2626Re: Editing

  • Morningstar
    Apr 1, 2004
      Well, the problem is not really the writing, although it is part of
      the problem. The real problem is the producers and networks. I don't
      mean that as an insult, but a reality.

      For instance, Fox took a gamble on "American Idol." It was a copy of a
      show that did well in Great Britain called "Pop Idol." Now, it is all
      "American Idol" all the time. "Survivor" started in Great Britain, now
      it is the cornerstone of CBS.

      While I like "CSI: Miami" it is an off shoot of "CSI." The same goes
      for "Law & Order." Producers and networks go with what works. When
      something is successful, the networks say "Get me a reality show. Get
      me a crime show. Get me a lawyer show." It has been this way forever.

      Back in the late eighties, remember "Space Rangers?" That came about
      because "Star Trek: The Next Generation" was making money. So, get me
      some science fiction show. However, few people know how to write good
      science fiction. Science fiction, as we know, is for a higher minded
      person. We are comfortable with technology, so when we watch Lockwood
      do something, he has to be right scientifically. It might be similar
      when a policeman following the laws, or a lawyer doing his business in
      court. But, while most people know some of the law, fewer know about
      science.

      A girlfriend of mine made a comment that in "Star Trek: The Voyage
      Home" that the director and producers took pride in the intelligence
      of their audience by showing the Enterprise with the registry
      NCC-1701-A, and not having it specifically mentioned by the actors.

      You mentioned "Babylon 5." I really liked that show. It was great. I
      liked the writing, and the way the characters had backgrounds and
      foibles. I think that J. Michael Staczinsky is a great writer.

      Again, however, people have screwed up. For some reason J. Michael
      Straczinsky left "Jeremiah." Why would producers do things to drive
      someone as creative as him?

      "Beauty and the Beast" was also a well written show. I have spoken to
      George R. R. Martin and found him to be quite clever. Again, it is the
      writing that carries a show.

      With this new change in television production, with dvd and television
      on demand, perhaps this will be the turning point for creativity. ABC
      screwed up with "Monk." They let it slip through their fingers, and
      now it is a hit on USA.

      Again, it is the different that is a hit. Producers don't like to take
      chances. They would rather have a mediocre show that lasts than have a
      glorious failure.

      Just my nickel.