , �You want

      me to act�, and then obliged him.

      Re: Man From UNCLE. The

      boxset is a little pricey but worth watching. The first season is more cold

      war.

      Re: the Enterprise

      bridge. Probably the closest to the US design I�ve seen was in �The Final

      Countdown� of the Nimitz, which was the real thing, and that doesn�t look like

      the Enterprise. I think I need to choose my words more carefully. Being based

      on doesn�t mean it was an exact copy. You have a captain�s chair and in easy

      reach of other stations to be informed of what he or she needs to know to give

      out orders.

      From my perspective, I wouldn�t

      even have a bridge if you have decent communication devices, because the

      computer links would provide all of that but I guess you need a place where the

      command staff can be seen to be doing their jobs, the equivalent of a bar or

      surgery in standard soaps. All the Starfleet vessels have been vastly

      over-manned.

      As to voice loudness. I

      thought on ship bridges, shouting also ensured that other officers knew what

      was going on as well??

      Don�t you find it odd

      that a Starfleet is run as a navy when it really should have been given control

      as an air force??

      Now to everyone

      Watched PROBE last

      night. Wrote my review this morning.

      Odd things. I�m hoping

      it was only my television but did the stereo theme music sound a little wobbly

      or was I too far off centre to the screen??

      We definitely didn�t

      have both jewel switches on scene changes over here.

      I thought Alfie Ryder

      had a mostly non-speaking part here and only with he was in the restaurant

      realised he had more lines there.

      Can someone explain to

      me how jewels can be used for stepping stones to power without actually selling

      them off??

      Can I hazard a guess

      that it was Frida Ullman who delivered the Austrian Yellow to Streeter in the

      States??

      There�s always extra

      things you can catch on repeat viewing.