4856Re: Probe Control Re-imagined

  • Merlin David Avatar
    Nov 20, 2007
      Ok then, how about the "NORAD" mock-up used in the old
      movie "Wargames". I think that too has possibilities although it too
      would have to be updated. There are also several "control Rooms"
      from various James Bond movies that could fill the bill.

      But as my good friend Dennis Miller is fond of saying: "That's just
      MY opinion, but I could be wrong."

      Of course, anything that would bring a revival of our Favorite
      series, even as a mini-series of one-time movie.

      Merlin

      --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Willmetts
      <gfwillmetts@...> wrote:

      > Hello Dino
      >
      > The problem is that series like 'Alias' and our own [Spooks] (usa
      title: MI5) use similar trechniques to Search to keep up with their
      agents.

      > Geoff********* GF Willmetts ****************************
      Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
      http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY
      MAGAZINE THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER WE DON'T CHOOSE OUR
      RANK POSITIONS, OTHERS PUT US THERE:- AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1
      most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo
      Yahoo ranks SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy
      / DMOZ DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the
      Internet http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/
      Google Google ranks SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the
      Internet
      http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fanta
      sy/ ***************************************************

      > To: probe_control@...: richardperez@...: Tue, 20 Nov 2007
      08:42:46 -0500Subject: Re: [probe_control] Probe Control Re-imagined

      > I vote for the GE center design. Perfect for a 'command center'
      look.Dean G. wrote:>> Greetings, All,>> I know it's probably been
      ages since I've had anything to> contribute (no, it HAS been ages).
      So, since the group has been> UNUSUALLY quiet this month I thought
      I'd share some interesting> possibilities with everyone.>> Since
      every so often the topic of 'how would Probe Control look>
      if "Search" was revived as a modern series?' comes up, I bring it
      up> now and I pass on something that came to my attention courtesy
      of> NASA Tech Briefs:>>
      http://www.techinteriors.com/installations.htm >
      <http://www.techinteriors.com/installations.htm>>> Personally, I can
      see several of these as strong contenders (mind> you, each of the
      following would need a few modifications to lighting> to give it the
      true feeling of our beloved Probe Control):>> the "GE Operations
      Center" could present the feel of Probe Control> from the pilot
      movie - containing several Probe Control Units;>> the "Security
      Console" would give it that "bridge of the Galactica"> feeling
      (either Galactica actually);>> the "Global Command Center Console",
      layout-wise, best captures the> general arrangement of the original
      Probe Control;>> now take the back chair away from the "Call Center
      Console", add it> to the "Security Console" above as Cameron's
      console, and you> complete the feeling.>> Now, while "Control Room
      Console and Mobile Video> Wall", "Monitoring Station", and "Military
      Command Console" each have> their merits, I couldn't get past their
      having a strong feeling of> being in a Batcave, regardless of
      lighting.>> End Run,> Dino>> [Non-text portions of this message have
      been removed]