2632Re: Editing (The Derelict)

    Apr 1, 2004
      --- In probe_control, "Morningstar" wrote:
      > And, I have been watching "Lost in Space" every Wednesday. The
      > episodes are good, but Fox screwed up this collection. I am only
      > through the third episode, but they messed up the intro on episode
      > 2, "The Derelict." Plus, there is no commentary or any other extras.

      Hi Morningstar: On "The Derelict," I guess you mean that episode
      begins immediately with the opening credits, then goes to the
      program. (This is the only episode which does that.)

      My understanding is that the episode aired that way on network and in
      syndication. EVERY syndicated showing I've seen has aired that way.
      Looking at the episode "teaser," for some reason it runs some 12
      minutes or more, much longer than the average LIS teaser. It's
      actually more like a teaser and Act 1 combined.

      My belief is that somehow it was determined that the opening credits
      came too late into that particular episode. After all, this was only
      the second episode, and a new show's identification with the audience
      may have been the deciding factor in where the opening credits were
      placed. That's just a guess. :-)

      I strongly doubt that Fox intentionally messed with the episode. The
      idea of digitizing to DVD is to do straight conversions of the
      original 35mm prints as the network aired them.

      I understand the cliffhangers are intact, but do the LIS episodes
      contain the mid-episode bumpers, "LIS will return after station
      identification," "LIS has been brought to you by," etc.?

      --Don H.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic