      From: Jack Bagley <jack_bagley@...>
      To: probe_control <probe_control@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tue, Dec 24, 2013 2:33 pm
      Subject: Re: [probe_control] All Search and no play...

      Enjoying following the conversation, but I thought I would chime in with this, regarding the Seaview.  Nelson, Crane, and Morton (the only officers we regularly saw) wore standard Navy khaki uniforms, but there was one difference:  on their right collar was some kind of insignia which looks to me like an Army Transportation Corps insignia.  This was, I suppose, the NIMR officer device.  (Why they reversed what the Navy does - wear branch insignia on the left collar and rank on the right - I can't address.)  Nelson, as a flag officer, wore his four stars on each collar.

      But their dress uniforms were anything but Navy.  They were actually Army green uniforms with Navy officer striping, and no branch insignia - not even a line officer star - above the stripes.  The few times we saw Nelson's cap, it was a standard Army field grade officer cap (you can tell by the way the oak leaves on the bill are arranged), not a Navy admiral's hat.  And the cap insignia looks like a large anchor surrounded by a wreath.

      Jack

      My Blog: http://www.xanga.com/coloneljack
      My Books (now in HARDCOVER!): www.lulu.com/coloneljack
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic