2624Re: [probe_control] Re: Editing

  • C. Dixon
    Apr 1, 2004
      --- Morningstar <amstar@...> wrote:
      > I am just about to stop watching broadcast
      > television all together.
      > Right now I am watching only about six shows, and
      > half of them are
      > "Law & Order" and "CSI."
      I think I am right up there with you! I ordered cable
      for my kids, and had hoped that the extra channels
      would carry something interesting, unusual or just
      plain entertaining.
      The most fun I have is watching the cat when we have
      Animal Planet on. Since he actually watches it
      (especially the "Animal Cops" series) HE is more
      entertaining than the tube is.
      Maybe part of the problem is that writers today have
      been turned out of "puppy mills" (no pun from the
      cat). They have been taught to write inside the
      bubble, and all the shows seem to be similar in a lot
      of ways. Watch "Smallville", "90210", "Buffy" and
      anything that has people on it from Fox, you will see
      what I mean.
      "Enterprise" was a show I had high hopes for, and I am
      greatly dissapointed with it. It's the same stuff,
      different day. The plots evolve the same way, the crew
      reacts to situations the same way, etc.
      Here was a vehicle that could have capitalized (sic?)
      on Capt. Pike, or Robert T. April, all Kirk
      predecessors. The books are good, and have unusual
      ideas, they could have carried the way for a great
      series, kept the older audience and still had some
      CHARM for the younger generation.
      The last series I was rabid about was Babylon 5. It
      was sinister, well written, wasn't gimmick oriented
      (they used nukes for goodness sakes, in battle) and
      had good plot twists.
      24 never caught my eye, I watch CSI (not the Miami one
      tho')and Monk when I get a chance, and the news.
      My Mom has a theory, that all the good songs, good
      plots and books have been written. All the original
      themes are done with, and modern novels, shows and
      music are simply variations on a theme.
      There, off the soap box.
      End Run

      Do you Yahoo!?