      From: gf willmetts <gfwillmetts-2@...>
      To: Search Chat <probe_control@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tue, Dec 24, 2013 3:26 pm
      Subject: [probe_control] Sea a view.

      Hello Dino
            I think most humans can write, especially on the Net. For the record, I was also a quality control scientist for nearly 20 years. I just have a wide range of interests. As a writer, knowledge is power.

            Re: acting. A couple years back Richard Drefuss had been hired to come over here to do a stage musical but after some rehearsals scarpered back to the States because he realised his limitations.
            I’ve been watching the extras DVD with ‘The Two Doctors’ story from ‘Doctor Who’. What was fascinating was two half hours showing the filming of studio and location scenes with various interruptions and where the actors showed quiet patience, retook their marks and did it again. No bitching. If anything, it demonstrates you have to keep your cool and realise that anyone can make a mistake and just get on with it. It would be interesting to see a US comparison, assuming it was kept.

            Re: Downton and MacClaine. As I said, I don’t watch it. Considering how our lot can do accents, a Brit could have done it but there must have been an eye on the US market by using a real one.

            TV should never be that safe. Over here, when Mary Whitehouse was in full swing the shows didn’t lose viewers but gained them so we didn’t care and just treated her as a joke.

            Re: Scrumpy. The real rough stuff can take the varnish off the floor. You wouldn’t drink a pint but a tot and sip it. Back in my youth, you could always pick out the regular older cider drinkers because their noses were a permanent inflated red. Seriously.

            Re: Seaview. One thing you didn’t consider is Nelson might have come from a wealthy family or made his money from his own inventions. Anyone who designed the Seaview and Flying Sub must own a stack of patents.
            Don’t forget back in the 60s, no one had any real idea about futuristic subs. Compared to the real thing, the Seaview was far too roomy inside.

            Re: wet people. Is that why wet tee-shirt contests are so popular your side of the pond??
            I never mentioned anything about Atlantis being successful, only the link to remind people where they saw Duffy last.

      Geoff

      ***************  Geoff Willmetts    editor, SFCrowsnest.org.uk  and other suffixes ****************